Recommendation please

Looking for a scanner that:

Can scan direct text pages to PDF
Can scan photos direct to JPG or PDF
Has an ADF that can handle 8 1/2 x 11 paper and 4 x 6 photos
Costs under $1000

We need to scan stacks of photos and 100-page depositions. Do not
necessarily need "searching" or OCR capabilities. Just a way to get the
documents digital so we can dump the hard copies.

I know Xerox has a couple of table-top models. But any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
John
1 answer Last reply
More about recommendation please

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:58:41 -0400, "John" <None> wrote:

    >Looking for a scanner that:
    >
    >Can scan direct text pages to PDF

    I think you will find that if you have a program such as Adobe Acrobat
    Professional the extensions will be installed for many scanners. Price
    is in the neighborhood of $450 to $500 (I'm too lazy to go look it up
    and even though I purchased a copy a few months back I don't remember
    the specific price) Mine (just an inexpensive HP 5470 flat bed) will
    save in PDFs or JPGs. It will do a <save as> in 11 different formats.
    >Can scan photos direct to JPG or PDF

    Most scanners will do JPGs. I don't know of any that won't, but there
    probably are special purpose ones that do not have that capability.

    >Has an ADF that can handle 8 1/2 x 11 paper and 4 x 6 photos
    >Costs under $1000

    I think the ADF may have put you out of the $1000 range, but maybe
    not.

    >We need to scan stacks of photos and 100-page depositions. Do not

    If these are "depositions" in the normal sense, I seriously doubt you
    will be able to "dump" the paper originals due to the legal
    regulations.

    >necessarily need "searching" or OCR capabilities. Just a way to get the
    >documents digital so we can dump the hard copies.

    I don't know what business you are in, nor am I asking, but...
    Depending on the Docs, or what they contain, many times it is required
    that the originals be kept, even if in a vault. That means the
    original "wet" signatures must be available for inspection.

    Our local government has gone digital, but they still have to keep the
    original paper docs. The company where I used to work also had to
    keep the paper documents even though we worked from digital copies.
    Even project charters which were on-line had to have the, signed
    originals kept in the paper archives. We had one particular operation
    that required quite a few truck loads of documents. We had to keep
    the paper originals.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    >I know Xerox has a couple of table-top models. But any suggestions?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >John

Scanners Xerox Peripherals Product