Easy question - Excel files

January 27, 2005 11:52:38 AM

This should be easy but nothing I try seems to work.
How do I copy an Excel file from my PC to my PDA?
How do I copy a folder to my PDA?
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 1:00:47 PM

Hello,

In ActiveSync, enable the Files under Tools>Options. This will create a
sync folder and anything in that folder will be sync'ed with My Documents on
your Pocket PC. If you want to copy a folder to your Pocket PC, simply copy
that folder to the newly created sync folder on your desktop and it will be
sync'ed as well.

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

"old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message
news:p p6Kd.1732$X82.744@fe06.lga...
> This should be easy but nothing I try seems to work.
> How do I copy an Excel file from my PC to my PDA?
> How do I copy a folder to my PDA?
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 4:39:26 PM

Clinton Fitch (Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In ActiveSync, enable the Files under Tools>Options. This will create a
> sync folder and anything in that folder will be sync'ed with My Documents on
> your Pocket PC. If you want to copy a folder to your Pocket PC, simply copy
> that folder to the newly created sync folder on your desktop and it will be
> sync'ed as well.
>
> Regards,

Very good. A couple more questions.
Does the folder have to be on my desktop?
Can I paste shortcuts to the sync folder or must I move the actual file?
January 27, 2005 5:48:03 PM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:52:38 -0500, old guy <jlunis@charter.net>
wrote:

>This should be easy but nothing I try seems to work.
>How do I copy an Excel file from my PC to my PDA?
>How do I copy a folder to my PDA?
When you save the Excel file save it in Excel 97 format
in the My Documents Pocket PC folder. Activesync will
sync it over. Be forewarned though, not everything on
the desktop version of excel will work on the PPC.

With the exception of Outlook all other files copy over
from the My Documents Pocket PC folder on the desktop.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 7:02:59 PM

Amy Gray wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:52:38 -0500, old guy <jlunis@charter.net>
> wrote:
>

>>This should be easy but nothing I try seems to work.
>>How do I copy an Excel file from my PC to my PDA?
>>How do I copy a folder to my PDA?
>
> When you save the Excel file save it in Excel 97 format
> in the My Documents Pocket PC folder. Activesync will
> sync it over. Be forewarned though, not everything on
> the desktop version of excel will work on the PPC.
>
> With the exception of Outlook all other files copy over
> from the My Documents Pocket PC folder on the desktop.

Thanks Amy,
I don't see a 'My Documents Pocket PC' folder on my desktop. I have 2
'My Documents' folders that I hate entensely.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 7:11:57 PM

"old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message
news:p p6Kd.1732$X82.744@fe06.lga...
> This should be easy but nothing I try seems to work.
> How do I copy an Excel file from my PC to my PDA?
> How do I copy a folder to my PDA?

Easiest way? Use autosync to connect the PDA to the host computer. Hit
"explore" on Activesync on the PC - should opne up an explorer window.
Browse to the files you want and copy them over to the device. IF you are
using pocket Excel put them in your MyDocuments folder. The system converts
these into pocket excel files, and convert them back when they are moved
back to the PC.

Better way? Buy Planmaker for the PPC (PDA) and a storage card. Turn off
conversion to PXL from within Active sync. Stick the spreadsheets on the
card, either through ActiveSync as above or directly. Then open the XLS
spreads using Planmaker on the PPC - no conversion, graphs and formatting
still work, all is good.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:04:41 AM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:02:59 -0500, old guy <jlunis@charter.net>
wrote:

>Thanks Amy,
> I don't see a 'My Documents Pocket PC' folder on my desktop. I have 2
>'My Documents' folders that I hate entensely.
It maybe different on your system. When I created the partnership
with Activesync it created a Pocket PC My Documents folder within
the main My Documents folder.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:06:53 AM

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:11:57 -0500, "xTenn"
<xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote:

