Need help settign up security on home network.

Viicloud10

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Ok i have a home network of 4 computers. they all work fine, and i can share files fine back forth between any.

Now what i would liek to do is set up passwords for accessing a computer.

For example: I am on computer A. I want to access computer B files from computer A. When i go to access computer B's files i want a password prompt to come up. So that i can access files but at my own discretion of who else can do it.

thanks in advance.

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Disable the Guest account on your computers.
You should then get prompted for username/password.

Simply enter a username and password local to that PC

Guest Account on Windows XP

...... or

Set the permission on all shares to only grant access to specific users. When you try to connect with a user that is not allowed access a username/password prompt should pop up

XP and filesharing

alanparrott

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2002
Ok i have a home network of 4 computers. they all work fine, and i can share files fine back forth between any.

Now what i would liek to do is set up passwords for accessing a computer.

For example: I am on computer A. I want to access computer B files from computer A. When i go to access computer B's files i want a password prompt to come up. So that i can access files but at my own discretion of who else can do it.

thanks in advance.

Basically I want to do the same as above. I have several XP Pro Pc's networked fot Web Access and File sharing, but can not figure out how to password protect the File Shares. It seems all or nothing.

I would have though it would be in the Permissions tab but I cant see it!

Cheers

Alan

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
In XP pro just open mycomputer, go to tools>folder options, go to view, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list, and uncheck use simple filesharing.
You will now have a permissions option on your shares and a security tab on all your folders.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Just set a password on the account of the user(s) in the folders permissions/security and make sure the same user(s) and passwords are not on the other computers connecting to that share.

alanparrott

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2002
Folken thanks for replying again. I think the answer is I must be thick!

I thought I was very PC literate and moderately succesful in setting up LANS & WLANS etc, but I am obviously missing a trick here.

As I said I have a wired & wireless LAN set up in the normal MSHOME type way with certain folders on each shared, which works fine. However I can not seem to set up a logon for LAN/Foldershare. Either I get in or I don't!

I do NOT have simple set on.

I have now set up a new user on 2 PCs, same name different passwords. It makes no difference, other than now on one client the 'Entire Network' folder under the new user has dissapeared, still there on the original Admin user.

Sorry to be a pain, but if you have the time, could you just explain for say, 2 PCs, what I set up where. i.e. Users, permisions etc, you can be as blunt as you like :oops:

A point occurs, am I supposed to have a workgroups or domain setup or both? Since doing the above I seem to have Workgroup appear in the 2 FileManagers wheras before it was just showing as MSHOME.

Many thanks

Alan