Sign in with
Your question

PLEEZ HELP WITH MY IPOD

Last response: in Overclocking
October 3, 2006 6:15:55 AM

I know that this topic does not fit neatly into any forums.

I tried to install ipod linux on my ipod but screwed up pretty bad, I forgot to add 2 critical startup programs.
Now my ipod just shows a blue screen with a bunch of white words running around.

I tried everything-ipod update, and the computer doesn't recognize my ipod anymore. I tried to call apple support but the put me on hold forever, and I dont expect anyone to answer my call.

If you have any solutions pleez reply.

PS: Reset doesn't work either, it just gives me the same blue screen

More about : pleez ipod

October 3, 2006 7:16:44 AM

I suspect you'll need apple to re-flash it with sensible firmware / OS.

They will charge you for this. I don't know how much. Your best bet is to go into an Apple store if you're near one, or phone them and wait on hold.
October 3, 2006 7:26:24 AM

Wow. An iPod user that wants to run Linux. Two bad things that go worse together!!!

Sorry, I just stopped laughing.

Here are your options:

(1) Shell out another bunch of money for an inferior iPod
(2) Shell out substantially less money for a GOOD player, such as a Sandisk Sansa
(3) Wait for the Microsoft Zune and shell out money for that

What you have now is called "deadPod". Apple might fix it, altho the cost will most likely be more than the iPod is worth.

Next time, just let the mp3 player do what it does. You know, play mp3s.

Torgo
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 3, 2006 7:32:25 AM

Find a suitable container plastic or metal it doesn’t matter the correct type will have the word trash printed on it, place ipod in said container then walk, run, drive or cycle to the nearest Audio supplier and purchase a proper Mp3/4 that doesn’t have an Apple logo on it. Job done problem solved.
October 3, 2006 11:48:48 AM

You're really in the wrong place. You should be in consumer electronics, seeing as you are here though, what generation iPod do you have, G5 for Windows I presume?
The reissued firmware for the Gen5 can be found here
The windows file is located here
October 3, 2006 12:33:07 PM

The Ninja has it right, The others... well... It never ceases to amaze me what big jerks people can make of themselves on forums when simply asked for a bit of help.
October 3, 2006 12:40:06 PM

He's the one who likes mac and posting in a PC forum...IPods sucks, live with it. Like mousemonkey said, in the trash is where they belong, working or not.
October 3, 2006 12:46:05 PM

Dude, shut the f^ck up. If you can't help with someones post, please don't. Doing otherwise is just boasting your post count.
October 3, 2006 12:46:55 PM

His iPod deserved to die, as iPod's are awful.

And he derved to have it die, by attempting to mod it, most likely breaking the EULA that comes with using it.

Now he can save his allowence from mom and eventually buy a GOOD mp3 player. Maybe a Sansa or a Zune. Thats where we are trying to help him!

So please, take your preaching elsewhere.

Torgo
October 3, 2006 12:48:15 PM

All manner of fools reside here now. You are one of them. You have an obvious bias against iPods. I've got nothing against that. If the guy is asking what MP3 player to buy you recommend to him not to buy an iPod.
But when someone is asking for help on a topic, especially with expensive electronics, you don't spam the topic wtih stupid posts. No, you provide help.
If you can't help someone, go elsewhere.
October 3, 2006 1:03:23 PM

To: Torgo;

>Wow. An iPod user that wants to run Linux. Two bad things that go worse together!!!

Actually Linux is an extremely good operating system. It's not great for desktop use, but for anything server related it's by far better than Windows.

Sorry you're not intelligent enough to use it, but never mind, I'm sure you'll be ok.

To: dlmac

>IPods sucks, live with it.

Sadly for you, your spelling and grammar also suck. Never mind, mate. I'm sure you'll be ok.

>in the trash is where they belong

Oh you poor 'tard.
October 3, 2006 1:10:52 PM

Quote:
Wow. An iPod user that wants to run Linux. Two bad things that go worse together!!!

