How can you prevent windows 7 from letting you accidently moving a fol

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjh2020

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
our emloyees click on a folder to highlite it and at times it gets moved into the folder below it.
How do we stop the from happing?

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Agree with alikum.

Obviously it is a user fault. I would try reducing the mouse's sensitivity, as well as use bigger folders or different view (eg. thumbnails instead of details).

If all else fails I would try changing the user...

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008

LOL, like your sense of humour =)

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
The number of people I have seen grab a folder and drop it somewhere else and then demand we find it is staggering.... You can set user rights such that they cannot write to many locations so it essentially limits how far you have to look. Otherwise I dont know how to prevent it - other than swapping out the user - oh the dreams....

The only way to deal with this is to train the users. The most important thing is to stress the important of catching it when it happens - if the user pays attention and realizes s/he's just lost a folder this way it's easy to get it back again using "undo".

hjh2020

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009

Question:

How to prevent users from moving sub folders in a shared folder.

Every so often one of them manages to slip with the mouse when they try to click on a folder and the folder just "disappears". What happens is of course that they managed to move the folder into another folder and now they can't find it and everyone panics and starts searching for the guy with the backup tapes.

Now then, here's the question. Can permissions be set in such a way that the users can be prevented from moving (deleting) folders at one level but still have permissions to read/write/change/execute/move and delete any objects in child folders (pretty much full access

I found the answer from Techrepublic.com

Anyway there is a way to fix this issue and thats with special permissions.

I suggest that you create a new folder to test this on first........

If you go to the folder properties and select advanced. Remove the tick from inherit the ermission entries from the parent and you will be asked if you want to copy existing permissions, remove or cancel.
If you select remove then ALL of the existing permission entries will disappear. Next click ADD and type in/find the group that you want to have access to the folder.
In the permissions entries list you want Traverse folder, list folders, create files and create folders. This should give your users the required access.
This is happening in some of our Medical software programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS