Sign in with
Your question

P5B won't POST in new build. Please help!

Last response: in Motherboards
October 3, 2006 1:34:57 PM

Here's what I've put together:

E6400 Core 2 CPU
P5B Mobo
2x 1GB Corsair 800MHz (Twin2X, XMS2)
480W Tagan PSU
7900GTX Geforce
stock cooler

When pressing the power key the fans start rotating but that's it. Nothing more, no picture, no beep. I've tried de-connecting everything but the most necessary thing: no HDD, no DVD, nothing but the graphics card, no floppy, just one memory stick. Green LED is lit when PSU is switched on. The 4 pin power connecting on the mobo IS connected, so is the power connector on the graphics card.

This is one of the many systems I have built over the years, but I've run completely out of ideas with this one. Any help greatly appreciated!

PS: I've just learnt that there is a possibility that this kind of mobo still has an older BIOS that doesnt recognise the latest CPUs. Since I have no other CPU to put in I would be stuck, as I can't perform a BIOS update. Are my symptoms compatible with that kind of problem though? Does anyone have had this problem before?

More about : p5b post build

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2006 1:56:49 PM

Quote:
I've just learnt that there is a possibility that this kind of mobo still has an older BIOS that doesnt recognise the latest CPUs. Since I have no other CPU to put in I would be stuck, as I can't perform a BIOS update. Are my symptoms compatible with that kind of problem though? Does anyone have had this problem before?

This is apparently the case. In the past few days several people and now you have had the same problem. My P5B Deluxe booted right up with an E6600.
October 3, 2006 2:12:44 PM

I had a similar problem with my P5B Deluxe. It wouldn't boot and no beeps at all. After a couple hours and some help from here I was able to see the no beeps mean it couldn't detect the CPU....and so after reinstalling the CPU and HSF I was finally able to hear the beep and then it was solved.
I find it hard to believe that new P5Bs are still using the old BIOS. My P5B Deluxe came with a very up-to-date BIOS version.

If I were you, I would only connect CPU, HSF and PSU. Make sure you connect the 4/8 pin power connector near the CPU (otherwise it won't boot).
It should beep indicating you have no memory. If it doesn't, then it could be a problem that your CPU or HSF is not properly connected.
Look at the HSF pins on the bottom of the motherboard. If you don't see BLACK pins in between the transparent holders, then your HSF is not all the way in, and this could very well be the reason for not booting...or if it boot you will notice high temperatures.

Try that and post results.
Good luck!
Related resources
October 3, 2006 2:14:05 PM

I have a p5b deluxe and have had the same problem. I am not completely sure, but I think it is the ram. I think to POST you must have 1.8 voltage ram. I would try a crap 1.8 stick and use that to POST, then flash your bios to the newest one. If the new bioses dont work, then try the old ones. Believe me, my old p5b deluxe bioses always worked with 2.1 v ram, but the new ones dont. Maybe this is the case with your p5b.
October 3, 2006 2:18:46 PM

Ok so here we are: no memory installed and I finally hear something, beeps (long - short - short).

So it's the memory that doesn't work with this mobo, is it?
October 3, 2006 2:29:42 PM

Yep, looks like it.
If after you put memory and NO video card you don't hear any beeps, than I would say it is memory.

Also, try different slot combinations with your memory. I heard ppl saying their memory would only work on Channel B, others only on Channels A. So try all combinations you can to make sure.

Good luck!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2006 2:29:43 PM

Quote:
Ok so here we are: no memory installed and I finally hear something, beeps (long - short - short).

So it's the memory that doesn't work with this mobo, is it?

The beeps are signifying there is no memory. The board works, it recognizes no memory in the system. Try what the others have said.
October 3, 2006 2:38:28 PM

Hello. I'm using the same memory without issue. I'm using a P5B, vanilla. I had to, as the manual stated, manually change the speed to get ddr2-800 and bump up the voltage to 1.9 (assuming you will be able to get into the bios).

