Sign in with
Your question

Im new...Help me overclock my pentium D!

Last response: in Overclocking
October 3, 2006 6:43:41 PM

Hey guys im a new kid on the block

ive been having trouble getting my pentium d 805 over 3.6 ghz. itll boot into widows at 3.8 but as soon as the cpu does any work the computer resets.

im using:
400w antec smartpower
Asus P5ND2-SLI mobo
1gb Pqi turbo ddr 667
artic cooling freezer7 pro

right now the core voltage is set to 1.45v
fsb is around 178 t
the ram is at 667 with 4-4-4-12-4 timings..was working at 4-4-4-8 for a while

here are my cpu-z

you guys think i may just need a better psu? any thoughts?

Thanks

Nic

More about : overclock pentium

October 3, 2006 6:57:30 PM

A 1Gghz OC sounds pretty good to me for a pre-Conroe cpu...but what do I know? Not much about the Pentium D's I can assure you.
Temps are very, very, very important to know. please post them
October 3, 2006 7:00:16 PM

Quote:
A 1Gghz OC sounds pretty good to me for a pre-Conroe cpu...but what do I know? Not much about the Pentium D's I can assure you.

as for temps...mobo idles at 30c and the cpu idles around 33c...not sure under load
Related resources
October 3, 2006 7:03:15 PM

ive only bothered to raise mine to 3.6 GHZ on a 580 Watt PSU. I have stock cooler so im not gonna try to go higher.
October 3, 2006 7:05:04 PM

well since i have the artic cooling i figure it can go to at least 3.8 safely
October 3, 2006 7:05:46 PM

Lol load is the one that matters. I dunno how new you are, but if ya don't know the basic OC tools in the arsenl are:
1) Memtest86+
2) Prime 95 (and make it so you can run dual instances)
3) CoreTemp or Everest (they measure the temp ON the core and not just around the socket like Asus Probe does)

Well actually I could go on and on and re-write the OCing Guide that someone else has already written. So i'm not gonna do that. Do a search in the forumz for OC guide and I believe you'll find one for your processor.
October 3, 2006 7:11:16 PM

Toms hardware posted about this you can overclock to 3.2 on stock for some reason i can go higher and overclock to 3.8 on a better cooler and higher than that requires water cooling.
October 3, 2006 7:12:04 PM

Quote:
Lol load is the one that matters. I dunno how new you are, but if ya don't know the basic OC tools in the arsenl are:
1) Memtest86+
2) Prime 95 (and make it so you can run dual instances)
3) CoreTemp or Everest (they measure the temp ON the core and not just around the socket like Asus Probe does)

Well actually I could go on and on and re-write the OCing Guide that someone else has already written. So i'm not gonna do that. Do a search in the forumz for OC guide and I believe you'll find one for your processor.

k ill check the load temp as see what i get
October 3, 2006 7:15:03 PM

Quote:
Toms hardware posted about this you can overclock to 3.2 on stock for some reason i can go higher and overclock to 3.8 on a better cooler and higher than that requires water cooling.

im surprised you can get higher than 3.3 on that ecs since they lock down the pci to the fsb...i couldnt get over 150fsb with that board. stupid frys combo...
October 3, 2006 7:17:56 PM

Quote:

im surprised you can get higher than 3.3 on that ecs since they lock down the pci to the fsb...i couldnt get over 150fsb with that board. stupid frys combo...

lol you got the combo to spent $180 for it. idk maybe its just your board i have same ram and everything you have and i can get to 3.6 but like i said i need better cooling to reach my max overclock.
October 3, 2006 7:19:35 PM

yeah i got the deal for 118 but i ditched teh ecs board right away...and its a fact that the v1.1 of that board cant get over 150 fsb...confirmed by ecs..but thats only if you are using sata which i am...im assuming you are using an ata drive then.
October 3, 2006 7:24:07 PM

idk what version i have or the fsb reached all i know is cpu-Z said i was running at 3.6 GHZ and thats all that matters
October 3, 2006 7:31:17 PM

I have the same CPU, RAM, and cooler as you. Try relaxing the timings on the RAM to 5-5-5-15 to see if it is the RAM holding you back or increasing the voltage to 2.2 or so. I am using an ABIT NI8 Sli and have NO problem hitting 3.8. Even upping the voltage on the CPU has been proven to be ok. Just make sure you check your load temps, but mine loads at about 46C last I checked after probably 3 hours running an instance of Prime95 on both cores.
October 3, 2006 8:13:45 PM

Quote:
I have the same CPU, RAM, and cooler as you. Try relaxing the timings on the RAM to 5-5-5-15 to see if it is the RAM holding you back or increasing the voltage to 2.2 or so. I am using an ABIT NI8 Sli and have NO problem hitting 3.8. Even upping the voltage on the CPU has been proven to be ok. Just make sure you check your load temps, but mine loads at about 46C last I checked after probably 3 hours running an instance of Prime95 on both cores.

