Sign in with
Your question

P5W DH Deluxe BIOS v 1407

Last response: in Motherboards
October 3, 2006 3:44:40 PM

are you saying the 1407 is good or bad
October 3, 2006 8:21:29 PM

don't see those BIOS ANYWHERE on the ASUS website..... u sure they're out???
Related resources
October 4, 2006 2:01:54 AM

Quote:
don't see those BIOS ANYWHERE on the ASUS website..... u sure they're out???

follow the link he posted and select the p5w dh deluxe

click the plus on bios, and you'll find it
October 15, 2006 6:18:19 AM

Has anyone upgraded to this BIOS version yet?

Confirm:

Supports C2D multiplier changes?
Stable?

What is the range of multiplier adjustment? Can you change the multiplier above default? or only below?
October 15, 2006 6:21:25 AM

i'm using the 1407 running fine. i never really looked to see if i can change the multiplier.
October 15, 2006 6:23:30 AM

the only c2d that comes with the muliplier unlocked to go up is the e6800.
October 15, 2006 1:02:05 PM

i was told by many people that the 1407 BIOS, as well as the new P5B BIOS allow you the change the multipliers on ANY Core 2 Duo, are you saying that's not correct?

I know for a fact it can be done on the P5B, and i was told the same was true for 1407 on the P5W DH.
October 15, 2006 1:31:05 PM

I'm running the 1407 BIOS, on the first boot after the BIOS installation, the CPU multiplier was unlocked BOTH ways (from 6 to 20). On subsequent boots, however, it was only unlocked DOWN (6-9, I'm running an E6600).
Curious; at some point I'll flash once more and see if the situation can be replicated.
October 15, 2006 2:54:34 PM

Quote:
I'm running the 1407 BIOS, on the first boot after the BIOS installation, the CPU multiplier was unlocked BOTH ways (from 6 to 20). On subsequent boots, however, it was only unlocked DOWN (6-9, I'm running an E6600).
Curious; at some point I'll flash once more and see if the situation can be replicated.

anyone else experiencing this?
October 15, 2006 3:17:46 PM

I was noticing there were differnt bios upgrades for different OS (XP, 64 bit etc.) Why does it make a difference. Doesnt' the Bios only control the MB, Processor and Devices. The devices would need their own software drivers to be compatible with the OS. But I didn't expect the Bios to have to be compatible with the OS. Sorry if it seems stupid but I have never upgraded any BIOS othen then in my Ipaq and once a very long long time ago .... I think the original Star Wars was being released.
October 15, 2006 4:45:00 PM

from what i have read, only the e6800 is unlocked to go up or down.
October 15, 2006 4:57:47 PM

i'm using 1407 bios my multiplier only goes from 6-9. i was never able to go over 9.
October 16, 2006 11:56:20 AM

Nothing very fancy about the BIOS release. As someone had stated earlier, after you flash it and reboot, for some odd reason, the BIOS says you can move the multiplier up, but if you try, your computer will just reboot and set it to a different multiplier (at least it did on mine). One other thing is the onboard sound option. Don't quiet understand the whole Vista and non-Vista option about sound. Anyone else understand that about this BIOS release?
October 16, 2006 2:17:45 PM

whats microcodes for?
October 16, 2006 2:43:31 PM

when overclocking would it be better to have microcode disabled.
October 16, 2006 2:53:44 PM

Check wusy's signature. It should state it in the overclocking guide.

Anyone else have any motherboard issues? I hope they release a BIOS update that will fix the boot time for the BIOS itself! I've already tried disabling Q Fan and it doesn't help. Is it because I have 5 USB devices plugged in? I've noticed it slows down on boot when searching for USB devices...
October 16, 2006 3:03:03 PM

the best i have gotten out of mine is 367x9 w/1.4v. i could get it higher but its going to need more voltage. my temps run hot at any thing over 1.4v, but i just got a bigger radiator and waiting for the radbox, should be here today or tomorrow.
October 16, 2006 3:07:02 PM

For KOne only (sorry it's somewhat off topic people)

I got mine to 400 * 9, but I yet to figure out what voltage to use in order to maintain the overclock (I've gone to 1.52V and I'm too scared to go higher :oops:  ). I have a Thermaltake Silent Water for the CPU. As of now, with ambient room temperature at 24C, my CPU idles at 33C w/ Speedstep and C1E enabled 55C on full load. When overclocked to 333 * 9 w/ Speedstep and C1E enabled, CPU idle: 37C load: 57C.