Good Luck,
Mike
October 3, 2006 2:41:38 PM

Starting the computer with NO memory and NO graphics cards gives the same error code as before: long - short - short.

Does that mean it recognises the CPU alright? Are we all agreed that the board is ok and that the memory is the bad guy (despite the same memory running alright with the other gentleman's PC?) Are we sure it's not the old BIOS problem?
October 3, 2006 2:48:09 PM

If you can, claim the MoBo is defective, and return it for a different mobo...

Buy a giga-byte.

If your dead set on this one, go through the checklist. Read the manual instillations on your VC and Memory and follow it word for word... this may seem really stupid, but it tends to put us in check with what to do, and can make sure all of our connectors and cards are installed right.

Dont install anything but the VC and Memory.

If you can, go into your parts bin and find a old PCI based video card, and try that...

If you want, take someone you know who has NO IDEA how computers work, and explain to them how the machine goes together... This allows you to make sure everything is happy! I do this when I program, and run into a problem and get stuck... I grab another programmer and explain to him what Im doing... doesnt take long and WHAM, I figure out the problem...

Its a common problem solving technique. When we explain things to other people we think of different things ourselves... Its also why thoose who answer allot of forum messages tend to know more about things then thoose who just sit their and read.
October 3, 2006 2:49:22 PM

I think the mobo is ok. It is beeping and indicating the right things.
I am not sure about the old BIOS thing, but I would assume that if it detected the CPU fine (i.e. beeps without memory means it already passed the CPU test) than the BIOS version is good.
Have you tried putting your memory on differentl slots? Also using only one stick at a time?
October 3, 2006 2:53:42 PM

Yes, I tried one stick only, and in a different slot. No joy.

Quote:
I think the mobo is ok. It is beeping and indicating the right things.
I am not sure about the old BIOS thing, but I would assume that if it detected the CPU fine (i.e. beeps without memory means it already passed the CPU test) than the BIOS version is good.
Have you tried putting your memory on differentl slots? Also using only one stick at a time?
October 3, 2006 2:55:19 PM

I followed (and read) the instructions very carefully. I considered Gigabyte, but read reports about just that: memory detection problems. Guess it's all the same really.

Quote:
If you can, claim the MoBo is defective, and return it for a different mobo...

Buy a giga-byte.

If your dead set on this one, go through the checklist. Read the manual instillations on your VC and Memory and follow it word for word... this may seem really stupid, but it tends to put us in check with what to do, and can make sure all of our connectors and cards are installed right.

Dont install anything but the VC and Memory.

If you can, go into your parts bin and find a old PCI based video card, and try that...

If you want, take someone you know who has NO IDEA how computers work, and explain to them how the machine goes together... This allows you to make sure everything is happy! I do this when I program, and run into a problem and get stuck... I grab another programmer and explain to him what Im doing... doesnt take long and WHAM, I figure out the problem...

Its a common problem solving technique. When we explain things to other people we think of different things ourselves... Its also why thoose who answer allot of forum messages tend to know more about things then thoose who just sit their and read.
October 3, 2006 2:56:45 PM

And what does it do when you put memory? No beeps at all?
October 3, 2006 2:58:31 PM

That's right, deadly silence, only broken by the spinning fans. The graphic card fan incidentally spinning at full blast, and not going to it's usual quiet self after second or two, like normal.

Quote:
And what does it do when you put memory? No beeps at all?
October 3, 2006 3:09:16 PM

So you have your video card in?
What about only memory and NO vide card? Any beeps?
October 3, 2006 3:14:33 PM

Curious. With memory but without video card there are no beeps. What does it all MEAN? :( 

Quote:
So you have your video card in?
What about only memory and NO vide card? Any beeps?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 3, 2006 3:22:18 PM

Quote:
Starting the computer with NO memory and NO graphics cards gives the same error code as before: long - short - short.

Does that mean it recognises the CPU alright? Are we all agreed that the board is ok and that the memory is the bad guy (despite the same memory running alright with the other gentleman's PC?) Are we sure it's not the old BIOS problem?

