Sign in with
Your question

New hardware - Lock-ups during gameplay

Last response: in Systems
October 3, 2006 9:20:56 PM

Hello all, first of all I apologize if this post is in the wrong area.

I just purchased new hardware and built my new PC today;

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300
Abit AB9 Pro
Kingston 2048MB 667MHz DDR2, CL5 DIMM 2x1024MB KIT
PNY NVIDIA 7600GT 256MB DDR3
Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB SATA
Antec Sonata II - 450W ATX12v 2.01
SB Audigy
Windows XP Pro

--

Everything works ok in windows but when I start to play things go bad. Sometimes I can play for 30mins, sometimes 5 mins. But whatever the uptime is the end result is allways the same -> the computer either reboots itself or it lock-ups completly and nothing can be done. The screen freezes, sound goes all weird though I can still hear the original game sounds in the background.

I have checked the temperatures of my CPU, Motherboard and the GFX card, all are ok.

What made me feel bit weird was the PNY GFX card. Especially it's fan. It speeds up to quite high RPM when I start a game. It stays in high RPM for quite some time, but suddenly, the RPM's from the FAN drop significantly. I went and checked how the GFX cards temps were after this, nothing major, just few celsius upwards. But when the fan has been in low RPM for about 3-10minutes the system locks-up. Well this could be just a coincidence and the PNY has designed it's fan so that it works.. quite weird..

I have noticed that the lock-ups usually allways happen just few mins after the GFX Cards fan has went to lower RPM (I still have no idea why this fan does it in a middle of gameplay). But still, though the rpm lowers the temperature still remains in a OK area.

I also tried removing the SB Audigy from the system and then enabling the Onboard Audio what this motherboard has, that did not help. Results are the same. Lockups and reboots.

PSU is 450wats, the GFX card isn't anything major, so I would assume this PSU is sufficent enough for these specs?

HDD is working ok what I can tell. When I installed the XP I formatted the drive with the slower method (not a quick format) and it formatted
the HDD without any errors.

I have all the latest drivers installed (including bios). I have also tried running the GFX card with old drivers, but that did not help either.

I also quickly tried to run memtest (my time ran out). It runned about 10mins and there was quite alot of errors. Should I be worried if memtest reports errors? Have I understanded right that even if memtest gives errors it does not necessarily mean that the module is broken?

Please, any help or advice would be highly appreciated, thank you.

PS. Nothing has been overclocked.
October 3, 2006 9:30:49 PM

Quote:
I also quickly tried to run memtest (my time ran out). It runned about 10mins and there was quite alot of errors. Should I be worried if memtest reports errors? Have I understanded right that even if memtest gives errors it does not necessarily mean that the module is broken?

Broken? Recommend you try some new RAM in your system and see if the crashing subsides.
October 3, 2006 9:46:39 PM

Quote:

Broken? Recommend you try some new RAM in your system and see if the crashing subsides.

Thanks for the reply badge.

Hmm, I removed the other module, now the one what I left in place passes on memtest without any errors.

Will need to go and try some games.
!