Sign in with
Your question

What`s bottlenecking my pc ???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 3, 2006 10:13:57 AM

Hello,

I want to upgrade my pc, but I don`t really know what`s the bottleneck!
I use it for gaming...

My system:
ATI 1900Xt @ 1900 XTX
AMD Athlon 64 3500 S939 @ 2,66Ghz
2 GB DDR memory
MSI Nforce 4 motherboard
2 Samsung SP2504C HD`s in a RAID 0
Soundblaster XFi

Questions:
I think the worsest part is the cpu. Do you think it makes sense to get a Athlon 64 X2 4200 cpu? What about overclocking Toledos?

I also thought about buying a 2 more harddisks for RAID 10? Will that really improve speed?

Another option would be to buy a hardware raidcontroller with cpu and cache... Good idea?

Which option would be the best invest to improve performance?

Thanks a lot for your help !!!

More about : bottlenecking

October 3, 2006 11:12:59 AM

>CPU

Upgrading it will be a good idea. Don't bother upgrading to an A64, though, go for a C2D. If you can't afford it, buy a Raptor for your OS.

Don't bother buying 2 more hard drives for RAID 10. Don't bother buying a dedicated RAID card. Neither of those will give you any more speed improvement than the Raptor.
October 3, 2006 11:28:10 AM

Yeah man it's your cpu, go for dual core. Like he said go for C2D if you can afford it. If not the X2, Pentium D 800 or 900 series would be good deal as well.
Related resources
October 3, 2006 12:48:03 PM

Some people will tell you that anything other then a intel core2 is a waste of money. Always fanboys around :p 
That would however mean a new mb/cpu and ram.

If you just upgrade your cpu to an x2 that would be easier on your wallet.
Btw no OS reinstall required this way either.

And if you have money to spare after that then you could buy a real raid card. A real raid card will increase the performance of your system more then buying a raptor would.

However If you dont mind replacing the mb/cpu & ram and the reinstall of your os then yes buy the core 2 as it is definately much faster.

It all comes down to how much you want to spend.
October 3, 2006 12:53:58 PM

Won't need a new MB - Asrock 775VSTA!

Real RAID card will *not* increase the performance of his system more than buying a Raptor would. Real RAID card may increase the theoretical performance of his RAID array, but in real world terms the lower rotational latency of a 10k drive will result in a substantially faster computer.

Personal computer's drive access pattern is almost entirely non-sequential reads and writes.

10k drive is much better than 7.2k drive for non-sequential reads and writes.
October 3, 2006 2:03:47 PM

How much $ do you have to spend?
1) The whole series of Athlonx2's are cheaper than dirt now, so that'd be your cheapest upgrade

2) Then again, why spend money to go back in technology? You can get an E6300 for $187...Overclock it, and have it perform better than an AMD-FX 64 so...Why pay for worse technology? The only drawback is buying a new mobo...but like I said if you've got money then why not?

3) As far as Raptors go, I don't recommend you get one just for gaming. I don't find that my game load times are really much quicker...the only thing that IS a little quicker is maploads on BF2. Other than that, it doesn't help gaming hardly. It really shines on rendering tasks like encoding, a/v rendering and editing, disk defrags, etc. But it def. won't increase fps, and I don't think its worth the money for loading a game map a bit faster. If I hadn't gotten it for my bday, I def. wouldn't have spent my own cash on it.
October 3, 2006 3:40:31 PM

I'm sure there will be those who take issue with what I'm saying, but I disagree that a dual core CPU will fix the bottle neck. It's always important to look at what a person is using his computer for, and for gaming, dual core makes little difference as games are still single-threaded. In fact, a 4200 X2 running at stock 2.0 Ghz per core will run SLOWER in games than what he currently has since the game will only utilize 2.0 Ghz. That being said, if like me he likes to multi-task while gaming, then by all means get the dual core. For pure gaming performance, however, I recommend getting a raptor for your OS and game installations. I did, and I'm very happy with the boost it gave.
October 3, 2006 3:54:34 PM

get a AMD 4600 x2
October 3, 2006 4:19:49 PM

Quote:
Hello,

I want to upgrade my pc, but I don`t really know what`s the bottleneck!
I use it for gaming...

My system:
ATI 1900Xt @ 1900 XTX
AMD Athlon 64 3500 S939 @ 2,66Ghz
2 GB DDR memory
MSI Nforce 4 motherboard
2 Samsung SP2504C HD`s in a RAID 0
Soundblaster XFi

Questions:
I think the worsest part is the cpu. Do you think it makes sense to get a Athlon 64 X2 4200 cpu? What about overclocking Toledos?

I also thought about buying a 2 more harddisks for RAID 10? Will that really improve speed?

Another option would be to buy a hardware raidcontroller with cpu and cache... Good idea?

Which option would be the best invest to improve performance?

Thanks a lot for your help !!!

There is no bottleneck at all in that system! That CPU is a gaming monster, a dual core would bring no noticeable improvement in gaming performance so don't waste your cash.
October 3, 2006 5:48:14 PM

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ for $265 or buy a completely new computer (MB, Proc, memory and a raptor) for $1000. Hummmm tough choice.
!