Sorry, I just stopped laughing.

Here are your options:

(1) Shell out another bunch of money for an inferior iPod
(2) Shell out substantially less money for a GOOD player, such as a Sandisk Sansa
(3) Wait for the Microsoft Zune and shell out money for that

What you have now is called "deadPod". Apple might fix it, altho the cost will most likely be more than the iPod is worth.

Next time, just let the mp3 player do what it does. You know, play mp3s.

Torgo

Dude get a grip. Linux rocks.
October 3, 2006 1:15:15 PM

"Sadly for you, your spelling and grammar also suck" - and yours is better? lol

"Oh you poor 'tard"

Or how about buried in the ground. I wouldn't mind using them for target practice.
October 3, 2006 1:20:02 PM

WHOHOOO!! I GOT 11 posts!! YEAH!!! time for you to shut up. I am helping him, I am telling him to get rid of his IPod. IMO there are better MP3 players, and I am not the only one who thinks that.
October 3, 2006 1:22:59 PM

Okay troll, seeing as you're new here, I'm going to go easy on you.
Leave.
Now.
Before I feel like reporting you.
Then you can be banned for 24hrs.
You haven't had anything productive to add to the discussion besides "urr screwed" and "iPod sux". The OP wanted to know what he could do to fix with his iPod. Nothing else.
Is the iPod a rip? Hell yes. Are there better and cheaper products out there? Definitely. Did he ask for that? No.
You seem not to see that when someone is asking for help on what to buy, then you give your opinion on what to do. Not now.
I may seem like I'm pontificating here, but in this case is it necessary. Take your 12 posts, and shove it up your ass.
October 3, 2006 1:25:50 PM

ANYWAY,
You definately should just suck it up and wait on hold for tech support because very few people here are non-fanboi's enough to help you. I personally have no idea so I'm sorry about that. :-) But my best advice is to try and get through to tech support. I thought Apple was supposed to be known for its tech support, but maybe that's not true anymore. See how much they'd want to re-flash it or if they have any techniques. Seems like you'd need special hardware to talk to the Ipod to get it straightened out...or a new chip. Well...see how much they want, and if its unreasonable, consider getting a Sansa. I wish I had gotten one and saved myself some money (then again I got my Ipod like 2 yrs ago)
October 3, 2006 1:27:17 PM

Well, now I know where those 741 posts of yours came from...your point is made, but this is still the General Discussions section, I think anything can be said if someone has an opinion. True, his are rather unproductive, but one or two comments isn't the end of the world.
October 3, 2006 1:27:50 PM

>yours is better? lol

Here's a little clue for you.

'tard is another way of saying "retard" - it has an apostrophe at the front because it's an abbreviation.

Abbreviations are also used in things like lol - which means "laughs out loud".

So, basically, you've criticised me for using an abbreviation, then used an abbreviation in the next sentence. Congratulations.

>time for you to shut up.

Nah, I don't think so.

>I am helping him

No, you're not.

>I am telling him to get rid of his IPod.

iPod, surely. You could at least learn to spell.

>IMO

This is the rub, isn't it. You think that because it's your opinion, it must be right. Well, lots of other people would disagree with you about that opinion. We're entitled to disagree. As the Ninja said, if you can't help someone, go elsewhere. You want to rant about iPods, do it in the proper place.
October 3, 2006 1:31:39 PM

Thank you for having a brain. Its getting to be few and far between.
Apple should provide a link similar to the one I provided above that allows you to flash the iPod for free.

Just for everyone, the iPod already has Linux. Its just that it runs Apples proprietary version of it. I believe that uploading your own version doesnt violate the EULA.
Ja Ne,
DaSick
October 3, 2006 1:36:50 PM

"Sadly for you, your spelling and grammar also suck" - and yours is better? lol

notice the hyphen, I am commenting on your inability to properly use the word "suck" as well nothing else, same as you were doing. but big freaking deal.

