Asus P5B (non-deluxe) bios

ghetom

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Ive got a P5B (non-deluxe), and Ive downloaded bios 509, and I cant even get a stable overclock of 3GHz on my E6600. CPU-Z says the Vcore is 1.37 (i dont want to push it any further), my RAM is Geil 800MHz CL4 RAM, running in 1:1 at its rated voltage so thats definately not the problem. What am I doing wrong?
Is it something Im doing or is this BIOS plain rubbish - Im sure it was stable at 3.15 on the original bios. If it is the bios does anyone know what the best bios version is (and could they post a link to a download please?)
Thanks

shalpin

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
ghetom

I hear ya. I have the same motherboard and the Vanilla P5B is total crap for overclocking. I put a complaint into ASUS but I'm sure they will file that very low priority. Its a shame I dindn't go with my instincts and grap the Gigabyte DS3. Its cheaper than the P5B and has all the overclocking potential of the P5B deluxe.

ghetom

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Yep I wish Id got the DS3. Ill try and sell this I think - pity the fool who buys it tho! Still is there anyway I can go back to an older bios? the original worked OK but this new version is rubbish - even if I can up the FSB to 650 (in thoery) thats no use if I cant even have it stable at 300!

ghetom

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Well I tried to use the BIOS on the CD it came with, and it says the bios is older than the board and wont let me install it, and the same with all the other bioses ive tried

ghetom

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Its all ok now :) I did something incredibly noobish - i had the RAM in the wrong slots. what an idiot!. nevermind. It still doesnt overclock amazingly tho. What are peoples thoughts on FSB:RAM ratio? should I go 1:1 at 700 or overclock the RAM a bit and run 4:5 at 875 Mhz? I reckon 1:1 would be best but not sure. ne1?