Lenovo Announces First Intel Clover Trail+ Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Finally an Intel CPU in a phone.
Can this run FULL (x86) Windows 8? It has 2 gigs RAM and 16gigs storage. - Let me assume the 16 gigs can be upgraded somehow.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
o_O the specs... whoa that's a full blow PC! I hope it doesn't run WP8, you would be left with like 4GB of space lol. Please excuse my noobness, is Atom ARM licensed? I thought it was x86, if its x86 was Jellybean rewritten? I like it, i wonder how it compares to the Note II! Looking forward to the hands on Toms!

adbat

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I miss phisical buttons (at least one), I miss turning my phone off if I need to and still having an alarm go off, I miss having a phone that is smaller than my hand.

x86 in a phone looks better with every new phone. I do not need 4g - 3g is fine for all my browsing and messaging. But 5.5" screen is to big - SIII is to big for me and my hands are not small.
To bad you do not see good hardware in 4.3" form factor any more.
And I would like to have a choice of a good phone with dual sim and physical qwerty - but nobody makes those things instead every one makes bigger screens and that is the only thing that is changing (becouse CPUs will always progress screen size does not have to any more)

adbat

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I miss phisical buttons (at least one), I miss turning my phone off if I need to and still having an alarm go off, I miss having a phone that is smaller than my hand.

x86 in a phone looks better with every new phone. I do not need 4g - 3g is fine for all my browsing and messaging. But 5.5" screen is to big - SIII is to big for me and my hands are not small.
To bad you do not see good hardware in 4.3" form factor any more.
And I would like to have a choice of a good phone with dual sim and physical qwerty - but nobody makes those things instead every one makes bigger screens and that is the only thing that is changing (becouse CPUs will always progress screen size does not have to any more)

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]o_O the specs... whoa that's a full blow PC! I hope it doesn't run WP8, you would be left with like 4GB of space lol. Please excuse my noobness, is Atom ARM licensed? I thought it was x86, if its x86 was Jellybean rewritten? I like it, i wonder how it compares to the Note II! Looking forward to the hands on Toms![/citation]If this actually is x86 based, than wheres the heatsink cause I never seen a x86 atom run with out a heatsink.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Azathoth[/nom]Are those four small screws I see on the back?If so, I assume that will mean the battery would be easily replaceable?[/citation]

once can hope.. though f it is removable one would hope tha tis just a mock up and the real phone will just have a snap in place panel, i don't want to carryu around a skrewdriver in addition to extra batteries (to be honest i already do carry around electronic tools at all times but i learned long ago i am not the norm)

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]Finally an Intel CPU in a phone.Can this run FULL (x86) Windows 8? It has 2 gigs RAM and 16gigs storage. - Let me assume the 16 gigs can be upgraded somehow.[/citation]

looks at phone...
weird... it has an intel CPU in it... and I have had this for almost a year now o_O

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Unless this is significantly cheaper than a Galaxy or an iPhone it'll flop.[/citation]
Even though it looks pretty good and is rivals them in features and is extremely competitive in performance and battery life?
Intel's first phone, the Xolo X900, sold for about $400 at launch, and currently sells for just above $250. It had inferior specs (to this), and was made by Lava, who's previous "most expensive phone" sold for under $200.
Still sold like hot cakes, and wasn't a bad job by a stretch.

[citation][nom]enewmen[/nom]Finally an Intel CPU in a phone.Can this run FULL (x86) Windows 8? It has 2 gigs RAM and 16gigs storage. - Let me assume the 16 gigs can be upgraded somehow.[/citation]
Finally? Google the Lava Xolo X900 and the Orange San Diego and the Motorola Razr i . Selling since April (Xolo).
It's running JB, can technically run Win 8 but you'll have to hack it or something before that i'm sure.

[citation][nom]siman0[/nom]wtf no 4g[/citation]
These countries don't have 4G, and there are some bands of 3G that are sort of like 3.7G or something, and i know this device will support them, because even Medfield did.

[citation][nom]rebel1280[/nom]o_O the specs... whoa that's a full blow PC! I hope it doesn't run WP8, you would be left with like 4GB of space lol. Please excuse my noobness, is Atom ARM licensed? I thought it was x86, if its x86 was Jellybean rewritten? I like it, i wonder how it compares to the Note II! Looking forward to the hands on Toms![/citation]
It runs Android 4.1.2, read the article. Atom is an x86 implementation, it's an SoC, and yes Intel's ported Android to run on x86, this was done early last year, so right now Gingerbread and ICS have x86 ports that are working. Also, since the updates are provided by Intel directly, when the update is available for one phone, everyone else gets it too. The Razr i was supposed to get JB sometime, maybe after this K900 thing goes live. I don't know, don't have the Xolo with me anymore, but when the Razr i came out i got the ICS update too.
For a comparison: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5770/lava-xolo-x900-review-the-first-intel-medfield-phone
of course, double those numbers for Clover Trail.

[citation][nom]amdwilliam1985[/nom]No mentioned of battery size, we need to aim for 2 days of normal usage battery life.please make it at least 3000mah.[/citation]
Medfield could pull off 2.5 days on a 1350mAh battery if used frugally, and easily a whole day with (my) normal use, with 3G and occasional Wi-Fi and gaming, etc.

[citation][nom]shafe88[/nom]If this actually is x86 based, than wheres the heatsink cause I never seen a x86 atom run with out a heatsink.[/citation]
What? you can fit a heatsink on the PCB itself, like Nvidia's had to do with the Tegra 4 (in fact, i assume everyone has to do that on ultra-mobile devices) . And anyway, look at the other existing Atom phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.