My main problem with this ASUS P5W DH Deluxe mobo is cooling the motherboard. I have two 40 mm fans on the nb and sb and well as ASUS's fan that you clip on to the heatsink near the CPU. My case is an Antec P180B and I have 2 fans (1 exhaust to the back and 1 exhaust to the top) and the radiator/pump/fan is mounted to the front of the case. My ATI X1900XT has an Accelero X2 on it and I think this is where the motherboard is recieving the most heat.

Lastly, if you wish to talk more about overclocking, I suggest to create a new thread as to not anger other readers (one in particular, but will not mention who :twisted: )

Anyways... anyone else have an issue with the motherboard taking too long to boot into Windows?
October 16, 2006 3:11:58 PM

i got you.. on boot up my bios reads the two case usb's that i got hooked up and it goes by pretty quickly. its probably all those usb's u got hooked up.
October 16, 2006 3:24:17 PM

*sighs* Not my fault that webcams, printers, keyboards, mouses, and UPS decide to use USB! :( 

Then again, when I built my computer and was testing it, I didn't have any USB devices hooked up and it still took forever to load, regardless, it came with BIOS 1301 :?
October 16, 2006 4:25:02 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps I should go ahead and buy a cheap LGA 775 CPU just in case I should ever run into that problem, huh? I didn't realize BIOS updates could screw you over that bad!
October 16, 2006 6:16:43 PM

Quote:

Doesn't take 'experince'.
What KOne and GrimReaperGuy said, it's set by Intel. Nothing more to it nor can it be changed.
No myth, no nothing. The whitesheet is already there.

So you're completely denying the fact that it can be changed b/w 6-10 (e6700) with the 1407 BIOS and the new P5B BIOS?
October 17, 2006 4:58:13 PM

Quote:

Doesn't take 'experince'.
What KOne and GrimReaperGuy said, it's set by Intel. Nothing more to it nor can it be changed.
No myth, no nothing. The whitesheet is already there.

You are actually incorrect, and Anandtech has proven this. Some e6600 and e6700 are able to have the multiplier unlocked UP and down with the new Asus BIOS. Apparently ASUS found a way to circumvent Intel's multipier lock. They have no idea how to identify which CPUs are capable of unlocking up yet, but they got the one they had to do it.
October 17, 2006 5:13:47 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Perhaps I should go ahead and buy a cheap LGA 775 CPU just in case I should ever run into that problem, huh? I didn't realize BIOS updates could screw you over that bad!

Don't waste your money. It's not your problem, it's Asus'. If the BIOS of the P5W you buy is too old to support Core 2 Duo, then you may return the MB to your retailer for a replacement. If they won't take it back (which they should) then you can contact Asus directly and they may ship you a new BIOS chip with an updated BIOS on it.
October 17, 2006 5:39:29 PM

With a phone call to Asus, they WILL ship you a new BIOS chip. They did this for many hundreds (if not thousands) of folks, including me, who ordered their stuff right at the C2D launch.
October 17, 2006 6:26:24 PM

I'm not at my PC now, but if you guys can post screenshots of the new BIOS, and what settings to change for OPTIMAL OC'ing, that would be great.

I updated to this version last night. Appears to be working fine. No difference to me.

There are some new fields that are not covered in Wusy's guide. It would be great to have a OC'ing guide, WITH SCREENSHOTS, dedicated to the P5W DH mobo. It's so popular - many people will use it!