so youve found the ram can handle 2.2v? ill try to change the ram clock to what you specified...what cpu voltage are you running?

thanks to everyone who has help so far
October 3, 2006 8:33:44 PM

Your cooler will be the downside if you want to achieve 4Ghz. Anyways, downclock your ram to 400 at 1.9v and don't change the timings. It should provide more stability for the cpu at 3.6Ghz.
October 3, 2006 8:36:55 PM

Quote:
Your cooler will be the downside if you want to achieve 4Ghz. Anyways, downclock your ram to 400 at 1.9v and don't change the timings. It should provide more stability for the cpu at 3.6Ghz.

you misunderstood. i am running fine at 3.6 with 667 ram at stock timings.
October 3, 2006 8:49:51 PM

Quote:

Downclocking the RAM and trying to get to 3.8 would be another way to try. I did both to achieve my overclock but after some benches found my RAM at 712mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 2.2v was 100% stable. I played around with the timings and clock a lot, I recommend you do the same.

Chuck may have misread what you wrote, but his advice is always good. Give the downclocking a shot and post back, we can work from there.
October 3, 2006 8:54:03 PM

Then downclock it to 400 to achieve your 4Ghz, watch the temps closely.
October 3, 2006 9:24:05 PM

Quote:

as for temps...mobo idles at 30c and the cpu idles around 33c...not sure under load

what are you using to check temps? that seems low for 1.45volts with that cooler you should be able to get around 4ghz depends how hot you want to run it. How are you setting the ram speed in the bios?

Quote:

Well the 945p-a can get to 3.99 ghz before isssues start popping up like sata disapears
the 410l is not a bad board either with the updated bios if you did the volt mod and turned off auto pic/dimm clk detect
October 3, 2006 9:33:51 PM

I had the same motherboard a while back. It would go to 4.0GHz with a D805. I actually had 2 of these and achieved the same result on both.

I think your PSU is your problem as the D805 wants more power. From my reading and use, you will be needing a 500watt true power PSU to go higher.

I would be trying to go back to 533FSB for your ram on though timing as well, just until you get it stable at 3.8GHz.

The only other advice I would give at this point is go slow and don't change lots of settings at once.
October 3, 2006 11:45:48 PM

Quote:
I had the same motherboard a while back. It would go to 4.0GHz with a D805. I actually had 2 of these and achieved the same result on both.

I think your PSU is your problem as the D805 wants more power. From my reading and use, you will be needing a 500watt true power PSU to go higher.

I would be trying to go back to 533FSB for your ram on though timing as well, just until you get it stable at 3.8GHz.

The only other advice I would give at this point is go slow and don't change lots of settings at once.

im thinking that the power supply is the case.

i tried running 5-5-5-15 and i could increase the fsb to 733 which was 3.67 ghz...but while running 3dmark06 it froze in the cpu test. i also tried 750, but i would get an error prompting me to go back into settings because the settings werent safe (dont remember the actual wording sorry)

i am changing the ram via the jumperless in the bios. Do you think i should try leaving the timings to auto and just using the jumperless to run the memory at 667? or vise versa?

i was using the asus ai booster to read my temps...bios temp readings give me the same thing...i cant figure out how to get temp readings in prime 95 so if someone can tell me how to do that ill test it under full load.
October 3, 2006 11:51:47 PM

I've got a quick fix:

Open your case. Can you see the processor? Great. Remove it, throw it away. Buy a C2D. Plug it in. Reboot. Overclock if you must, but whether you do or not, your computer will run faster with far less drama.
October 3, 2006 11:54:01 PM

Quote:
I've got a quick fix:

Open your case. Can you see the processor? Great. Remove it, throw it away. Buy a C2D. Plug it in. Reboot. Overclock if you must, but whether you do or not, your computer will run faster with far less drama.

cant im a poor college kid lol
October 4, 2006 12:10:32 AM

If I were you, I would leave it at 3.6GHz. It will only cost you about 100 point in the tests and will run a little cooler. It is really not worth spending any additional money on.

One other thing to check is the PCI setting. I found that I had better results setting it to 100 and not overclocking it at all.
October 4, 2006 12:12:22 AM

Quote:
If I were you, I would leave it at 3.6GHz. It will only cost you about 100 point in the tests and will run a little cooler. It is really not worth spending any additional money on.

One other thing to check is the PCI setting. I found that I had better results setting it to 100 and not overclocking it at all.

yeah pci is still set at 100

im just bored and wanted to see if i could get it any higher
October 4, 2006 12:24:06 AM

Also keep in mind that you are already at a 1ghz overclock. :)  very good. You could very well be as high as your mobo will let you go.
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2006 12:50:01 AM

Did you buy the 805 based on the overclocking article? You would have gotten an easier overclock and better overall performance from the 920.
October 4, 2006 12:50:54 AM

Quote:
Did you buy the 805 based on the overclocking article? You would have gotten an easier overclock and better overall performance from the 920.

no i bought it cuz it was 85 bucks
October 4, 2006 2:08:27 AM

Quote:

no i bought it cuz it was 85 bucks

Same reason i did. :D 
October 4, 2006 2:44:38 AM

Thank you for quickly debunking another pointless "The D805 sucks, should have gotten something else" posts.
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2006 4:13:37 AM

debunking? You know how many guys I've seen spend money on a big air cooler, only to find it's not enough, then go out seeking a $200 water cooler, just because they thought they would get 4GHz from an 805?

