Second Take: Quake Wars vs. Team Fortress 2

What''s going to be the better online multi-player game?

• Enemy Territory: Quake Wars

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Team Fortress 2

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Neither, I prefer to try to subvert the man

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters

bennyblanx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Ben Meyer and Rob Wright compare two upcoming online multi-player titles for the PC: Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and Team Fortress 2.

Watch Video

Which do you think will end up being the better game?

Also, tell us how we are doing. We can always use show ideas.

Cheers,

-Ben

SgtDink

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
A cartoon versus the child of Enemy Territory? Come on. Half-life was the best game when it came out. Now, even Half-Life 2 multiplayer sucks. They built on that very same suckage with a cartoon that is TF2. It's the same game that has been reinvented over and over again, and they turned it into a cartoon. Makes me sick.

Rich, team-based objectives are the way to go. If it is half of ET, then it will rock.

A cartoon? I hate it now. If I was nine, I'd still hate it.

Besides, who cares? UT2007 will rule. I have been to the future, and I saw my body infarcted in front of the UT2007 splash screen covered in pork rind shavings. What a way to go. I can't wait.

schkorpio

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
comparing apples to bananas, the best one will be depending on your taste.

You guys should consider hiring models to read out you articles, it hurts my eyes watch two computer geeks.

The guy on the left looks like he's had way too much coffee and is amazed by anything colourful and the guy on the right looks like he's constapated. he could probably do with a better fiber intake.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
You guys should consider hiring models to read out you articles, it hurts my eyes watch two computer geeks.

The guy on the left looks like he's had way too much coffee and is amazed by anything colourful and the guy on the right looks like he's constapated. he could probably do with a better fiber intake.

Ben, this guy totally hit the nail on the head. You drink, like, six cups of high test Starbucks a day in the office and get all bug-eyed and high strung. And me, well...lets not go there. BTW, any suggestions on fiber cereal?

I have been to the future, and I saw my body infarcted in front of the UT2007 splash screen covered in pork rind shavings. What a way to go. I can't wait.

:lol:
That might be the best line I've read on the Forumz this year -- digusting imagery aside. Kudos, SgtDink!

That said, TF2 will beat both UT07 and Quake Wars. And no, I haven't been to the future...

schkorpio

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
well i'm no nutritionist, i just hang around forums and semi flame people. but you can get powders now if you don't like the taste of oats and stuff :p

Sinick

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Team Fortress 2 has me super excited! I used to play TFC back in the WON days on a server with AdminOp on it almost non stop. Granted, since that server's gone down I haven't really played TFC much any more - but TF2 looks fantastic.

Have to disagree that it's going to beat out UT3 though (It's no longer called UT2007, =D). UT3 is going to wipe the floor (Not in strategy gameplay, though).

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Heh... a little difficult to compare the two, although I wouldn't colour them as apples and oranges. They are both team based first person shooters.

Because TF2 likes so cartoonish (I think it looks great though, don't get me wrong), but the reality is that assuming they both turn into solid games, ET will see more gameplay, more clans, more tournaments, people will just take a serious game more seriously. I think they will both be huge, but ET will take the cake.

Ben, come on... ET looking better than Crysis?? Haha, I guess it all comes down to perspective.. we'll need to see some previews before we start making any guesses. Personally, I think Crysis will be better looking even more Gears Of War. That game is just unbelievably good looking.. I'm hoping once I graduate I can snipe a position at Ubisoft or something and start working on some nice games.. I've got a lot of ideas to bring to the table, just that I can't afford the table!

Anyway, a good discussion. Keep up the good work. Finally Ben is throwing in more opinions (whether I agree or not, but thats the point right?).

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007

Who let the kids out of school????

schkorpio

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

Who let the kids out of school????

i'm a 35 year young mexican hobre

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Seriously. I'm only 38, but I've been playing computer games at home since my dad bought a commodore PET 2001 back in 1977.

I miss the days of jumping on the computer and playing for 10 minutes and walking away feeling like I've not wasted time cause I didn't make it to a save point. Who the heck got it into their freaking heads to have "checkpoints" that mean squat?? Take console games, you can get to checkpoints in 10-15 minutes, but OH NO if you quit, it's like you never got there. NO you have to play for an hour or so to get to "the save point".

God I miss the days of player controlled saves.

Anyways, my point is that I don't have a lot of time to play. I'm over dm'ing, but I still love and play CS, TFC, Diablo2, Dungeon Seige and other games simply because I can jump in, play for a bit, feel good about it and quit. No feeling like I HAVE to play for an hour or I'm not going to be able to progress in the game.

DEV'S!!! Listen up. Not everyone wants to waste their life away playing hours a day.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Its going to depend on taste. I prefer simple games like CS:S. Games where I can jump in, play a little bit, and feel accomplished. TF2 will have many great mods, I'm sure. Right now I play CS:S' gungame mod and it is so much fun.

Both will have their popularity, but I will be going for TF2.

wicko

Distinguished
May 9, 2007
Quicksave is man's best friend... Thats one of the reasons why i'd rather play PC than console shooters. I once got it into my head that quick saves are kind of cheap, but I've only been around for 22 years lol.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Quick saves as the bomb. Or games that don't need you to save at all (Wow, guild wars, battlefield, online games), just awesome.

