Cell phone - simple email

Last response: in Network Providers
November 18, 2004 2:31:23 AM

I've had the At&T one rate plan with a Nokia 5160 phone for 6 years now.
I travel the USA extensively (Motorhome) and have been able to use the
phone with NO ROAMING OR LONG DISTANCE no matter where I was All usage
was deducted from my minutes bucket.There were no surprises and I was
happy. I was also, with the help of a PC Card 3com 3CCM556 and a NOK6
cable to be able to dial ANY ISP to SLOWLY download email as long as I
had a phone signal.

Now I've discovered that the modem will not function with Windows XP as
3com no longer supports this modem in XP (no drivers that work)

Now, with the merger and TDMA endangered, I'm trying to decide on a GSM
phone that I could use in a similar fashion without having to depend on
metropolitan areas and additional costs for data. Are there phones out
there that can be configured to as a dialup to any ISP even if I need to
buy a new modem/cable

--
Thanks

Traveling
November 18, 2004 2:31:24 AM

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:31:23 GMT, "Traveling"
<onourwaynow@falsenetzero.net> wrote:

>Now, with the merger and TDMA endangered, I'm trying to decide on a GSM
>phone that I could use in a similar fashion without having to depend on
>metropolitan areas and additional costs for data. Are there phones out
>there that can be configured to as a dialup to any ISP even if I need to
>buy a new modem/cable

Last time I checked cingular still has CSD (circuit switched data)
which gives really slow 9.6 kbps speeds. Fast enough for email
anyway. You do need to use GSM though.

November 18, 2004 3:22:46 AM

In <fbRmd.30975$7i4.25015@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Wed, 17 Nov
2004 23:31:23 GMT, "Traveling" <onourwaynow@falsenetzero.net> wrote:

>I've had the At&T one rate plan with a Nokia 5160 phone for 6 years now.
>I travel the USA extensively (Motorhome) and have been able to use the
>phone with NO ROAMING OR LONG DISTANCE no matter where I was All usage
>was deducted from my minutes bucket.There were no surprises and I was
>happy. I was also, with the help of a PC Card 3com 3CCM556 and a NOK6
>cable to be able to dial ANY ISP to SLOWLY download email as long as I
>had a phone signal.
>
>Now I've discovered that the modem will not function with Windows XP as
>3com no longer supports this modem in XP (no drivers that work)

The same "drivers" will work in XP -- it's just a configuration file. The
real driver is built into the OS.

>Now, with the merger and TDMA endangered, I'm trying to decide on a GSM
>phone that I could use in a similar fashion without having to depend on
>metropolitan areas and additional costs for data. Are there phones out
>there that can be configured to as a dialup to any ISP even if I need to
>buy a new modem/cable

Yes -- any GSM phone that supports CSD, which most do.

November 18, 2004 4:02:34 AM

In article <fbRmd.30975$7i4.25015@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
onourwaynow@falsenetzero.net says...
> Now I've discovered that the modem will not function with Windows XP as
> 3com no longer supports this modem in XP (no drivers that work)
>
> Now, with the merger and TDMA endangered, I'm trying to decide on a GSM
> phone that I could use in a similar fashion without having to depend on
> metropolitan areas and additional costs for data. Are there phones out
> there that can be configured to as a dialup to any ISP even if I need to
> buy a new modem/cable

First of all, have you tried searching for a driver. Google showed a
few searching for "3com 3CCM556". I assume that "cellular modem" forced
the phone into AMPS to make the data call. If so, the original driver
MAY have sent a command to switch the phone to AMPS which would need to
be duplicated with prefix codes in a generic driver. AMPS is being
reduced to the bare legal minimum per site until the 2007 sunset when
they can drop it altogether. But as of now it is still the widest
supported data-connect method and because there was a real modem
involved would work on any AMPS carrier.

As for GSM options, I'll start this but in case I get something wrong
I'm sure others will jump in. By the way--you're not going to be too
happy with the answers.

GSM offers two options--CSD and GPRS. Phones may support one, both or
neither. In both cases the GSM phones "emulate" a modem -- you set the
pc or pda to a "standard modem" but there is no modem hardware in the
phone just firmware talking to equipment on their end. CSD was
available on TDMA but not GPRS.

