Should have known earlier.

ic144

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Before Maxtor was bought by Seagate, I remember some people saying that Maxtor had extreme reliability problems. It was pretty obvious due to their fat contract with Dell and other major suppliers.

I wish I knew this before I got this Maxtor HD.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
All the major brands are pretty much equally reliable. With some individual models being better than others.

Just remember for every person complaining about a bad drive there are probably 20-100 others quietly using their drive with zero problems.

You can go to storage review and see which of the drives that are no longer being sold tended to outlast their warranty.

Whats more important to me is how a company honors its warranty and what kind of hoops they make you jump through to get a replacement.

So far WD has always treated me right. I call and tell them whats wrong with the drive. They ship me a new one. I send the old one back in the new one's packaging. Whole thing costs me 5 minutes, $5 and a trip to FedEx.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Before Maxtor was bought by Seagate, I remember some people saying that Maxtor had extreme reliability problems. It was pretty obvious due to their fat contract with Dell and other major suppliers.

I wish I knew this before I got this Maxtor HD.

Actually what happened was that Dell used a ton of them and because Dell had a forum, and there were large number of users at that forum and on usenet, every Tom, Dick, and Harry that had a failure all assembled in one place to proclaim "me too".

So if you have a normal 5% failure rate and 40,000 customers, and forums where 2,000 of those people gather, do the math- 5% of 2,000 is 100.

If you saw a thread here where 100 different people said their brand X product failed, it'd look like crap even if the actual failure rate was no worse than any other (drive) subject to the same environment.

On the other hand, most of Dell's low end cases didn't do so well cooling more than one HDD, as only the first one was butted up against the chassis air intake holes (being vertically oriented and parallel to the front of the case).

Morton

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2005
Here are some components which broke or became flawed for unknown reasons in 2-3 years after I bought them (1998-2006): Sony CRT monitor, Twinmos RAM, Soundblaster Live!, Q-Tec PSU and a Seagate hard-drive.

ReliReli

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
My Maxtors have been running without problem for almost five years of constant use - I've thrown everything at them and they just won't die.

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
used a maxtor 20gb hdd for five years and it worked fine and never failed. my current hdd is a 200gb maxtor and i havent had any problems in the 6months running it.

well seen you're a stranger...