I'm gonna stick it to the man! Buy all 3.. TF2, QW, Ut3, too bad the black box is cancelled for TF2, so i'll probably get it in like a year or two. I like how they said on one game site, now you'll be able to give away your 2nd copy of HL2 8O .. right..

killnfield

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2007
I just have to sit down a laugh. ET does look good. Team Fortress was what made Quake what it was back in the days. ET is also a MOD so I like that. I mean look at BF1942. With out dessert combat that game would not have been what it was in it's prime. I can't wait to play TF2. TFC was a good as well. Look at BF2 it blows with the bs ranking system. ET looks good, but DOOM was ok and so was Q4. Halflife2 had a great single player mode but online it sucked butt. I think that Valve is going to come up big with TF2 I am looking for something that I don't have to waist have my life to get another rank. I have been gaming forever. I mean who played back in the days of TEN, Mplayer,Kali,Kahn. That was the hey day of online gaming and it has never been as fun then when it was new and exciting. I am feeling like I am a teenager again. I am married with kids and a full time job and don't have all the time in the world anymore to play games like I used to. TF2 Rules for OLD FARTS =P What 30 this month damn....

Kill

Ladyhawk_LH

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006

Shallow much?

Ghost9

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
if you really think that quake wars looks better than crysis, you must be blind. Or maybe you have been looking at low res vids. I dunno, but quake wars looks extremely dated to me and crysis will blow it out of the water. That being said, i think TF2 will be the better of the 2, but i have no doubt both will be extremely fun.

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I think that Quake wars will be better. I don't like the cartoon style. the source engine makes great looking people so it seem like a wast to do what valve did.

Pist

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
TF2 is by far the better game.

Team Fortress 2:
Has stats tracking and you can play custom maps without having to worry about losing stats tracking.
It doesn't have streaming in game advertisement's.

ET:Quakewars:
Can't play custom maps on any server unless you want to lose ranks/stats tracking.
You have at least 4-8 billboards all over each map that will have streaming advertisement's soon.
(microsoft is handling the streaming ad's monitoring for quakewars)

Team Fortress 2 gameplay is more fun, each class is fun to play, the biggest thing TF2 is lacking right now is maps.
(only 1 CTF map and 6 Control Point maps)
Just wish there was a demo for TF2 so you can try it yourself. :hello:

Just look at the numbers on gamespy or gamemonitor, the numbers don't lie.

_Morphine_

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Just wanted to add my two cents.

There hasn't been much in the way of shooters for the PC worth playing nightly for a long time. Im talking the kind of sit down and get good with a beer before bed every night. That type of repeatable play is what I have been looking forward to finding with the new releases headed out for the PC.

What I spent was 100 bucks. What I got was QWET and Orange Box.
Im a huge quake fan (minus quake 4) and QWET was a large disappointment. Its never a good sign that after playing for an hour you feel the need to fire up the older game just to make sure it didnt erase your skills. I put about 3 hours into it and lost interest rather quickly and permanently.

The next thing I bought was the orange box.
Portal was neat, short, and never really got you thinking like I was hoping. It never stumped me for more than a few minutes. I really liked the game was happy to see the hints of a sequel. The bonus map section puts emphasis on speed and accuracy and makes the stakes higher. Its a great game, but I see why it was sold in a package with other games. Its not a standalone title. I must say though, I would happily pay 50 bucks for TF2 alone though.

TF2 is simply the best shooter I have played in years. I liked the source engine from the get go. HL2 multi player was weak. and CS:S made me feel like a victim of circumstance most deaths. Skill couldnt get you out of hairy situations. Thats bad design. I never really got to enjoy the engine's physics and frame rates until now. TF2 is so well balanced the game play is deep and fun. How you move is important. There are no strange behaviors seen like people jumping up and down or laying down on the ground. The corners are never deep. Doorways cant be camped too badly. The only thing I can complain about is some issues with the engine itself and of course the lack of good maps, or maps at all. The only question I have now is: Which ladder should I join?

xruntime

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
Morphine really hit it on the button. Props to you, Morphine, your post is well-written and insightful - hit everything I wanted to say and more.

I usually am not a really avid video game player except for a select few single player games and some multiplayer games. Most of them are shooters, with a few racing and sport games. I have not been so engrossed by a game with Team Fortress 2 as I have with Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and perhaps even Halo 1 for PC. Quake Wars probably is just as good, I haven't played it much, but as numerous people mentioned, there's a steep learning curve and much more to the game - for those of us who just want to get into a game and have fun, TF2 is the solution. That's not to say Quake Wars is bad, but I think on this one TF2 just outdoes the competition. Legendary.

TF2's strength is in its elegant simplicity. Easy to play, cartoonish, loads of fun - just like the Mario franchise, another cartoon series that's pure fun to play for everyone, and easy to pick up. Props to Valve to making one of the best packages ever in the Orange Box. This game will go down in history, without a doubt.