travelling with components!

Yarberger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Hi everyone

A strange question - I'm flying to the United States this weekend (Vegas Baby!) and will be picking up some components while I have the chance, as computer shops in my jurisdiction carry absolutely nothing of any real value (and US online retailers won't accept international credit cards).

My question is - will components like motherboards, cpus, gpus, etc fry if taken through airport security scanners?

Just checking!

Hi everyone

A strange question - I'm flying to the United States this weekend (Vegas Baby!) and will be picking up some components while I have the chance, as computer shops in my jurisdiction carry absolutely nothing of any real value (and US online retailers won't accept international credit cards).

My question is - will components like motherboards, cpus, gpus, etc fry if taken through airport security scanners?

Just checking!

Your new computer components should be fine. They are not powered up going through scanners. If you win a large sum of cash, you do have to declare it through customs though :D

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I doubt you'll have any money left to buy computer components :wink:

Buy them before you gamble...

But the real question, yeah, they should be fine, since most of them are EMI shielded... I'm not sure how that would affect the scanners themselves though, that might raise an alarm, they might hack your luggage to pieces, and there goes your brand new mobo.

Might want to check with TSA first to see... but I doubt anything will happen. Laptops go through checks all the time... (maybe thats why the batteries explode!!!)

Yarberger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks for the advice!

You're spot on with that one - it's off to the shops pronto, and thereafter whatever I haven't been fleeced on in terms of components will be lost to Blackjack Man and his loaded deck. lol

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Check with US customes to make sure you don't have to do anything special to get them out, and it may be a good idea to check with your customs to make sure you don't have to do anything special to get them in. (You didn't say where you are from.)

Our customs guidelines can be strange and difficult to understand who the hell would even come up with some of them.

you can visit http://www.customs.gov/ and look around. If you don't find what you want, there is a place there to e-mail a question. They say it should take about 3 days to respond. (So count on a week.:) )

If you have any layovers in LA, look for a Fry's electronics. They have some great combo deals, where the motherboard is almost free. Don't know if they have a Fry's in Vegas.

If you know the salesperson, ask to upgrade the free MB to a higher performance ASUS or ABIT for like $20. Worked for me.

Yarberger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks to you both for that!

Funnily enough, I spotted the fact that Vegas has a Fry's store, and that immediately became my shopping target. I contacted the store yesterday and the only thing of interest to me that they don't have in stock is the PCP&C psu I was eyeballing.

I'll finally get my motherboard though!

Thanks to you both for that!

Funnily enough, I spotted the fact that Vegas has a Fry's store, and that immediately became my shopping target. I contacted the store yesterday and the only thing of interest to me that they don't have in stock is the PCP&C psu I was eyeballing.

I'll finally get my motherboard though!

I used to hang around the Fry's Service Center a lot. Take a glance at the women hauling their PCs up to the counter asking, "It just stopped working...dead. It's really broke bad". Sixty-five to reload windows and remove the 19,652 instances of spyware detected! LOL! Hey, in Vegas it'll be the Showgirls hauling their computers in there!!! What time will you be there! I'll meet 'ya! :tongue:

Yarberger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
You read my mind.

I'll be sure to say a big hello to Jade, Candy and Jasmine when I see them chatting in vain with the drooling Fry's representative.

I might well apply for a job.

You read my mind.

I'll be sure to say a big hello to Jade, Candy and Jasmine when I see them chatting in vain with the drooling Fry's representative.

I might well apply for a job.

I'll print up a boatload of 'hunerds. They won't call us the tipmeisters for nothin'. Yeah, it's minimum wage, but as a technician you get dibs on the sales girls who use cleevage to pad their paychecks.

tb28w3

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Hey... Check out this site. www.frys-electronics-ads.com They have new specials, old weekly specials etc.... I go to Fry's in Houston all the time, and always check the site first. Just be warned, if you go to their website and price something, they don't honor the online price in the store. I just ordered a new mobo Monday that was online for 19.99 and at the store it was 49.99. They wouldn't honor it. Make sure you get in store price, and this website has most of the instore specials

Yarberger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks a lot for this - very useful. Also, cheers for the heads-up on pricing - I'll go in with a very open mind.

Although I'm not suggesting that money is no object here, my main priority is actually getting hold of the products. Here in Bermuda they don't sell this stuff save by lengthy and expensive special order - the recent example being the ATI Radeon X1900XTX, which was offered to me for the 'deal' price of $649 (and it would take 3-4 weeks to get here)...

Still, I won't be buying a motherboard in Fry's for $400 whatever they say about it!

eofu

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Hi everyone

Just checking!

I know this might sound stupid which probably is. I still would be scared to go through a scanner. Instead can you mail it to your self? Dose UPS and Fedex scan their shipments for over seas?

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Thanks for the advice!

You're spot on with that one - it's off to the shops pronto, and thereafter whatever I haven't been fleeced on in terms of components will be lost to Blackjack Man and his loaded deck. lol

LOL; if I were you, I'd spend no more than $5. If you win something, keep going, but don't waste your money if you're losing. Quit while you're ahead :lol:

Yarberger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Hi there

I'm back, and can't believe how big the Fry's store was! I could have pitched a tent and stayed inside for days...

You were quite right on the pricing - the in-store prices were quite different from those advertised on the website. For example, the Asus P5W DH Deluxe board was $299.99.

That being said, the convenience factor of being able to find all these components in one place (and look before you buy) made the whole thing more than worthwhile.

Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope that all the components work. :eek: