Running an MS DOS based program on XP

I've just got a program that is designed to run in DOS. It worked fine
yesterday but now when I open it the black screen appears for a second and
then dissapears. Why is this happening? I have one other similar program that
does the same thing.

Help.
5 answers Last reply
More about running based program

    Hi, Laury.

    HOW are you trying to run it? From the Run prompt? Or in a "DOS" window?
    Or...?

    Some MS-DOS programs won't run at all in WinXP, but most will. Since it
    "worked fine yesterday", yours is obviously not one of those. If you
    mention the name of the program, someone here might recognize it and have
    some tips for you.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "LauryC" <LauryC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've just got a program that is designed to run in DOS. It worked fine
    > yesterday but now when I open it the black screen appears for a second and
    > then dissapears. Why is this happening? I have one other similar program
    > that
    > does the same thing.
    >
    > Help.

    Hi,

    Hit ctrl+shift+escape, go to the processes tab and kill any instances of
    wowexec.exe and ntvdm.exe. Then close and retry running the DOS software.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "LauryC" <LauryC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've just got a program that is designed to run in DOS. It worked fine
    > yesterday but now when I open it the black screen appears for a second and
    > then dissapears. Why is this happening? I have one other similar program
    > that
    > does the same thing.
    >
    > Help.

    I have a client that recently upgraded to XP Pro. There inventory control
    program is DOS based. When the program is launched NTVDM executes and the
    CPU goes to 99% locking up most other functions including printing. Ideas?
    Thanks.
    --
    Ed
    Information Technology Consultants

    In news:5FFBF8DD-C638-450A-A91E-02B4EB6A43FE@microsoft.com,
    Ed P <EdP@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I have a client that recently upgraded to XP Pro. There inventory
    > control program is DOS based. When the program is launched NTVDM
    > executes and the CPU goes to 99% locking up most other functions
    > including printing. Ideas? Thanks.

    Besides recommending that they upgrade to a new inventory application? DOS
    doesn't really exist in XP but rather is mostly emulated. There's a few
    different compatability tools that you could try if you wanted but I'd avoid
    that if I were you as they're not always that effective.

    DOSBox, a x86 emulator with DOS:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

    That tool's got a small learning curve but manages DOS in XP quite nicely.

    Galen

    mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

    Been there done that; each time the program is launched NTVDM launches. Next?

    Thanks,
    Ed

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Hit ctrl+shift+escape, go to the processes tab and kill any instances of
    > > wowexec.exe and ntvdm.exe. Then close and retry running the DOS software.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,

    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "LauryC" <LauryC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I've just got a program that is designed to run in DOS. It worked fine
    > > > yesterday but now when I open it the black screen appears for a second and
    > > > then dissapears. Why is this happening? I have one other similar program
    > > > that
    > > > does the same thing.
    > > >
    > > > Help.

MS-DOS Microsoft Windows XP