>"old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message
>news:p p6Kd.1732$X82.744@fe06.lga...
>> This should be easy but nothing I try seems to work.
>> How do I copy an Excel file from my PC to my PDA?
>> How do I copy a folder to my PDA?
>
>Easiest way? Use autosync to connect the PDA to the host computer. Hit
>"explore" on Activesync on the PC - should opne up an explorer window.
>Browse to the files you want and copy them over to the device. IF you are
>using pocket Excel put them in your MyDocuments folder. The system converts
>these into pocket excel files, and convert them back when they are moved
>back to the PC.
That is the slow way to do it, just put it the Pocket PC My Documents
folder and let Activesync copy it for you. Copying it manually is a
pain in the neck.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:23:05 AM

Alternatively

(1) Within ActiveSync, use File > Explore
(2) Within File Explorer, copy to locations under "Mobile Device"

--
Email: developer@jointsense.com.hk
Homepage: http://www.jointsense.com.hk/

<management@NOTHANKIEclintonfitch.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> In ActiveSync, enable the Files under Tools>Options. This will create a
> sync folder and anything in that folder will be sync'ed with My Documents
> on your Pocket PC. If you want to copy a folder to your Pocket PC, simply
> copy that folder to the newly created sync folder on your desktop and it
> will be sync'ed as well.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Clinton Fitch
> Senior Editor / Owner
> Clinton Fitch (Dot) Com!
> http://www.clintonfitch.com
>
> A Pocket PC Magazine "Best Site" for Pocket PC Reviews!
>

> "old guy" <jlunis@charter.net> wrote in message
> news:p p6Kd.1732$X82.744@fe06.lga...
>> This should be easy but nothing I try seems to work.
>> How do I copy an Excel file from my PC to my PDA?
>> How do I copy a folder to my PDA?

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:23:06 AM

Joint_Sense wrote:
> Alternatively
>
> (1) Within ActiveSync, use File > Explore
> (2) Within File Explorer, copy to locations under "Mobile Device"

Thanks. Just guessing 'File Explorer' is "Windows Explorer' on my PC
and not 'File Explorer' on my PDA. When I try to copy a file to Mobile
Devices I get a little circle icon with a line through it - the
universal "NO!"
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:23:07 AM

>> universal NO! <<

First question, is the PPC connected when you do this?

Second question, are you dropping it in a specific folder on the device
or just on the device icon?

Suggestion... after connect, open the "device icon" in windows file
explorer and give it time to discover the folders and files then expand
to the folder you want... once the files in that folder have displayed,
try the drag and drop again.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:23:07 AM

> Joint_Sense wrote:
>> Alternatively
>>
>> (1) Within ActiveSync, use File > Explore
>> (2) Within File Explorer, copy to locations under "Mobile Device"
>>
> Thanks. Just guessing 'File Explorer' is "Windows Explorer' on my PC and
> not 'File Explorer' on my PDA. When I try to copy a file to Mobile
> Devices I get a little circle icon with a line through it - the universal
> "NO!"

select file(s), right-click, copy - on pc
browse to destination folder under 'Mobile device'
select destination folder, right-click, paste

this seems to work on mine where drag 'n' drop fails

bob
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:43:18 AM

Reply to message from Amy Gray <JudgeAmyGrayNOSPAM@hotmail.com> (Fri, 28
Jan 2005 01:06:53) about ""Re: Easy question - Excel files"":

> That is the slow way to do it, just put it the Pocket PC My Documents
> folder and let Activesync copy it for you. Copying it manually is a pain
> in the neck.

Depends on the size of the spreadsheet(s) - it might be that you don't want
eating up main memory on the device, which is the only place that active
sync can put it without 3rd party tools. Besides, using the explorer with
Active Sync it is the same paste whether it is to your My Documents folder
or the Mobile device storage card, albeit you need to have the device
connected when you do it.

Also note that I am advocating to turn off the conversion to pxl, can't
stress that one enough - I've had too many unexpected annoyances, despite
staying within the funtionality range of pocket excel. Besides, pocket
Excel will read and write xls (on 2003), and the pxl format, thanks to this
imho, is becoming obsolete.

Now a real robust spreadsheet on the ppc (ala planmaker) - that's the way
to go lmho. But only if you have the need (or really like graphs).
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 2:52:53 PM

Yes, it should be "Windows Explorer" instead of "File Explorer" on the PC.
I got terminologies mixed up with the Pocket PC. My mistake.

--

!