Just some thoughts .........
October 18, 2006 2:31:10 PM

Quote:
anyone else have an issue with the motherboard taking too long to boot into Windows?

my bios was booting pretty quickly a couple of days ago. now all of a sudden its taking forever and having the same problem when i'm in the bios and try to go into the hardware monitor it just freezes. i tried reflashing the bios and after reboot i got a screen that said cmos bad, is anyone else experiencing these problems, and does anyone know what it mean by cmos bad.
October 18, 2006 2:33:06 PM

Anyone know what BIOS to use to load Vista up? XP is pissing me off! So, I'm going to try Vista for a while! The ICH7 drivers are my main issue. Is there a setting in the BIOS to help resolve this?
October 18, 2006 2:36:30 PM

do you think its xp. my bios bootup was woking fine up until yesterday. now all of a sudden i can't go into hardware monitor unless in default in bios default settings.
October 18, 2006 2:43:16 PM

Quote:
With a phone call to Asus, they WILL ship you a new BIOS chip. They did this for many hundreds (if not thousands) of folks, including me, who ordered their stuff right at the C2D launch.

after flasing my bios on reboot i got a screen that said cmos bad, is that the bios gone gone bad.
October 18, 2006 2:47:44 PM

Be patient with the hardware monitor in the BIOS. Normally takes around a minute or less to load up. If it's not working, then I have no idea. Other than that, Windows has been giving me some real problems with this setup, specifically Nero and the ASUS programs (ASUS Wi-Fi, ASUS Probe II, ASUS Remote, Realtek HD Audio). These are slowing the windows load up. Could be due to BIOS. Not sure, I'm just going to disconnect the Wi-Fi and the ASUS remote, since it's not very handy. Is there a setting in the BIOS to disable the Wi-Fi? Other than clicking on that "Arrow" icon in the taskbar that allows you to "remove" when the stupid thing is soldered to the board! My opinion: Wi-Fi soldered was stupid! Should have just made it a plug in like ABIT has done with their Fatality sound boards.

Side note: Might be going back to 1301 BIOS. Like the saying goes, "If it works, why try and fix it?"
October 18, 2006 2:48:33 PM

Er, not sure. Go ahead and call ASUS and see if they can send you a new BIOS chip.
October 18, 2006 2:56:21 PM

just 2 day ago everthing was working fine pc probe loaded quickly and now it takes about 2 minutes. nero also didn't want to work but i reinstalled it now its working, my aibooster is also reading everthing wrong. i'm on a emotional rollercoaster right now :D  :(  :?: :?:
October 18, 2006 2:59:23 PM

With ASUS Probe II, I noticed that if you changed the update value to anything less than 3 seconds, ASUS Probe LAGS! Secondly, I uninstalled Nero 7 and installed Nero 6. NADA! Still doesn't work. I hate to say this, but I'm honestly starting to regret going with this setup. Perhaps, I should have either: waited for Quad Core or gone with an AMD setup, or remain using my old Athlon 64 3200. It never gave me a problem like this new setup! :( 

Anyone find any new BIOS?
October 18, 2006 3:00:32 PM

Oh yea, AI BOOSTER IS CRAP! Try unistalling that and see if things load up faster :wink:
October 18, 2006 3:07:17 PM

i was having problems before aibooster.

Quote:
my old Athlon 64 3200. It never gave me a problem like this new setup!

i ditched my x2 and dfi setup for this one. i'm going to try the old bios and see what happens hopefully that will fix it.
October 19, 2006 1:43:32 PM

i disconnected my case fans from the motherboard and boot time is back to normal. i noticed my boot time slowed down when i installed the new fans. also no more waiting to get into the hardware monitor in the bios, seem the bios is really slow when it has to read so many components.

The sky isn't falling after all! :D 
October 19, 2006 2:24:59 PM

Well, that's kind of messed up! :( 
October 19, 2006 2:31:09 PM

telling me... the board cost an arm and a leg and its barely handling a few case fans.
October 19, 2006 2:33:43 PM

if you have fans powered by the board try disconnecting them and power them with the psu, it should speed up your bootup. it worked for me
!