And the 920 was what, $100 more expensive? And it would hit 4GHz on the stock air cooler, or do it more silently with a $40 air cooler? What's the better deal for getting to 4GHz.

Debunk nothing, I only tell the truth. I've dealt with dozens of repeated scenarios where guys bought the 805 based on the idea of getting to 4GHz, thinking they'd SAVE money. If anything, I've debunked that myth.
October 4, 2006 4:37:58 AM

Quote:

And the 920 was what, $100 more expensive? And it would hit 4GHz on the stock air cooler

Debunk nothing, I only tell the truth.

Show me a link or a screenie of someone getting a 920 to 4Ghz with stock cooler. I'm sorry about the "debunk" post, I came off more rough than I intended. I just am as sick of seeing the rant threads as anyone else on the forums. (I realize the irony :wink: )

You and I know very well that the D805 is put on a pedastal and given a crown in the THG article. I had mine before that and had mine overclocked happily before that also.

No, you don't need $200 bucks to get 4.0, no there is no real reason to strive for 4.0 if a $30 air cooler will "only" get you 3.8 :p  It is those people's personal decisions to spend the $170ish+ to squeeze that extra frame or shave off those extra 3 seconds of SuperPi.

Sorry again to sound crass, I apologize and didn't mean to start anything! (which I am sadly continuing, hopefully ending also)
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2006 5:08:34 AM

Nah, I just talked to a couple 920 owners, 4GHz, very hot using the stock cooler, but without stability problems. Both of them upgraded to larger coolers out of desire rather than necessity.
October 4, 2006 5:11:21 AM

I can believe it would be uncomfortably hot. I don't see anyone with stock cooling playing BF2 and encoding DVD's all day at 4ghz.
October 4, 2006 5:22:51 AM

Just for the sake of argument
I can personally attest to the fact that the D920 will Oc over 4 GHz on air very easily and never break 65C dual prime
I chose to water cool because I clock higher and protect my investment.
a b K Overclocking
October 4, 2006 5:23:24 AM

Some people seem to think that 65-70C is fine!
October 4, 2006 4:12:00 PM

I didn't doubt the CPU would go 4Ghz on air, it was the stock air that made me question. Also, right now the 915 is the best choice, but telling someone who owns an 805 that they should have gotten a 915 is like telling someone who bought a 6600GT when it came out to buy a 7900GTO because it is better.

Yes, now it IS better, but at the time? No, the D805 was the OCing king of the hill when I bought it.
October 4, 2006 4:32:28 PM

remember when this thread was about overclocking my 805?

i remember it like it was yesterday...talking pictures were the new thing and that Henry Ford was driving around his horseless carriage swooning all the women-folk

lolz
October 4, 2006 5:38:03 PM

Quote:
remember when this thread was about overclocking my 805?

i remember it like it was yesterday...talking pictures were the new thing and that Henry Ford was driving around his horseless carriage swooning all the women-folk

lolz

Have you managed to get a higher clock speed yet!?

I'm running almost same system as you, i am currently running 3.7GHz stable... am just about to go for 3.8GHz!!
October 4, 2006 6:12:08 PM

Hehe, I remember when we talked about that.

I was simply waiting for you to ask another question or come back with an update...
Let it fly now! You have my attention and I will do whatever I can to help.
October 4, 2006 6:16:53 PM

Quote:

I was simply waiting for you to ask another question or come back with an update...

Help me get mine to 4.0GHz !?

I'm at 3.8GHz 1.53v at moment, just about to run some tests and see how stable it is! Had to up the PCI bus to 110 to make it load windows without restarting though!
October 4, 2006 7:12:02 PM

Quote:

Help me get mine to 4.0GHz !?

I'm at 3.8GHz 1.53v at moment, just about to run some tests and see how stable it is! Had to up the PCI bus to 110 to make it load windows without restarting though!

no im still at 733 fsb because of the error i get when i push it further...translates into 3.67

is raising the pci a good idea?
October 4, 2006 7:26:12 PM

Yeah rasing the PCIE Bus is fine, although i had a boot error when i tried to go past 120MHz!

I tried 3.8GHz, started to play Battlefield 2 and it crashed about 5 mins through playing and restarted itself!
October 6, 2006 6:54:11 PM

Tried so so many different ways, but i really can't get past 3.7GHz :( 

I just really hope it is my memory that is restricting me from going any higher, i would love to reach 4.0GHz!
Well i guess i will never know until i have saved enough money to buy some new memory and try overclocking to 4G with a 1:1 bus ratio!
!