Vista + DX10 + Less?

soupnatizzle

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
in my book this is a good thing, clears things up for me, i dont have the pressure of waiting on a dx10 card if vista is that terrible with games.

losergamer04

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I do not remember where I read it, but DX10 I do not think is being released with Vista; I think it is showing up later. From what I can tell, Vista is like every other OS in that the newer ones always need more power. From the benchmarking, it is not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I can not talk about everyday type stuff, I can not seem to get a key to test drive Vista myself.
The one good thing that I am getting about DX10 cards is they will own DX9 games. And I think it is because of the new programable shaders that are part of the specification. (Off on my own question, does that imply that the new class of shaders will be able to act as a vertex or pixle shading unit?)
I stuck with 98 as long as I could and I think I am going to do the same with XP. With the current hardware out, XP has very little overhead. Not to say that the new C2Q or DDR3 or DX10 won't fix that issue in Vista. The first year for Microsoft never seems to go well anyway; there are alway security and driver issues.

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
<shrug> Well, seeing as I won't build a new system until spring anyway, I'll wait for reviews of the shipping DX10 cards and production consumer Vista. I'll keep my fingers crossed though so I don't have to buy a AMD 6000+ and the fastest GPU ever made. If I had that much cash laying around I'd rather pay off my car.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Am I wrong then to conclude that DX10 functionality wont REQUIRE Vista then?

Yes, DirectX 10 needs the new model of video drivers debuting in Vista.

Agreed. To even better DX10, the Vista package that also includes the new redesigned Aero graphics engine, just turns up the possiblities of what DX10 will put out and more.

Gneisenau

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
...... The first year for Microsoft never seems to go well anyway; there are alway security and driver issues.

Agreed. I think I will be waiting until at least SP1 to look at Vista unless I see a truely compelling reason to move up. I want to give MS time to work real world bugs out first.

Avalanche

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2004
I do not know about the release but I do know that RC1 is using DX10 in it.

The biggest Problem I have running games on RC1 is PunkBuster does not recognize to OS and kick me out of BF2. Then again I have not loaded all my games on Vista yet. I am using the 96.33 Driver. In other programs like AutoCad 2007 I have driver disconnect issues and then reconnects. (Something like that. I don't remember exactly what it said) I would think BF2 would be more intense than AutoCad but I have more Video issuse with Cad than games.

Personally I can not wait until the release comes out. I for one will be getting it...

G

It has been said that DX10 might not ship with Vista and be maid a seperate download, can't seam to find the link but I know it's a possibility.

Buying DX10 cards TODAY to play DX10 title is a it foolish IMO. Because they're wont be game that have full Dx10 support before quite a while and when they do come out, R600 and G80 probably will be 1 gen or 2 gen old. That's based on DX9 history..

All that being said, I am sure Crysis will have really nice effects based on certain parts of the Dx10. Plus as mentionned, these card should be DX9 powerhouse and you might be able to offload some physics, stream processing etc ,etc, so in the end they should be quite nice if you have the $$$

I just see advertising them as DX10 like marketing for the moment...

TRENDING THREADS