Sign in with
Your question

What is your expectation for micro-ATX mobos to oc Conroe?

Last response: in Overclocking
October 4, 2006 2:23:39 PM

The market doesn't currently offer a rich set of choices for Conroe owners who want to overclock this CPU on a micro-ATX motherboard.

Given that this CPU has such potential, do you think that the major motherboard manufacturers will be rolling out choices that have reasonable overclocking capabilities in a micro-atx format? To what extent do you expect?

What have been the historical trends regarding oc'ing on u-atx, and have there been significant exceptions?

Ed
October 4, 2006 2:47:09 PM

not sure about micro atx and conroe, but i have a biostar with an amd opteron 148 i can't get it past 2.6ghz.
October 5, 2006 1:33:01 PM

For Conroe there is the Asus P5B-VM with a bios that doesn't offer PCI lock and I've heard is limited to 1144 (286) FSB which is just a 7% overclock. People have their fingers crossed that there will be a bios revision that fixes this. Anybody have inside info on this?

Asus's budget line, ASRock, (do I have that fact right?) offers the 775i65G which will take the FSB up to 300 - a 12.5% overclock.

Am I missing any others?

The E6300 seems comfortably capable of 50-70% (2.8-3.15 GHz), with some reports of aircooled oc's as high as the 90% range (3.58 GHz). It would be a shame to not be able to tap that potential in a micro-atx.

I'd pay a premium price for a micro-atx that has all of the oc'ing abilities of the P5B or the 965P-DS3.

What do you think the next 3-4 months hold?
Related resources
October 5, 2006 1:39:23 PM

i guess all you can do is hope for a 965 or 975 board and a decent bios. there should be a least one good one coming, but i wouldn't expect full atx capability. the biostar bios was almost identical to the lanparty bios but for amd.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 5, 2006 2:19:47 PM

The other asrock (775dual VSTA) will post and get into windows at 300, but is not prime stable, only prime stable at 285, even if RAM is effectively underclocked. Could be a voltage issue, Vcore drops about 0.015 V under load. 1.3>1.285 approx, it is a consistent drop but it could be measurement error.

I'd prefer to get a board that had a decent number of PCI slots that can actually be used. The specifications support 5, but two is the normal number, and generally 1 is shadowed by the GPU, which if you want you GPU to actually have an air supply also cuts off the second one as well.
October 5, 2006 3:00:13 PM

Yes, there are certainly advantages to full ATX. Yet for some, the smaller size really is key. And, if certain things like gigabit and esata are built in (like in the P5B-VM), then the need for regular pci slots is reduced.

Anybody have insight into what's rolling down the pipeline but not yet released?
!