Upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro

I have a CD and license for XP Pro. I have fully patched XP Home including
SP2. When I put in the XP Pro CD and it autostarts. I get a message telling
me that the version on my PC is newer than the one on the CD. Is there a way
around this to continue with my install without losing all my settings.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Unless SP2 is integrated into XP Pro, then one cannot
upgrade an existing XP Home w/SP2 installation using
a non-SP2 version of XP Pro. What you need to do is
create a SP2 "slipstreamed" version of XP Pro, then use
the new CD to upgrade over XP Home w/SP2.

You have two options:

1. Uninstall SP2 from XP Home, then upgrade to XP Pro.

or

2. Create a SP2 slipstreamed version of XP Pro (preferred)
and use the new XP Pro w/SP2 to upgrade.

Either one of the following utilities makes slipstreaming
(integrating) SP2 into Windows XP a breeze:

Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

Information on AutoStreamer 1.0
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=188337&st=0&#entry245

Windows XP Service Pack 2 - Direct Download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875350&Product=windowsxpsp2

Note: If you have a preinstalled version of Windows XP Home with SP2,
then you cannot uninstall SP2. You'll have to make a XP Pro CD with SP2
slipstreamed in order to upgrade over your existing XP Home installation.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"huck0574" wrote:

| I have a CD and license for XP Pro. I have fully patched XP Home including
| SP2. When I put in the XP Pro CD and it autostarts. I get a message telling
| me that the version on my PC is newer than the one on the CD. Is there a way
| around this to continue with my install without losing all my settings.
|
| Thanks, in advance, for your help!

One really shouldnt even upgrade home to pro,as microsoft puts it,one
should boot to xp cd,recovery,type:DiskPart In DiskPart,delete the partition
(xp home),create one,then press Esc Then type:FORMAT C: /FS:ntfs When
thru type:EXIT Restart,then reboot to xp cd,this time select,install xp.A
clean
install of pro is the only way to go.

In news:67777774-8218-4593-AE06-14387A116381@microsoft.com,
huck0574 <huck0574@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

>I have a CD and license for XP Pro. I have fully patched XP
> including SP2. When I put in the XP Pro CD and it autostarts.
> I get
> a message telling me that the version on my PC is newer than
> the one
> on the CD. Is there a way around this to continue with my
> install
> without losing all my settings.

Because you have SP2 installed and your XP Professional CD is
without it, your Professional CD is an older version than what's
installed.

You have two choices:

1. Uninstall SP2, do the upgrade, then reinstall SP2.

2. Create a slipstreamed version of XP Professional, including
SP2, and use it. See http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262

Please reply to the newsgroup

Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote:

> One really shouldnt even upgrade home to pro,as microsoft puts it,one
> should boot to xp cd,recovery,type:DiskPart In DiskPart,delete the partition
> (xp home),create one,then press Esc Then type:FORMAT C: /FS:ntfs When
> thru type:EXIT Restart,then reboot to xp cd,this time select,install xp.A
>clean
> install of pro is the only way to go.

Balderdash. Hogwash. Malarkey.

Upgrades to Windows XP can be done quite successfully, and a vast
number of users have done so. And the upgrade from Home to Pro is
perhaps the simplest and most problem free of any operating system
upgrade in recent years.

Why put the user to the totally unnecessary, and very time consuming,
tasks of backing up all of his data, locating the original install
disks for all his applications, reinstalling all of these apps after
the format and clean install, and then restoring the data from
backups? All this does is to turn a perhaps two hour task into a 2 or
3 day workout, and for no good reason.

And if the upgrade does go poorly (and there are some instances where
this does happen) then the option to reformat and reinstall everything
is still there.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Ron Martell wrote:
> Andrew E. <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote:
>
>> One really shouldnt even upgrade home to pro,as microsoft puts
>> it,one should boot to xp cd,recovery,type:DiskPart In
>> DiskPart,delete the partition (xp home),create one,then press Esc
>> Then type:FORMAT C: /FS:ntfs When
>> thru type:EXIT Restart,then reboot to xp cd,this time
>> select,install xp.A clean
>> install of pro is the only way to go.
>>

> Balderdash. Hogwash. Malarkey.
>
> Upgrades to Windows XP can be done quite successfully, and a vast
> number of users have done so. And the upgrade from Home to Pro is
> perhaps the simplest and most problem free of any operating system
> upgrade in recent years.
>
> Why put the user to the totally unnecessary, and very time consuming,
> tasks of backing up all of his data, locating the original install
> disks for all his applications, reinstalling all of these apps after
> the format and clean install, and then restoring the data from
> backups? All this does is to turn a perhaps two hour task into a 2 or
> 3 day workout, and for no good reason.
>
> And if the upgrade does go poorly (and there are some instances where
> this does happen) then the option to reformat and reinstall everything
> is still there.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Because, my dear Ronald, he is Andrew the Eejit and, therefore, genetically
programmed to spout inane garbage. He can't help it, it's some kind of
innate mental deficiency. I used to email him and correct him, but he just
used to respond by quoting meaningless KB articles that had absolutely
nothing to do with the issue being debated, so I gave up.
on salads.

steven

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 19:50:55 -0700, "Ken Blake"
<kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>In news:67777774-8218-4593-AE06-14387A116381@microsoft.com,
>huck0574 <huck0574@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
>>I have a CD and license for XP Pro. I have fully patched XP
>> including SP2. When I put in the XP Pro CD and it autostarts.
>> I get
>> a message telling me that the version on my PC is newer than
>> the one
>> on the CD. Is there a way around this to continue with my
>> install
>> without losing all my settings.
>

>Because you have SP2 installed and your XP Professional CD is
>without it, your Professional CD is an older version than what's
>installed.
>
>You have two choices:
>
>1. Uninstall SP2, do the upgrade, then reinstall SP2.
>
>2. Create a slipstreamed version of XP Professional, including
>SP2, and use it. See http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7262

It took me several days to upgrade from XP home to XP Pro with
a brand new HP computer.

The problem was that 3 drivers (video, sound, and modem) that were
only weeks old were too old. The installation froze up each time I
tried it.

I had to download the latest drivers from HP's site.