How to Overclock DdR2

OEM-NIB-OBO

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Im making a new system comprised of the following components
EVGA 7600gt
AMD 3800+ AM2
DFI INFINITY ULTRA M2 MOTHERBOARD

I WANT to overclock my proc to at least 2.6 Ghz but I have no idea which DDR2 ram module i'm supposed to buy for the best overclock. The motherboard has a stated memory standard of DDR-800. And I'm guessing that means that it can handle up to 400mhz / fsb?
So if I buy DDR-800 memory for my setup will I easily be able to get to 2.6ghz, or even 2.8ghz, with my memory not causing a problem?

Or will I not even have to overclock my memory at all because all I'll need for the proc is 12xmultiplier X 227mhz fsb = 2.7ghz, so then the DDR2-800 will be twice faster than what it needs to be.

Im just real confused about how to overclcok with DDR2......DDR was easy but this one I just dont know.. . .. . . .. . . . . thanks

Mondoman

Splendid
No difference than OCing DDR, except DDR2 default voltage is 1.8V and the DDR2 memory market is not mature, so there is a big range of module quality out there.

OEM-NIB-OBO

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
So if my FSB isnt going to go over 250mhz then theres no benefit for me buying a DDR2-800 module versus buying a DDR2-667 for my overclocking needs. Right?

Mondoman

Splendid
It depends on a lot of factors, including your CPU version and socket, your MB, whether you are running in dual channel mode, your memory latency timings, etc. I'm not an AMD expert, so I'll just suggest that you refer to an AMD socket AM2 overclocking guide.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Any DDR2 800 with 4-4-4-12 timings will do. Theyre all using the same chips so theyll overclock to ~500Mhz CL5. The OCZ Platinum Rev.2 has been proven to OC to 510Mhz CL5 and its the cheapest of this class, but im not sure if its compatible with your mobo. Contact manufacturers.

That DFI board is really good for overclocking on a budget but if you want something from the new generation of Nvidia chipsets get the Epox EP-MF570SLI, its the best $/Mhz out there.