Try using one DIMM of RAM in slot one if you haven't already.
October 3, 2006 3:23:48 PM

It means it didn't pass the memory test for some reason.
When you boot your computer, it checks for CPU, memory and then Video Card.
If it beeps with only the CPU, it means it detected and passed the CPU test..and beeps because there is no memory.
If it beeps with CPU and memory, it means it passed CPU and mem tests...and beeps because there is no Video Card.
So if it is beeping with CPU, but not beeping with CPU + memory....it means it is not passing the mem tests...and is likely a problem with memory.
That doesn't mean memory is broken...but as mikewilson52 said above...you may have to use some cheap memory to go in your BIOS and adjust settings for the new memory (voltage).
That part I'm not totally sure, but it seems clear that the mobo is not working with this memory you have right now with current default settings.

Just though of another thing you could try....have you tried reseting your CMOS?
Look in the manual, it has instructions of how to clear your CMOS. If some settings are wrong in the BIOS, this would correct them. Definitely worth a shot!
October 3, 2006 3:24:06 PM

I already tried that. Nothing.

Quote:

Try using one DIMM of RAM in slot one if you haven't already.
October 3, 2006 3:30:12 PM

Just to get this straight, because your listing of events isn't entirely clear:

CPU only: long - short - short
CPU + mem: NO beeps
CPU + video: long - short - short
CPU + mem + video: NO beeps

I did clear the CMOS. To no avail.

Quote:
It means it didn't pass the memory test for some reason.
When you boot your computer, it checks for CPU, memory and then Video Card.
If it beeps with only the CPU, it means it detected and passed the CPU test..and beeps because there is no memory.
If it beeps with CPU and memory, it means it passed CPU and mem tests...and beeps because there is no Video Card.
So if it is beeping with CPU, but not beeping with CPU + memory....it means it is not passing the mem tests...and is likely a problem with memory.
That doesn't mean memory is broken...but as mikewilson52 said above...you may have to use some cheap memory to go in your BIOS and adjust settings for the new memory (voltage).
That part I'm not totally sure, but it seems clear that the mobo is not working with this memory you have right now with current default settings.

Just though of another thing you could try....have you tried reseting your CMOS?
Look in the manual, it has instructions of how to clear your CMOS. If some settings are wrong in the BIOS, this would correct them. Definitely worth a shot!
October 3, 2006 6:37:32 PM

So yeah, I think you will have to get another memory in there...at least to be able to boot and change settings to support the new memory. The settings you need are out of my knowledge, but accordin to mikewilson52, you need to change the voltage to 1.9.
Or maybe all you need is to update your BIOS...but you still need a memory that works to boot up and do the update.
October 3, 2006 7:29:27 PM

And so I went back to the shop, dropped the old Corsair RAM and walked home with OCZ. Despite the man telling me that this one would have even more issues. No matter. Put it in, and hey presto! It all works.

Thanks for all your help, guys!
October 3, 2006 7:31:14 PM

Good stuff.

Have fun!
October 4, 2006 6:41:01 PM

The board is bad send it back. I hada DFI board do the same thing to me. I tried everything known to do and it didnt work. Anotehr suggestion is try one stick of ram in slots 2 or 4 not 1 or 3. This helps on DFI boards in some cases. I would just be prepared to send it back. Even if you do get it working something is a miss and it might cause future headaches. If you read the manual and did what you are supposed to do and it deosnt work the first time its broken in some shape or fashion. RMA
October 4, 2006 8:07:30 PM

I run corsair 8500 c5... probably the most power hungry memory of Corsair's line, and it posts fine in resetted memory...

I hope you got your money back for the memory!

I havent heard many reports of any corsair failing in the p5b... though the basic version of the board has a maximum 2.1v on the manual setting. This is .1 volts lower then corsair says to set mine too... but my machine is stable...

Mike

Its about time someone starts to take responsibility for the memory failures on all of these boards...

Either the memory makers are not doing their job, or the motherboard makers are not.

Anyways; it is unacceptable for a Mobo/memory manufacturer to support only some of a set standard.
!