Your question

Have I killed my X800XT?

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 4, 2006 8:42:49 AM

It's been a while since I've attempted any modding (probably for the best) so bear with me if this seems sketchy or elementary.

I recently noticed my graphics card reached 108 degress whilst gaming so I thought I would buy a new HSF for my graphics card. I decided to buy a Zalman VF900-Cu.

It arrived yesterday and I set to work. I removed the ATI heatsink and fan and removed the RAM sinks without any problem. The new RAM sinks went on fine and so did the HSF, or so I thought.

Now when I turn my PC on I get corrupted graphics immediately. Instead of a black screen I get white and grey flashing squares which change as the PC boots up but I get nothing which is recognisable.

Have I killed my graphics card or might there be a way to rectify this problem?

The only things I can think are:

1) I might have put too much thermal grease on. I removed the HSF to make sure I hadn't accidentally trapped some foreign object underneath and I noticed that some of the grease had got on to one of the resistors (I think they're resistors) around the GPU.

2) I may have overtightened the HSF on to the card. I don't think it's this as it's possible to move the HSF slightly and so it's not clamped down ultra-tight. I followed the instructions which said to tighten each screw one rotation until the supports of the HSF touch the card. Is it possible to crush a GPU core? I presume so.

3) I didn't have any acetone to clean the surface of the GPU so I used a blade to lightly take the original grease off and then wiped it clean.

I'd appreciate any thoughts that anyone has on this as it's very frustrating.

More about : killed x800xt

October 4, 2006 10:23:12 AM

I have found a topic on a similar forum and someone had posted up pictures of their display and it was similar to what I'm seeing.

They guys on the forum there said he'd killed his card and crushing the CPU core was the probable death.

I'm going to try and re-seat the heatsink to see if there's any life left in it and then I'm going to buy a new card.

What's the best ATI AGP 8X card?
a b U Graphics card
October 4, 2006 11:08:17 AM

Check if the new RAM sinks have fallen off.
Make sure you connected the fan on the new heatsink.
Make sure you have connected the extra power connector to the card, if it has one.
Try a different video card to make sure the problem is isolated to this one.
Related resources
October 4, 2006 11:21:49 AM

I'd say 7600GT. By the way, I wouldn't have scraped off grease from GPU with a knife however "lightly" you do it. Wiping it off is safer IMO. Regarding your card, it's also possible that something broke off.
October 4, 2006 11:53:46 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

In answer to evongugg's questions:

I checked the RAM sinks, the fan and the extra power connector and they're all as they should be.

I tried a different graphics card and it booted up without a problem. I also tried this card in another machine and had the same issue so I'm sure the issue is due to the card.

In response to zeroyb:

I know what you mean about taking the grease off with a knife, now that I think about it I don't know what I was thinking. Is that the surface the top of the actual chip or is it a heatsink built around the chip like the older CPUs used to have?

I haven't checked to see if anything has broken off. I handled it gently (or as much as you can whilst taking a knife to it 8) ) but I'll have a look when I get home tonight. I'd imagine it's done for anyway if something broken off though, right?
October 6, 2006 3:27:40 PM

I killed a 9800 fitting a Artic cooler, even though I followed the instructions to the T. At the time they had changed the back tention spring on the artic cooler and I guess it was putting to much pressure on the GPU and cracked it at the same time there where a whole load of other people killing cards with the artic cooler, so it most likely was a disign flaw.

I have just fitted a Revoltec cooler to my X1900XT, this time I only tightend the screws finger tight, I left the screw driver in the tool box, anyway all went well and the little bugger is performing great.
October 8, 2006 6:25:22 PM

Quote:
I have found a topic on a similar forum and someone had posted up pictures of their display and it was similar to what I'm seeing.

They guys on the forum there said he'd killed his card and crushing the CPU core was the probable death.

I'm going to try and re-seat the heatsink to see if there's any life left in it and then I'm going to buy a new card.

What's the best ATI AGP 8X card?

buy the X800XTPE off ebay for under £100, amazing card, check out its performance in the Toms hardware card comparison tool

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics/charts.html

Up there with the 7800 GT in a few of them!
!