Just a quick question, for my information

amd_03

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I have a therrmaltake volcano 12 cpu cooler on my Athlon XP 3000+ and I got Artic Silver on a couple of the little rectangles around the main core. Now the system won't boot, and my LED indicator plugged in to the motherboard (an MSI K7KT4) has all red. Do I assume that the cpu is shorted and will not work again? If so I am going to buy a 3200+ to replace it. I am not liking the volcano 12 cooler, actually I do not like the retention system for any Socket A cooler. Does anyone know of a good cooler that is easy to install on a Socket A? And is my cpu really toast?

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Where the hell did you get the idea to put arctic on those little rectangles ?

:lol: Joking man...

Arctic silver aren't conductor on electricity but thermally conductive. So there's no chance that you shorted your CPU/those little rectangles because of Arctic Silver.

Check again how you mounted your CPU.
Hopely not happen to you that your processor core's break because of the heatsink pressure. It happened to me one time.

amd_03

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
This proc is my second Athlon XP. The first (a 2200+) stopped after installing this same heatsink on it. Same red LEDs, artic silver on the little rectangles, so I assumed it was shorted and bought this 3000+. Maybe I did break the core, but I thought that I read somewhere that artic silver was both heat and electrically conductive. The stupid socket A retention system is horible because the heatsink slides around so much when installing. I am pretty sure that the proc is in the right position. I will check that it is when I get home tonight. If it is not in the right position will that short it out?

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
This is what Arctic Silver website said :
Not Electrically Conductive:
Arctic Silver 5 was formulated to conduct heat, not electricity.
(While much safer than electrically conductive silver and copper greases, Arctic Silver 5 should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. While it is not electrically conductive, the compound is very slightly capacitive and could potentially cause problems if it bridges two close-proximity electrical paths.)

Well in fact it said "slightly capacitive", so clean up your little rectangles from arctic. Besides that those little rectangle aren't high enough to have a contact with heatsink.

But i'm sure it's not the source of the problem.

Maybe you can re-mount the CPU, check you CPU pins first. Check all connectors, do they connected to PSU ? PSU !!! have you check PSU ? does it give enough voltage or wattage to your CPU ?

amd_03

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
The PSU is a 500W and is still fairly new. The proc could be positioned wrong, but would that short it out? I put it back in with the little arrow pointing to the upper right, towards the base of the lever. Is that right?

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
If i remember well, yes it's right.

Wrong positioned proc would make short out, or could be make a fireworks inside your PC but it's rarely happened.

But it's better that you re-check everything before decide that your proc is dead. Read your mainboard manual.

Good Luck.

amd_03

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I did not put the AS on them, the paste was smudged around the bottom of the heatsink when trying to attach the retaining clip. The heatsink moves because the retention system on these Socket A's is horrible. You have to get the three holes in the reaining clip into the three tabs on the socket, then push the other side down with a long screwdriver to snap it in place. I only put a very fine film of the AS on the core itself, then apply the heatsink.

amd_03

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Proc is in correctly. As far as I can see there is only one way it can go in. I even took the thermal senser out from under it and set the fan to max all the time. Still won't boot.So therefore I have to assume it is dead. Either it was from the AS, or it was from too much pressure on the heatsink when installing. I am going to go and buy a XP 3200+ this time. The 3000+ I had OC'd to 2.3GHz (normal was 2.16). The 3200+ is clocked at 2.33GHz and I'm sure it will be able to go to 2.6GHz. Thanks for the help.

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
do you have another socket A mobo ? or maybe your friend has it ?

I still have a working socket A mobo. I wish i could help you to try your proc on my mobo, so you can be sure that the proc is dead not a faulty mobo.

amd_03

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
I don't have another motherboard. That would be an excellent idea, to save money. This mb is pretty old, and it is very used. A few months ago I actually took it out, took everything off of it including the proc, and blew it out with canned air. Maybe someday I will aquire another socket A mb and then I can test this processor, as well as my first one. I am going to save both.