Sign in with
Your question

Problems with installing XP on NVRaid 1 array

Last response: in Storage
October 3, 2006 3:42:55 AM

First of all, I'd like to say hi to everyone. I did a search on my particular problem but I couldnt find anything that could answer it. Anyway, I just built another system for myself with the specs below:

A64 3200+
GA-M55-SLI-S4
1gb PNY DDR2 PC4200
(2) WD Caviar SE 2500JS, SATAII, 250GB
BFG 7900GS
SB Audigy 2

I'm pretty happy with the way it runs right now but I'm having problems installing XP Pro if I use nvraid to create a mirrored array. I'm no stranger to RAID so I pretty much covered the basics (installed raid drivers using f6 option) but I get mixed results with every attempt. The first attempt, I created the array, installed both drivers using f6, windows xp installed properly but for no reason, the array broke and I end up with two drives. subsequent attempts yeilded different results. Sometimes, I couldn't even get pass the blue screen install portion and sometimes I get all the way to the GUI install screen and it freezes. From what I can tell, the array just breaks at random. It sometimes breaks during the intall or right after the reboot. I tried several times until I just gave up and just did a normal setup with two seperate drives.

I'd like to take a crack at it again but I need some guidance as to what I should try next or if I'm doing something wrong. If anyone has had success using nvraid, please let me know what else I should try. Another option I'm considering is to get an add-in raid card but I only have 1x PCIe slots (I'm reserving the x16 for SLI) so the transfer rate will be slowed down somewhat.

I'd like to get raid 1 working again, I'm very cautious of my data and having a raid 1 setup would keep it safe.

Any help would be appreciated, TIA!
October 4, 2006 12:22:26 AM

Quote:
I'd like to take a crack at it again but I need some guidance as to what I should try next or if I'm doing something wrong. If anyone has had success using nvraid, please let me know what else I should try. Another option I'm considering is to get an add-in raid card but I only have 1x PCIe slots (I'm reserving the x16 for SLI) so the transfer rate will be slowed down somewhat.

Just an FYI,
PCI-E x1 =500MB/s (Single Data Lane - Both Directions)
You wouldn't lose anything unless your taking about SCSI\Fiber.

But I would recommend your Controller card option, I have seen the SLI-S4 with raid issues on this board before. I think the -S5 addressed these issues. Anyway, a good card with meaty cache on it is worth it's weight in gold these days for many reasons, if you have the mullah.
October 4, 2006 6:42:18 PM

Koutech looks fine, never used it but I tend to go off user ratings. Also you may want to look into a card with more than two SATA connectors. Maybe 4 or so for expandability.
!