Aug 20, 2006
Built a new computer over the summer.

Asus Micro atx motherboard s939
amd 3700+
1 gig ddr 2700
dvd-rw
seagate 120gb
ultra 400watt psu

ive connected everything. and the thing will not turn up, not even to bios.
the hd is used, but it is recognized and works on my normal computer.

i hook everything in, and i can start the motherboard(the cpu fan turns on, and the light on the mobo goes on). but there to my knowledge is no power in the rest of the computer. the hdd and the dvd rw have no power what so ever.

i made a topic a month or so ago, and they told me to replace psu. so i did, still problem remains.

i really have no idea what to do. they said it could be IDE mess up, i dont know enough to fix it.

someone please help me, im getting desperate.

another option is maybe the cpu,motherboard is fried, idk how that would happen, got them both in august.

mphelps

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
As I'm sure you have realized, they shouldn't have told you it's the PSU without testing the PSU. Does the led on your mobo come on? I'm guessing it does? In my experience, this is the most difficult problem to diagnose. Since it's not your PSU, it could be:

1)mobo

2)Graphics Card

3)CPU

4)RAM - this is not likely

First, unplug everything but these, and use only 1 stick of RAM in slot 1. Try it with each stick if it doesn't work (of course this assumes you have 2x512). Second, if you have any of these parts spare, swap them out. If it still doesn't work, you can eliminate that part from the list. If it does work, you know what's wrong. You could also try swapping your parts into someone else's computer. If you can't test the parts, then you have to guess, which is what the people who told you the PSU was bad were doing. In a sense, they were right, because PSU is by far the most likely.

Second most likely is the mobo, so people in this thread are also right. If the led still isn't on even with the new PSU, the this is definately the problem. Otherwise, it's only a guess based on probability.

Graphics card and CPU are tied at third most likely. You might try reinstalling the CPU in case it's not in there all the way. So next you could try to replace which ever one you can either replace from warranty or buy the cheapest.

One last note. Some computer stores will allow you to return parts within 14 days no questions asked. If you don't object to this practice on eithical grounds, you can use them for part swapping. I wouldn't buy more than one part at a time... though no questions asked is no questions asked. Make sure you can return parts before buying them this way.

I hope this helps. It's what I would do and have done in your situation. There are some very knowledgable people on these forums who may know something I don't, but there are also some people who don't know nearly as much as they pretend, such as those who assured you your PSU was bad. Sadly, your case is the most difficult to diagnose, and there is a good deal of luck invovled. So, I wish you the best of luck in your efforts.

OldGoat

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
I agree with 'mphelps', one other thing check to see if any jumpers have come loose. the manuel for the mobo will tell you if there are any. Not 100% familiar with that board. ALso, check the manual and see if you need to have paper washers at your standoffs. I think they are doing away with the need to do this but you never know. In the past the mobo could ground out at the standoffs, if you were using metal ones.

Good luck....

A2lacrosse

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
ive had the parts for almost month and half now. so i think i can tell them the mobo is dead.

ive checked everything, LED on mobo comes on.

so i think im going to send the motherboard back if i still can, or get a replacement.

TRENDING THREADS