Sign in with
Your question

EU close to pressing formal charges against Intel?

Last response: in CPUs
October 3, 2006 11:01:31 PM

Well, it looks like the EU will start the long awaited case of AMD vs. Intel. Seems like they have collected enough data to go on with the formal charges against Intel.

Here are a few links:

Yahoo Biz
The Street
FT.com

Just to link a few. The strangest thing about the EU is that in the FT.com site, they also have a story about shoe retail prices.
Shoe story
Are shoe prices that bad in Europe?

Anyway, this will be interesting to see develop, especially in light of the US courts throwing out a part of AMD's case in the US. Right now, all the news stories about the EU going on with formal charges are a bit muddy. Some sites are claiming they are going through with it, and others are saying that they are still weighing the case. Either way, I think AMD and Intel are scrambling lawyers to get all their documentation ready, especially Intel.
October 3, 2006 11:48:44 PM

Lol, so the big kid pushes you on the playground and knocks over your wood chip castle. Run to the dean? Heck yes says AMD.
October 4, 2006 2:18:47 AM

That's all well and good, but not a surprise.

If you have the time, try to find out how many different lawsuits AMD and Intel have actually filed against one another. It will astound you.

Another part of that, is what these lawsuits are involving.

I see this as yet another attempt at gaining leverage, only this time, AMD filing the charges.

Just another chapter in the saga....
Related resources
October 4, 2006 2:25:56 AM

Quote:
Well, it looks like the EU will start the long awaited case of AMD vs. Intel. Seems like they have collected enough data to go on with the formal charges against Intel.

Here are a few links:

Yahoo Biz
The Street
FT.com

Just to link a few. The strangest thing about the EU is that in the FT.com site, they also have a story about shoe retail prices.
Shoe story
Are shoe prices that bad in Europe?

Anyway, this will be interesting to see develop, especially in light of the US courts throwing out a part of AMD's case in the US. Right now, all the news stories about the EU going on with formal charges are a bit muddy. Some sites are claiming they are going through with it, and others are saying that they are still weighing the case. Either way, I think AMD and Intel are scrambling lawyers to get all their documentation ready, especially Intel.

Didnt Imelda Markos flee to someplace in Europe?
October 4, 2006 3:15:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah, Germany originally decided not to go forward, but the EU picked up on it, no doubt at the request of AMD.

EU is more anti-big business in general, but their laws should help AMD get a handle over there.... this will become a microsoft like ordeal I suppose.

Interesting how the EU will handle this though as both companies have major manfuacturing operations in Europe.

Jack

That is true about the FABs in Europe.

I didn't know that Germany didn't go forward with the lawsuit, especially since AMD's factories are in their backyard.

The EU seems a bit off, to me, anyway. Maybe I should do some fact finding about the EU and what other strange "fairness" laws they have imposed.
!