Problems with installing XP on NVRaid 1 array

First of all, I'd like to say hi to everyone. I did a search on my particular problem but I couldnt find anything that could answer it. Anyway, I just built another system for myself with the specs below:

A64 3200+
GA-M55-SLI-S4
1gb PNY DDR2 PC4200
(2) WD Caviar SE 2500JS, SATAII, 250GB
BFG 7900GS
SB Audigy 2

I'm pretty happy with the way it runs right now but I'm having problems installing XP Pro if I use nvraid to create a mirrored array. I'm no stranger to RAID so I pretty much covered the basics (installed raid drivers using f6 option) but I get mixed results with every attempt. The first attempt, I created the array, installed both drivers using f6, windows xp installed properly but for no reason, the array broke and I end up with two drives. subsequent attempts yeilded different results. Sometimes, I couldn't even get pass the blue screen install portion and sometimes I get all the way to the GUI install screen and it freezes. From what I can tell, the array just breaks at random. It sometimes breaks during the intall or right after the reboot. I tried several times until I just gave up and just did a normal setup with two seperate drives.

I'd like to take a crack at it again but I need some guidance as to what I should try next or if I'm doing something wrong. If anyone has had success using nvraid, please let me know what else I should try. Another option I'm considering is to get an add-in raid card but I only have 1x PCIe slots (I'm reserving the x16 for SLI) so the transfer rate will be slowed down somewhat.

I'd like to get raid 1 working again, I'm very cautious of my data and having a raid 1 setup would keep it safe.

Any help would be appreciated, TIA!
3 answers Last reply
More about problems installing nvraid array
  1. Quote:
    I'd like to take a crack at it again but I need some guidance as to what I should try next or if I'm doing something wrong. If anyone has had success using nvraid, please let me know what else I should try. Another option I'm considering is to get an add-in raid card but I only have 1x PCIe slots (I'm reserving the x16 for SLI) so the transfer rate will be slowed down somewhat.

Just an FYI,
    PCI-E x1 =500MB/s (Single Data Lane - Both Directions)
    You wouldn't lose anything unless your taking about SCSI\Fiber.

But I would recommend your Controller card option, I have seen the SLI-S4 with raid issues on this board before. I think the -S5 addressed these issues. Anyway, a good card with meaty cache on it is worth it's weight in gold these days for many reasons, if you have the mullah.
  2. Thanks for the input, any suggestions as what add-in card should I get? Seems like most of 1x slot cards out there use the same SI chip.

On newegg, I'm looking at either this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816220004

or this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815104263

I would've preferred Promise but they don't have anything in the 1x slot form factor.
  3. Koutech looks fine, never used it but I tend to go off user ratings. Also you may want to look into a card with more than two SATA connectors. Maybe 4 or so for expandability.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Windows XP Storage Product