Switching computers

I have XP on old computer, want XP on new, how can I do this?
3 answers Last reply
More about switching computers

    If the version on the old box is an OEM version then you can't legally
    transfer it to another system. If it is a retail version then you have
    several options. One is to simply delete it off the old computer and install
    it on the new system. Another is to use a drive copy program to copy the old
    drive to the new drive on the new computer and then run a Repair Install to
    fix the HAL so it will run correctly on the new system. Another option is to
    remove the drive from the old computer and connect it as the master to the
    new system then run a Repair Install to rebuild the HAL.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Carol Evans" <vze1mp9d@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >I have XP on old computer, want XP on new, how can I do this?

    What is HAL?

    Thanks.
    JerryR

    > If the version on the old box is an OEM version then you can't legally
    > transfer it to another system. If it is a retail version then you have
    > several options. One is to simply delete it off the old computer and
    install
    > it on the new system. Another is to use a drive copy program to copy the
    old
    > drive to the new drive on the new computer and then run a Repair Install
    > fix the HAL so it will run correctly on the new system. Another option is
    > remove the drive from the old computer and connect it as the master to the
    > new system then run a Repair Install to rebuild the HAL.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "Carol Evans" <vze1mp9d@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > >I have XP on old computer, want XP on new, how can I do this?

    Don't worry it is not referring to the computer in the movie 2001

    Check here http://www.buildorbuy.org/hal.html

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "JerryR" <yjrybanospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What is HAL?
    >
    > Thanks.
    > JerryR
    >
    > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    >> If the version on the old box is an OEM version then you can't legally
    >> transfer it to another system. If it is a retail version then you have
    >> several options. One is to simply delete it off the old computer and
    > install
    >> it on the new system. Another is to use a drive copy program to copy the
    > old
    >> drive to the new drive on the new computer and then run a Repair Install
    >> fix the HAL so it will run correctly on the new system. Another option is
    >> remove the drive from the old computer and connect it as the master to
    >> the
    >> new system then run a Repair Install to rebuild the HAL.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    >> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >>

    >> "Carol Evans" <vze1mp9d@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> >I have XP on old computer, want XP on new, how can I do this?

Microsoft Computers Windows XP