Sign in with
Your question

I need a motherboard, but which

Last response: in Overclocking
October 4, 2006 12:17:19 PM

Ive had problems overclocking my 805d, and its because the motherboard i have Asrock ConRoeXfire-eSata2 is jusxt a pile of turd. The bios is an AMI p1.40 and it has practicaly no voltage settings to change.
So i need a new mobo becuae i did buy this rig hoping that i would be able to overclck my cpu to at leat 3.6ghz, and im onoly getting 3ghz.

The only thing is i have a tight budget, presuming i sell my mobo for atleast £35 only a month old, on ebay. I only really want to spend a maximum of about £90 but i am prepared to spluit another £10-20 for value over performance, i was looking at the gigabyte GA-965P-S3.

But i need opinions on whats gonna be the best for my rig

-Pentium 805d
-Asrock ConRoeXfire-eSata2 (to be replaced)
-2gb G.Skill-pc2-5400 cas4 667mhz
-Connect 3d Ati radeon x1900 xt 512mb DDR3.
-Hiper HPU-4m580 580w psu
-Zalman cnps9500 heatsink and fan
-Maxtor diamondmax plus 17 160gb HDD
-Creative Sound Blaster X-fi xtreame music
-samsung SHs182d 18x18 DVD rewriter

Also please note that in a few months after christmas when i have a bit more cash, i could upgrade to the Dual Core Duo range and i will be getiing another hard drive for back up.[/list]

More about : motherboard

October 4, 2006 8:33:25 PM

No Intel or Asus Boards... try Giga-byte
October 6, 2006 11:13:24 PM

I'm not certain you're going to find the motherboard you need at that price. From what I've read, most boards in that price range aren't going to perform much better. However, if you can wait the Epox EP-5P945 PRO looks like it might be your least expensive bet. Even then you may be disappointed. Otherwise you might want to stick with the Gigabyte S3. If you're looking for a 4 Ghz 805D, you need to take note that they used very high-end motherboards and exotic cooling for that OC.

@greenjelly, I think you meant no Asus boards in his price range, correct?
Related resources
October 7, 2006 4:11:43 AM

No... I ment;

DONT BUY A ASUS AT ALL!
NEVER BUY FROM ASUS!
NOT AT ANY PRICE RANGE!
October 7, 2006 4:14:02 AM

Why?
October 7, 2006 4:28:54 AM

Quote:
No... I ment;

DONT BUY A ASUS AT ALL!
NEVER BUY FROM ASUS!
NOT AT ANY PRICE RANGE!

Why? I've always been very pleased with all the asus boards I've had over the years...
October 7, 2006 6:55:26 PM

Quote:
I got a bad product from them... plus the service is the worst Ive ever seen.

Sorry, but I always liked Gigabyte (as a company) more

Mike

You can get a bad product from any manufacturer as well as bad customer service (get used to it these days).

I'm sorry you're having issues with the P5B, but you bought the wrong board to overclock your C2D and some simple research and patience before buying would have informed you of that.
October 10, 2006 3:53:06 AM

The new bios has helped out allot. When I got my MoBo, the information about the P5B vrs the Deluxe versions wasnt available or I didnt find it. I got my chip as one of the initial shippings.
October 17, 2006 8:22:32 AM

Ok, i managed to find a little bit of a bargain on the Gigabyte DS3, which apparently is a favourate in overclocking, its just uinder £100. Paid for, just on my way to collect it.
October 17, 2006 1:05:48 PM

I got the DS3 yesterday, I got it installed (which isnt an easy task in a water cooled system) and just started to play with it... Its driving me nutz that everytime I try to set a Bios setting and it causes the system to fail posting, then got to remove the battery and hit the reset switch...

I am looking into this, as I am REALLY new to the giga-byte system right now.

Mike
October 18, 2006 12:25:36 AM

yer, i am having teething problems too, i just cant seem to get it to budge any higher than 2.67ghz even when fsb is 150mhz.
October 18, 2006 2:40:41 AM

Well from early experiance between the Asus and Gigabyte.

Asus offers Long Distance Telephone Techsupport, Gigabyte doesnt:( 
Giga-bytes Email support system is a Million times better then Asus, but dont expect immediate responses. Asus Telephone Techsupport is poor, and most of the time some guy answers, takes your name and number, promises a return phone call, and then you never get any return call.

Gigabytes motherboard Bios and physical features are great, but I havent been able to find a way to revert back to old bios settings without removing the battery and shorting the two reset pins. I contacted tech support, for a better solution. The Battery and reset pins are in the WORST position I have ever seen. Asus requires you to pull the plug or switch the PSU switch off after a failed post attempt to revert back to old settings.

The Asus has more MoBo fan connectors, though the Gigabyte has more SATA device connectors.

Gigabytes beefy looking Motherboard design definately enspires confidence that the board will take some abuse, and still provide consistant and solid results to your memory, CPU, and Addon Cards.

The Gigabyte NorthBridge is a pushpin pasive coper design allowing for a larger selection of add-on coolers.

The Asus P5B NorthBridge is a Aluminum clip based design that limits the choices of aftermarket cooling to a one product. Looking at the system design photos; I would be afraid of adding any coolers to the higher end Asus Mobo's. If you move your machine around, the clips that hold down the Asus NorthBridge configuration of the Asus with the third party heatsink attached is dangerous because the heatsink may shift and cause a short.

The Asus P5B ATA design is not right. The PCI/PCI-E card slots are either too close or too far from the back of the machine. I have experianced this with both Asus P5B mobo's I had gotten. The difference is small, and is noticable when you install the cards. It takes extra care when installing the MoBo, and it doesnt fix the problem completely. It doesnt make addon card installation impossible, just difficult. It also tends to cause the back of the cards to come out of the sockets when you physically move the case. So if you go to any lan parties, or move the machine from one end of the room to the other, you better open the case and make sure the cards are seated properly.

The Gigabyte Bios is MUCH better then the Asus P5B Basic, though GigaByte should have taken a class in organization, and they often use settings like +.1v instead of 1.9v! Gigabyte offers allot more control, and the physical design and/or bios of the motherboard allows greater more precise controls over the voltages and settings.

I havent gotten to Overclocking the GS3, and wont for at least a week, while I learn about the new board, and make sure everything is working good. The current board is running my memory at 800mhz, and fails to post when I try to run it at 1066, with what they call is a memory multiplier of 4 (yes, they say 4 and not 2). Corsair requires 2.2v on their 8500c5 memory, which turns out to be +.4v setting (see the difficulty). The Asus Mobo only offered a max 2.1v

The Asus Mobo seems to always offer very general, and not very flexible bios settings. The GS3 seems to be difficult to read and find things but very precise and extremely flexible when you understand it.

The Asus supported memory list is a small fraction of what Giga-byte officially supports.
!