How to copy system file from cd or usb hdd to C: drive whe..

Hello Folks.
I think I got carried away removing files via Spybot S+D ...
Computer with xp pro won't boot after cleanup with spybot .. cleaned
lots of Green coloured files found by spybot.
...Now get message " windows\ ...\ system file is missing or
corrupted "
I have a copy of that file on a Ghost image disk ( the whole image
also is somewhat corrupted + can't be reloaded ] but the system file
is retrievable + now copied to a cd disk.
QUESTION: How can I copy the missing/corrupted system file from a cd
to the c: hdd if windows won't boot ??
I don't have the original XP cd.
I have the " Ultimate Boot Disk cd " via PC World site link, but I
can't figure out how to replace that file from a cd.
Any help gratefully rec'd. Please post to NG. Thanks, -JS
6 answers Last reply
More about copy system file drive

    Hi

    Is this the error message:

    "How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307545

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    <question authority@home.org (john)> wrote in message
    > Hello Folks.
    > I think I got carried away removing files via Spybot S+D ...
    > Computer with xp pro won't boot after cleanup with spybot .. cleaned
    > lots of Green coloured files found by spybot.
    > ..Now get message " windows\ ...\ system file is missing or
    > corrupted "
    > I have a copy of that file on a Ghost image disk ( the whole image
    > also is somewhat corrupted + can't be reloaded ] but the system file
    > is retrievable + now copied to a cd disk.
    > QUESTION: How can I copy the missing/corrupted system file from a cd
    > to the c: hdd if windows won't boot ??
    > I don't have the original XP cd.
    > I have the " Ultimate Boot Disk cd " via PC World site link, but I
    > can't figure out how to replace that file from a cd.
    > Any help gratefully rec'd. Please post to NG. Thanks, -JS

    question authority@home.org (john) wrote:
    > QUESTION: How can I copy the missing/corrupted system file from a cd
    > to the c: hdd if windows won't boot ??

    Depends on your file system. If you have FAT32 then any DOS boot disk/cd
    should do. Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/ and download one if you don't have
    one. Make sure you get one with CD drivers.

    If you have NTFS then it is harder, but still doable. I would build myself a
    Bart PE CD (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/), which is a self contained Windows
    XP booting directly from CD. With this you can get full read/write access to
    your NTFS partitions, and you can copy any file to your system.

    Hello Andre.
    Yes, the c: drive on unbootable machine with xp is formatted in NTFS.
    I'll follow the below link + try making the NTFS accessible boot cd.
    Thanks

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:34:58 +0100, "André Gulliksen"
    <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote:

    >question authority@home.org (john) wrote:
    >> QUESTION: How can I copy the missing/corrupted system file from a cd
    >> to the c: hdd if windows won't boot ??
    >
    >Depends on your file system. If you have FAT32 then any DOS boot disk/cd
    >should do. Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/ and download one if you don't have
    >one. Make sure you get one with CD drivers.
    >
    >If you have NTFS then it is harder, but still doable. I would build myself a
    >Bart PE CD (http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/), which is a self contained Windows
    >XP booting directly from CD. With this you can get full read/write access to
    >your NTFS partitions, and you can copy any file to your system.

    You can get a copy of NTFS Read for DOS here
    http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm which you might be able to use to copy the
    file from the CD to your HD. If you have a Windows XP CD you could just run
    a Repair Install instead http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    <question authority@home.org (john)> wrote in message
    > Hello Folks.
    > I think I got carried away removing files via Spybot S+D ...
    > Computer with xp pro won't boot after cleanup with spybot .. cleaned
    > lots of Green coloured files found by spybot.
    > ..Now get message " windows\ ...\ system file is missing or
    > corrupted "
    > I have a copy of that file on a Ghost image disk ( the whole image
    > also is somewhat corrupted + can't be reloaded ] but the system file
    > is retrievable + now copied to a cd disk.
    > QUESTION: How can I copy the missing/corrupted system file from a cd
    > to the c: hdd if windows won't boot ??
    > I don't have the original XP cd.
    > I have the " Ultimate Boot Disk cd " via PC World site link, but I
    > can't figure out how to replace that file from a cd.
    > Any help gratefully rec'd. Please post to NG. Thanks, -JS

    Hello Again.
    I went to below pebuilder site, but the download requires win xp to
    create pe disk; I have only win 98 on my only working computer.
    -JS

    Harry Ohrn wrote:
    > You can get a copy of NTFS Read for DOS here
    > http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm which you might be able to use to
    > copy the file from the CD to your HD.

    If the HD partition is NTFS he needs NFTS write, not read.

System File CD-Rom Windows XP