Sign in with
Your question

Trouble Shooting

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2006 5:45:36 PM

I built this system in January and I have some nagging issues that won't go away. I can run for a day or weeks before seeing the following.

IEXPLORE.EXE - Application Error
The instructions at 0x1001cbf1 referenced memory at "0x1001cbf1". The memory could not be "read"

or

msimn.exe - Application Error
The instructions at 0x65253448 referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read"

The memory addresses usually change. I've swapped the memory out so that's not the issue.

Also the system has rebooted a couple of times (maybe 4 times since January) that can't be explained by power outages. I have had 2 different UPS units on it and nothing else in the room went out.

I started with only 4 of the HDs mentioned below and added the other 4 recently. That didn't seem to change a thing.

I've checked to ensure that the mobo isn't in SLI mode.

Any ideas, I'm lost? Thanks for your time. :D 

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Asus A8N-SLI Premium nForce4 SLI
OCZ 2GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 OCZ4002048ELDCTE-K
Sapphire Radeon X550 PCI Express
Antec NeoHE 550W Power Supply
Plextor PX-716A Dual Layer
Antec P180
2 x Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB Serial ATA
2 x Seagate ST3500641AS 500GB Serial ATA
2 x Seagate ST3400832AS 400GB Serial ATA
2 x Seagate ST380011A 80GB Ultra ATA/100
2 x Thermaltake A2321 Hardcano 14

More about : trouble shooting

October 3, 2006 9:35:49 PM

Moby ,,Check your memory settings,start with default and go from there,sometimes the voltage is either too low or too high ,and it is not the same with all mobo's...
I 'ave been 'aving the same symptoms here,and I KNOW it's not the OCZ 3500,so I reset the ram timings,problem gone...
Hope this 'elps,,,,,,,,,,,G'Luck..
October 3, 2006 9:55:16 PM

What brand of memory did you use to test? I've heard Asus motherboards are very picky about OCZ RAM. So yeah, tweaking your settings could help. It really sounds like a RAM problem to me. You might try memtest to make absolutely sure the RAM isn't the problem.

However, if you havn't reinstalled your OS, you shouldn't even be looking at hardware problems.

The PSU is possible, but not likely with the problems you listed unless the trouble occurs only when your computer is under heavy load.
Related resources
October 4, 2006 12:35:40 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback :D 

The first set of memory I had was Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPT. I ran memtest on it over night as well as the new batch and no issues. I'm not over clocking in way.

The on the odd occasion when the system reboots it's usually when I'm away and the computer is sitting pretty idol.
October 6, 2006 7:01:02 PM

I guess it's a good thing that I adjusted the timing manually. I played around with the settings a lot with the previous RAM but just set it to auto when I installed this new batch. I actually had the settings a little conservatively so I corrected them and we'll see how it goes.

This type of issue is always so frustrating because it's make a change and maybe wait a few weeks.
!