Sign in with
Your question

Best upgrade path for Socket 754? Help Please!!!!

Last response: in CPUs
October 4, 2006 1:02:55 AM

I am looking to upgrade my computer. I have a Clawhammer Socket 754 3400+ at standard clock speeds. My motherboard is a FIC K8-800T. I have an AGP Leadtek 6800GT Oc'd to 400MHz and 1100 Memory. I have 1.5 GB DDR 400. 120Gb and 80Gb hard drive. DVD drive and a Lightscribe DVD Burner. Logisys Dracula case. Where would I see the most improvement? I have had this computer 2 years as of August. I am hoping to build new next fall, but want to do the most I can in the meantime. Thanks for all the good ideas!!!!!!
October 4, 2006 1:13:54 AM

Well... my tip would be graphic card... You can get a 7800 AGP, other then that I dont think you have much options. A WD raptor drive might improve start up and loading times aswell... If I were you i would wait until january next year to buy a new rig. Both Intel and AMD wil have tons of new cpus out for us to play with, and the first DX10 cards from ATi and nVidia will also be out.
October 4, 2006 1:21:00 AM

I though that the 6800 GT is a good enough card.... Would I see much difference with a 7800/7900 AGP card?? I play on a 17" LCD screen, so not too high resolutions. Since mine is oc'd I usually play FEAR, Prey, and have no problems with the games. My old card was an ATI 9200 w/256mb and the difference was dramatic when I got my 6800 GT.
Related resources
October 4, 2006 1:28:55 AM

there are no 7900 agp cards. and no you probably won't see much of a diff... you don't have much of an upgrade path. sure you could drop in a new cpu or blow a bunch of money on a vid card that will be only marginally better or buy a raptor but none of these will really improve the system ALOT because s754 is now dated. your best to sit with it, doesn't sound like a bad setup now. wait till you can buy a new comp with a good budget and have fun with it.
October 4, 2006 1:36:01 AM

If you're using an LCD, I think that a video card upgrade might just be what's in order. With an LCD, you WANT to always use the highest (a.k.a. native) resolution. Hence, a better video card will help you maintain that. And your 3400+ should be enough for even a 7900GT in most games... (that is, if there was an AGP 7900GT...)

There really isn't much in the way of an upgrade path that involves replacing your CPU. The only more powerful processor around for it is the 3700+... And those are rare, and mysteriously high-priced, last I checked.
October 4, 2006 2:09:03 AM

Mork is correct.Your upgrade options are very limited and expensive for your current rig.As for a better graphics card,a 7800 agp is your only option.But alas,it to is fairly pricey.There are no higher agp cards anymore.although a 7600gs would be an option,your 6800gt outperforms it.However the 7600 does offer the latest shader support as well as HDR(HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE).Add to that it's price,and you have a decent card.Over all I would say that if you're wanting to upgrade your system,you can either wait as Mork has suggested till next year,or you can build one now.Seeing as cpu prices are so cheap right now,it may be a good time to upgrade to something more powerful now.And wait for the bugs to get worked out of the new stuff coming out next year.Ya right now you could build a decent system for around 1500.00 canadian.Goodluck.

Dahak

EVGA NF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4 S-939
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR@1280X1024
October 4, 2006 2:26:40 AM

Quote:
I am looking to upgrade my computer. I have a Clawhammer Socket 754 3400+ at standard clock speeds. My motherboard is a FIC K8-800T. I have an AGP Leadtek 6800GT Oc'd to 400MHz and 1100 Memory. I have 1.5 GB DDR 400. 120Gb and 80Gb hard drive. DVD drive and a Lightscribe DVD Burner. Logisys Dracula case. Where would I see the most improvement? I have had this computer 2 years as of August. I am hoping to build new next fall, but want to do the most I can in the meantime. Thanks for all the good ideas!!!!!!

There are a million variations to your question, but here is an option and it IS what I am doing with my son's PC...

Get whatever Core 2 Duo processesor you want ($180 and up) and a ASRock 775Dual-VSTA Socket T mobo ($55) VERY nice and flexible mobo as it supports AGP AND PCIe (for later vid card upgrade) and it supports DDR AND DDR2 ram (again...for later upgrade) There is maybe a 2-4% performance hit, but who cares!? You can use everything you currently have now and upgrade components as you go, later on.

Good luck!
October 4, 2006 2:40:55 AM

You system looks ok to me. If you really want to save cash. Get a 939 dual core cpu and a AsusRock dual stata mother board. It has an AGP slot and a PCI-16x slot. Use the same memory, video card, and hard drive, etc. The mother board and lowest end dual core cpu will run you about $220.00. But if you have the cash go for a major upgrade next year and get a decent system. By then the new video cards and better cpus will be out. :wink:

I also like gorgerax idea as well. :wink: Just be careful some of those mother boards that have two graphic slots for AGP and PCI don't always support the full speed for that slot. I know the board I mentioned above does have a full speed agp 8X and a full speed pci express 16X slot.
October 4, 2006 5:51:44 AM

Actually I believe this is a better bet.
Asrock 775Dual-VSTA

He can get this board and a 6300 for about $250.00 shipped
Upgrade to pci-e and ddr2 at his leisure.
The socket 939 board offers less upgradeability.
a c 471 à CPUs
October 4, 2006 1:57:44 PM

I would simply overclock the CPU. The 6800GT is relatively old, but it's no slouch, especially if you are OC'ing it by 400MHz. For any type of GPU improvement, you'll have to spend over $200 which I think will be a waste.

Keep your system as is. Spending any money now would only make sense if you are going to build a new PC now.
October 4, 2006 1:57:59 PM

You are probably right in regards to future upgrades. If he continues to use his AGP card he should be ok. I don't think that board supports a full speed PCI-E slot I think it is only a 4x or 6x slot. But he has a pretty good AGP card that will last him another 6 months unitl the directX10 cards come out and if he has the cash he can always get a better mother board.
October 5, 2006 2:16:11 PM

It is a full speed pci-e slot.
The chipset causes about a 5% loss in performance but what would you expect for agp AND pci-e on the same board ? Always a tradeoff.
October 5, 2006 2:43:33 PM

Buy my Epox socket 754 SLI board off me and get a 7900GTO or two.
!