So, basically, you've criticised me for using an abbreviation, then used an abbreviation in the next sentence. Congratulations.

-No, I was not.

This is the rub, isn't it. You think that because it's your opinion, it must be right. Well, lots of other people would disagree with you about that opinion. We're entitled to disagree. As the Ninja said, if you can't help someone, go elsewhere. You want to rant about iPods, do it in the proper place.

- It is my opinion, isn't that was I said "IMO"? right or wrong it doesn't change anything about what I said.
October 3, 2006 1:39:35 PM

lol, ipod with BSOD?
i think you need to reflash.
don't know how? if it's still in warranty, RMA it
October 3, 2006 1:41:24 PM

I'm trying to put this in a way that will reach you...
.....F^ck off.
Nuff said.
October 3, 2006 1:43:40 PM

>commenting on your inability to properly use the word "suck"

Uh, that would be a "vocabulary" comment, or a "word choice" comment. I was commenting on either your spelling (writing IPods when you meant to write iPod), or grammar (pluralising words in the sentence which shouldn't be).

"suck" is a perfectly valid word used in a perfectly valid context.

>No, I was not.

Evidently - you don't know the meaning of the words "spelling" or "grammar", so why on earth should I have expected you to be criticising me for using an abbreviation. I apologise.

>It is my opinion, isn't that was

(that would be "why")

> I said "IMO"? right or wrong it doesn't change anything about what I said

No, it doesn't change anything about what you said. Neither does it change the fact that if someone has asked for help, telling them that what they have sucks isn't particularly helpful.

You are a troll, a coward, and, let's face it, not greatly intelligent. I think I'll ignore you from now on - unless I feel the need to poke more fun at your frankly abysmal spelling and grammar.
October 3, 2006 1:54:20 PM

Well, when I first saw this thread, I was going to promptly say toss the iPod and get a real MP3 player, but I'm afraid that would cause wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much controversy now.

I would have to say call tech support again, or see if you can post on their support forums. Also, google is your friend. I'm sure if you googled your question, you'd find people who would be able to provide a lot better answers than most of us. How many less threads there would be on these forums if people knew how to use google.

I believe a new firmware update might help, but I'm no expert on the iPod. If firmware update doesn't do anything, then I would say Apple is your best bet, since there's virtually nothing else we can do.

Of course, there is the last ditch solution, so many ipod's out there, find someone else's, and swap yours with his. Problem solved.

And please don't fight about stupid $hit, ya'll know who you are.
October 3, 2006 2:30:44 PM

Ok, let me just clear something up, read it or don't it does not matter. There is a difference between an error in grammar and just plain bad grammar. No?

"You are a troll, a coward, and, let's face it, not greatly intelligent. I think I'll ignore you from now on - unless I feel the need to poke more fun at your frankly abysmal spelling and grammar."

You assume a lot, I'm not the one judging you. I have know idea who you are. I said my opinion and you felt the need to bash me for it, and a few errors.
October 3, 2006 3:04:05 PM

>There is a difference between an error in grammar and just plain bad grammar. No?

This is correct. Several errors in grammar tends to imply bad grammar. You have made several errors in grammar.

Simple logic. If A implies B, and B implies C, then A implies C... Hence, bad grammar.

>You assume a lot

I do indeed.

>I'm not the one judging you

Well, actually, you decided to make a comment about *my* word choice, as well, so I guess you *are* judging me... however, I'll let this one slide. Yes, you are not judging me. I am judging you. As a troll.

>I have know idea who you are.

That would be "no"

>I said my opinion

In a particularly obnoxious and irritating way.

>and you felt the need to bash me for it

BECAUSE OF THE OBNOXIOUSNESS AND IRRITATINGNESS!

>and a few errors

Not just you, that's just 'cause I'm a grammar Nazi. You should see some of my other posts.

