Switching computers

I have XP on old computer, want XP on new, how can I do this?

If the version on the old box is an OEM version then you can't legally
transfer it to another system. If it is a retail version then you have
several options. One is to simply delete it off the old computer and install
it on the new system. Another is to use a drive copy program to copy the old
drive to the new drive on the new computer and then run a Repair Install to
fix the HAL so it will run correctly on the new system. Another option is to
remove the drive from the old computer and connect it as the master to the
new system then run a Repair Install to rebuild the HAL.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Carol Evans" <vze1mp9d@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I have XP on old computer, want XP on new, how can I do this?

What is HAL?

Thanks.
JerryR

> If the version on the old box is an OEM version then you can't legally
> transfer it to another system. If it is a retail version then you have
> several options. One is to simply delete it off the old computer and
install
> it on the new system. Another is to use a drive copy program to copy the
old
> drive to the new drive on the new computer and then run a Repair Install
> fix the HAL so it will run correctly on the new system. Another option is
> remove the drive from the old computer and connect it as the master to the
> new system then run a Repair Install to rebuild the HAL.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>

> "Carol Evans" <vze1mp9d@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >I have XP on old computer, want XP on new, how can I do this?

Don't worry it is not referring to the computer in the movie 2001

Check here http://www.buildorbuy.org/hal.html

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp