ATI Fire GL x1 vS Gforce FX 5600 (World Of Warcraft related)

mined

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hi

I have these 2 cards to chose between.
ATI Fire GL x1 or Gforce FX 5600
Both comes with 256 DDR memory. Uncertain of how fast ddr is on each though.
Both cards run on AGPx8.
I even got AGP pro port which i read that ATI card require.

Which one should i choose to play WoW with???

I never really managed to follow technology development of these cards as they come
out with new models each week. Im asking all u competent people for advice on which
card should suit for better playing. (Less laggy). Is there even any noticable difference in FPS
between those cards.

And yes i know that there is PCI express cards today. And yes I know that those are the cards
better than AGP. But let just try to concentrate on these 2.
AND to try both my self i need to get digital converter for ATI card though it doesnt have regular VGA output. Maybe i dont have to :)

Thanks in advance!

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi

I have these 2 cards to chose between.
ATI Fire GL x1 or Gforce FX 5600
Both comes with 256 DDR memory. Uncertain of how fast ddr is on each though.
Both cards run on AGPx8.
I even got AGP pro port which i read that ATI card require.

Which one should i choose to play WoW with???

I never really managed to follow technology development of these cards as they come
out with new models each week. Im asking all u competent people for advice on which
card should suit for better playing. (Less laggy). Is there even any noticable difference in FPS
between those cards.

And yes i know that there is PCI express cards today. And yes I know that those are the cards
better than AGP. But let just try to concentrate on these 2.
AND to try both my self i need to get digital converter for ATI card though it doesnt have regular VGA output. Maybe i dont have to :)

Thanks in advance!

Just try both cards and do some benchmarks (3dmark03 is good for the fx series, any higher and it just doesnt want to run).

Or you could do the better thing and not play WoW.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
The Fire GL card (and drivers) are optimized for CAD operations (and the like) it may underperform in gaming as many of the other cards do (FireGL and Quadro series). I would suggest the 5600 as the drivers are optimized for gaming.

cleeve

Illustrious

Eh?

The X1 is based on the 8-poipeline 9700 PRO, which is - hardware wise at least - heads and tails above the 4-pipe 5600, which can be a real dog...

I'd try the X1, actually. The amount of memory isn't all that significant, compared to the architecture... even with the FireGL drivers I bet the X1 will be better.

cleeve

Illustrious
me = tired at the time :(

heheh, no worries.

Just remember, if you're comparing the cards on a busy server - you're testing the server lag, and not the cards.

You want to compare them on a dead server with high resolution and the details maxed out, so the cards are the bottleneck, not your internet pipe...

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

heheh, no worries.

Just remember, if you're comparing the cards on a busy server - you're testing the server lag, and not the cards.

You want to compare them on a dead server with high resolution and the details maxed out, so the cards are the bottleneck, not your internet pipe...

What he said.

heheh, no worries.

yep your right. I just use that situation to verify the system, but your right that you should just do it offline:)