Let's get one thing straight. I have no problem with your opinion. You are entitled to it. The issue that I, and Ninja have with you (plus a few others) is that you are replying to a request for help with abuse. That is not acceptable behaviour - that is the behaviour of a troll and a coward. Hence, me accusing you of being a troll and a coward...
October 3, 2006 3:25:55 PM

Well, I guess we can agree to disagree. You obviously do not see my point.

"Well, actually, you decided to make a comment about *my* word choice, as well, so I guess you *are* judging me... however, I'll let this one slide. Yes, you are not judging me. I am judging you. As a troll."

...and unintelligent, coward.

I did not judge you personally, I do not think you have bad grammar based on one word, you did judge me based on a few of mine. I saw a bad choice in grammar and wrote about it. You used "suck" when you should have you "sucks" am I wrong? That does not make you unintelligent or a coward, just an error.

I am saying what I believe and if I have done something wrong then I will admit it. It is hardly enough to be called a coward. I will refrain from stating my distinct opinion on this forum I apologize. Sorry, I am not perfect, but some constructive criticism world be more appreciated.
October 3, 2006 3:28:38 PM

i think u need to change your account name

- and u care about grammer ?

[DIE] NEWBIE [/DIE]

=/

anyway, about the ipod .... if u can open it in windows, u know as a disk drive then go to its options and reformat it, then u run the software that formats it and puts all the ipod udpates/firmware in it ( if u can find the software )
October 3, 2006 3:34:43 PM

Hey, my grammar is not perfect. It is more often an oversight then not knowing good grammar.

>and u care about grammer ?

grammar

I try.

>i think u need to change your account name.

because?
October 3, 2006 3:57:39 PM

Quote:

>i think u need to change your account name.

because?

your annoying :D 

Stop trolling please

DIE NEWBIE DIE!!!
October 3, 2006 4:01:05 PM

Where's Wingy when you need him...
October 3, 2006 4:02:13 PM

Quote:
Where's Wingy when you need him...

he said he was at some funeral, some old guy died and he went to "pay his respects" wait a mintue ..... 8O
October 3, 2006 4:03:29 PM

Wingy + funeral + dead bodies = ..... This can't be legal
October 3, 2006 4:12:39 PM

8===D

srry .....
October 3, 2006 4:23:45 PM

I've read about iPod Linux before. I know that on the iPod Linux site they talk about what to do if you junk the install. Have a look in the troubleshooting maybe. Here is the link. http://ipodlinux.org/Troubleshooting

Kevin
October 3, 2006 6:23:38 PM

That was awesome. I wonder if the OP even bother reading past the 5th post lol.
October 3, 2006 9:25:48 PM

>judging you

Right. In the cold hard light of... wait, it's the evening.

In the cold, hard darkness of the evening, I may have been a little harsh. If you're not being a troll, I apologise for calling you unintelligent. You are correct, you did not judge me personally.

I apologise for calling you a coward (if, as I said, you're not trolling), and I can accept that you may have intended your comment to be helpful.

So. I was in the wrong. I apologise.

Having said that, your comments about what to do with his iPod were not constructive. They were not helpful. They were not, for want of a better word, nice. I personally believe that you owe redkangavoosa an apology.

You're entitled to state your opinion. My point was just that it wasn't stated very well. Although my point was hidden behind a cloud of abuse which was uncalled for and immature of me. :oops: 

With respect to "suck" vs "sucks", I am not sure... ;) 

You would say "your spelling sucks", or "your grammar sucks", but "your spelling and grammar both suck". Omitting the "both" doesn't change the meaning of the sentence - "your spelling and grammar suck".

Alternatively (using less emotive language), how about;

"mkaibear argues", "dlmc argues", "mkaibear and dlmac argue".

I think it's the singular. Do you disagree?
October 3, 2006 9:27:08 PM

Hey, uber, is it intentional that that post looks like the 8====D is going straight into your mouth? Maybe it's just my browser...
October 3, 2006 9:58:32 PM

>Having said that, your comments about what to do with his iPod were >not constructive. They were not helpful. They were not, for want of a >better word, nice. I personally believe that you owe redkangavoosa an >apology.

