Running an MS DOS based program on XP

November 21, 2004 9:59:02 AM

I've just got a program that is designed to run in DOS. It worked fine
yesterday but now when I open it the black screen appears for a second and
then dissapears. Why is this happening? I have one other similar program that
does the same thing.

Help.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 2:58:07 PM

Hi, Laury.

HOW are you trying to run it? From the Run prompt? Or in a "DOS" window?
Or...?

Some MS-DOS programs won't run at all in WinXP, but most will. Since it
"worked fine yesterday", yours is obviously not one of those. If you
mention the name of the program, someone here might recognize it and have
some tips for you.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"LauryC" <LauryC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just got a program that is designed to run in DOS. It worked fine
> yesterday but now when I open it the black screen appears for a second and
> then dissapears. Why is this happening? I have one other similar program
> that
> does the same thing.
>
> Help.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 7:59:12 PM

Hi,

Hit ctrl+shift+escape, go to the processes tab and kill any instances of
wowexec.exe and ntvdm.exe. Then close and retry running the DOS software.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"LauryC" <LauryC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just got a program that is designed to run in DOS. It worked fine
> yesterday but now when I open it the black screen appears for a second and
> then dissapears. Why is this happening? I have one other similar program
> that
> does the same thing.
>
> Help.
April 27, 2005 4:50:58 PM

I have a client that recently upgraded to XP Pro. There inventory control
program is DOS based. When the program is launched NTVDM executes and the
CPU goes to 99% locking up most other functions including printing. Ideas?
Thanks.
--
Ed
Information Technology Consultants

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hit ctrl+shift+escape, go to the processes tab and kill any instances of
> wowexec.exe and ntvdm.exe. Then close and retry running the DOS software.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "LauryC" <LauryC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've just got a program that is designed to run in DOS. It worked fine
> > yesterday but now when I open it the black screen appears for a second and
> > then dissapears. Why is this happening? I have one other similar program
> > that
> > does the same thing.
> >
> > Help.

April 27, 2005 8:57:22 PM

In news:5FFBF8DD-C638-450A-A91E-02B4EB6A43FE@microsoft.com,
Ed P <EdP@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have a client that recently upgraded to XP Pro. There inventory
> control program is DOS based. When the program is launched NTVDM
> executes and the CPU goes to 99% locking up most other functions
> including printing. Ideas? Thanks.

Besides recommending that they upgrade to a new inventory application? DOS
doesn't really exist in XP but rather is mostly emulated. There's a few
different compatability tools that you could try if you wanted but I'd avoid
that if I were you as they're not always that effective.

DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

That tool's got a small learning curve but manages DOS in XP quite nicely.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 3:06:03 PM

Been there done that; each time the program is launched NTVDM launches. Next?

Thanks,
Ed

!