CSD is closest to what you were doing--maybe a tiny bit faster--and is
initiated as a "call" and comes out of your minutes. Big caveat--the
carrier must support it. Most roaming partners do not so it's pretty
much limited to Cingular native systems. I don't believe ATTWS ever
supported CSD but who knows what now. I still use CSD using a GAIT
phone (Nokia 6340i) connecting to a notebook and a pda both with IR.
Like you said--good enough for email and checking the weather radar.
You had to have "Internet Express" under TDMA, CSD was included in GSM
plans for awhile, now appears to be a charge item again IF you can get a
CSR that knows what you're asking for.

GPRS doesn't connect as a call but once initiated stays "on" until you
turn it or the phone off. You must buy a "data plan" for some sort to
get it. MUCH faster than CSD probably approaching 56k or so. There are
even faster versions on the way (EDGE and others). Again, very very
dependent on the carrier and most likely will only work with Cingular
and "maybe" ATTWS after the "integration".

So, for either slow or fast data connections, under GSM you're going to
be limited to metro areas, along Interstates, and other areas covered by
native Cingular. At least until the smaller carriers convert to GSM and
then get around to supporting data. Could be years. May not happen
until WCDMA or whatever the next generation rolls out before you regain
true nation-wide data ability. 'Course once we do get it, it'll be
vastly better than the old AMPS and CSD speeds.
--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

Interesting. XP did load a driver but when I attempted to get email, the
phone dialed out, my ISP (AT&T WorldNet) answered but would connect to
the server. My question to 3COM was answered "Unfortunately we do not
support this card under Windows XP" This modem worked well with Win98.
Can you direct me to a resource that can help me configure this modem
under XP?

Also, what is CSD ?

Thanks

Traveling

>>I've had the At&T one rate plan with a Nokia 5160 phone for 6 years
>>now.
>>I travel the USA extensively (Motorhome) and have been able to use the
>>phone with NO ROAMING OR LONG DISTANCE no matter where I was All usage
>>was deducted from my minutes bucket.There were no surprises and I was
>>happy. I was also, with the help of a PC Card 3com 3CCM556 and a NOK6
>>cable to be able to dial ANY ISP to SLOWLY download email as long as I
>>had a phone signal.
>>
>>Now I've discovered that the modem will not function with Windows XP
>>as
>>3com no longer supports this modem in XP (no drivers that work)
>
> The same "drivers" will work in XP -- it's just a configuration file.
> The
> real driver is built into the OS.
>
>>Now, with the merger and TDMA endangered, I'm trying to decide on a
>>GSM
>>phone that I could use in a similar fashion without having to depend
>>on
>>metropolitan areas and additional costs for data. Are there phones out
>>there that can be configured to as a dialup to any ISP even if I need
>>buy a new modem/cable
>
> Yes -- any GSM phone that supports CSD, which most do.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
Anonymous
November 18, 2004 4:17:14 PM

No, I don't NEED to use GSM but my PC card that I used with my Nokia
5160 is not supported in XP. I'm looking to hedge my bet knowing that
TDMA is endangered. I planned to keep TDMA for voice, lower my minutes
bucket, and use a GSM plan for some voice calls and email. It's the loss
of email that's prompting this change.

--
Thanks

Traveling

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 23:31:23 GMT, "Traveling"
> <onourwaynow@falsenetzero.net> wrote:
>
>>Now, with the merger and TDMA endangered, I'm trying to decide on a
>>GSM
>>phone that I could use in a similar fashion without having to depend
>>on
>>metropolitan areas and additional costs for data. Are there phones out
>>there that can be configured to as a dialup to any ISP even if I need
>>buy a new modem/cable
>
> Last time I checked cingular still has CSD (circuit switched data)
> which gives really slow 9.6 kbps speeds. Fast enough for email
> anyway. You do need to use GSM though.

November 18, 2004 8:01:45 PM

CSD = Circuit Switched Data, effectively dial-up over GSM (as compared to
packet-switched GPRS)

If you're getting a connection, then you have some sort of configuration
problem in XP or (more likely) your email.

See my webpages below for general help.