Fair enough, I do apologize redkangavoosa. It was not constructive, my opinions get the best of me sometimes.

>With respect to "suck" vs "sucks", I am not sure...

>You would say "your spelling sucks", or "your grammar sucks", >but "your spelling and grammar both suck". Omitting the "both" doesn't >change the meaning of the sentence - "your spelling and grammar >suck".

>Alternatively (using less emotive language), how about;

>"mkaibear argues", "dlmc argues", "mkaibear and dlmac argue".

>I think it's the singular. Do you disagree?

I do not disagree, not sure what heppened there.

Not trolling, just defensive. sorry.
October 3, 2006 10:07:41 PM

So we're all cool here? We all agree to disagree?
By the power vested in my, I delcare the case of Sucks v. Sucks over
October 3, 2006 10:28:44 PM

Yeah, we're cool.
October 3, 2006 10:41:31 PM

Good now lets all sing Kumbaya around a campfire.
Don't you just love the THF? Arguments in the morning get resolved by evening.
And on my part I also apologize for insulting you and using harsh language.
October 3, 2006 10:50:12 PM

LolI just posted this topic last night, and....

NONE OF YOU GUYS ARE F%$@ING HELPING EXCEPT FOR DASICKNINJA!!!!

Damn these forums make my life so much easier...

:evil: 
October 3, 2006 10:53:04 PM

>Good now lets all sing Kumbaya around a campfire.
>Don't you just love the THF? Arguments in the morning get resolved by >evening.
>And on my part I also apologize for insulting you and using harsh >language.

Thanks man. Dito. This place rocks!

Sorry, redkangavoosa, at least we're keeping it at the top.

Remember google is your friend. I am sure you've tried that already but just checking.
October 3, 2006 11:02:07 PM

Red,

The link provided for ipodlinux.org will probably be the most help...

The comments about the format and reload were fairly helpful as well (that is if you can see it).

I guess your biggest question is "did the flash fail at a point where it is NOT recoverable?" There are two possible flash points on a device like that 1) being the hardrive and the second being an eprom on board. If you flashed the eprom and failed in the middle you may indeed have a failed device that only Apple could recover.
October 3, 2006 11:05:30 PM

OK maybe this will help

My ipods final lines on the screen say

/hp/start: No such file
Command: podzilla
October 3, 2006 11:46:16 PM

That makes it sound as "not too bad".

Seems you would not be getting the lines of text and the file lookup in the first place if the Eprom flash failed in mid-flash.

I think you are going to be OK...

Podzilla is the UI or User INterface on the screen post boot. given that your pod is actually doing the search for /hp/start/podzilla but not finding it I would have to say you just need to complete/redo the install if able.

Here is a tutorial on what to do for similar issues:

http://ipodlinux.org/Allin1Fixes

And

HERE!!!

It seems that second one walks you through your issue... and helps you get BACK TO your orignal iPod load.
October 3, 2006 11:57:33 PM

Red,

Also, from here: http://timmy.r0x0rs.com/2005/installing-linux-on-your-ipod/[/quote]

Quote:
The first thing I did was download the Apple iPod Updater. This is the program that updates your iPod’s firmware, as well as restore your iPod to factory condition in case something happens to your iPod. The second thing I reccommend you to download is HP’s format utility, just in case you mess up during the installation.

Before I go on to the installation, it’s important that you know that if you get errors such as “podzilla cannot be found,” don’t worry, as this all is reversible, via the HP format tool that I linked to above.
October 4, 2006 12:02:01 AM

One last thing:

The advanced Boolean Search in Google is awesome:

search string +podzilla +ipod +no +such +command

Returns ONLY results that have all of the above words in the page.

This feature in conjunction with Google Groups (previously DejaNews) is probably the best trouble shooting tool you will find..

On your google page enter your seacrh criteria as above and then click on the word MORE at the top of the search box and hit groups..

In this case it does not return anything but, that is normally where I start..
!