Start Menu Keeps adding icons

November 21, 2004 5:57:02 PM

I'm not sure how to explain this but here goes. In the start menu in the
left hand column just below the items that I've "pinned" to the start menu
windows keeps adding programs that I've recently opened. Then it gets too
full and I have to manually remove all the programs. How can I stop windows
from doing this? I really don't want this.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 7:26:07 PM

Remove frequent programs list from the Start Menu

Right click the Start button | Properties | Customize button |
General tab | Under Programs | Set Number of programs on
Start menu to 0 (zero) | Click the Clear List button | OK |
Apply | OK

Number of programs on Start menu
[[Specifies the maximum number of programs to display in the most frequently
used programs list on the Start menu. You can increase or decrease the
number.]]

Clear List button
[[Click to delete the shortcuts displayed in the most frequently used
programs list on the Start menu. This does not delete the program from the
computer. The next time you run a program, its shortcut is displayed on the
Start menu.]]
---

If XP Pro, you can use the Group Policy editor.
Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |

Navigate to >>>
User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar
Remove frequent programs list from the Start Menu

Or...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList
DWORD
A value of 1 is enabled, and a value of 0 is disabled.
---

How To Prevent a Program from Being Displayed in the Most Frequently Used
Programs List in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q284198

Programs Removed from the Most Frequently Used Programs List Can Reappear
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282462

The "Clear List" Button in Start Menu Properties Does Not Become Unavailable
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323208

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:C6F153EC-13EE-45FD-A3DE-4318E1962C7A@microsoft.com,
John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I'm not sure how to explain this but here goes. In the start menu in
> the left hand column just below the items that I've "pinned" to the
> start menu windows keeps adding programs that I've recently opened.
> Then it gets too full and I have to manually remove all the programs.
> How can I stop windows from doing this? I really don't want this.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 8:17:56 PM

I'm sorry but with XP it's not possible to do this. :(
!