nick111

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2006
I will be building a new machine but haven't decided yet on a motherboard. I hear that Asus is the best. It has to be reliable and have plenty of features. Aside from general computing tasks, I would like to be able to play simulator games and such. Not into heavy gaming. I will not be using raid. I'd like to have my 2 ide hard drives to work in there. I was thinking of the Asus P5B Deluxe Wi/Fi. I see WiFi in my future. Is this too much motherboard to have? I'd like it to be future proof as much as possible. Also very important is the power supply. Since I've lost my previous computer hardware to a bad Deer power supply. I don't want to see my new computer fried up by a power supply. What is recommended?

I've used antec, enermax, enlight, and sparkle (fortron). All worked fine. If you want to spend more, ocz and seasonic are two of the most expensive. I currently have a ttgi 450w with the cable select feature, and it's quiet. If you want to use sli, be sure your new ps supports it. Expect no more than 2-3 years of reliable service off your power supply and motherboard. Anything more is a bonus. You should also use a "canned air" product to clean the power supply and cpu heatsink fans at least once a year. Fry's sells them in a 3 pack for about $9.

TRENDING THREADS