Sign in with
Your question

P5B... R.I.P. - condolences accepted here

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
October 4, 2006 7:02:28 PM

In order to get to the root of the USB problems I decided to update the BIOS after I saw the version I had was something like 0209. Although the Auto Update reported that there was no suitable ROM available, the Asus website listed the latest BIOS as version 0509. I decided to give it a go, downloaded the file, used the Windows Updater, which reported something like "Good ROM, press here to flash", which I did, and it did without error. Reboot, and guess what, a black screen. No Beep, no picture. Ok, fine, I thought, go back to the old version, which I had saved. According to the manual you just pop it on a floppy names as P5B.ROM and off you. Or you put it on a USB stick. Or you simply put the Asus CD in, where there's some version as well. But, absolutely nothing happens! The CD drive doesn't spin, neither does the floppy, nor does the USB stick show any sign of life. I did clear the CMOS by taking out the battery and moving the jumper.

Anyone got any ideas what I might try tonight, before I pack the whole d*** thing back in it's box and send it back?

More about : p5b condolences accepted

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2006 7:07:04 PM

Quote:
In order to get to the root of the USB problems I decided to update the BIOS after I saw the version I had was something like 0209. Although the Auto Update reported that there was no suitable ROM available, the Asus website listed the latest BIOS as version 0509. I decided to give it a go, downloaded the file, used the Windows Updater, which reported something like "Good ROM, press here to flash", which I did, and it did without error. Reboot, and guess what, a black screen. No Beep, no picture. Ok, fine, I thought, go back to the old version, which I had saved. According to the manual you just pop it on a floppy names as P5B.ROM and off you. Or you put it on a USB stick. Or you simply put the Asus CD in, where there's some version as well. But, absolutely nothing happens! The CD drive doesn't spin, neither does the floppy, nor does the USB stick show any sign of life. I did clear the CMOS by taking out the battery and moving the jumper.

Anyone got any ideas what I might try tonight, before I pack the whole d*** thing back in it's box and send it back?

Load the BIOS file you want to your desktop. Open ASUS UPDATE UTILITY. Select 'choose file from a specific location'. Choose the BIOS file on your desktop and update your BIOS. All in your manual.
October 4, 2006 7:09:06 PM

There IS no desktop anymore! The computer is DEAD, it's and ex-PC!
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 4, 2006 7:10:02 PM

Quote:
There IS no desktop anymore! The computer is DEAD, it's and ex-PC!

LOL! RIP!
October 4, 2006 7:26:32 PM

I've just tried something: I took the memory out to see if I'd get some beeps. And indeed, it's the long-short-short beeps, which I got yesterday when the whole trouble started. So now I assume that the BIOS update worked alright, but that this, the NEWER version doesn't like my RAM, when the earlier version reject the RAM I tried first yesterday!

Back to square one! :x :(  :cry: 
October 4, 2006 8:08:29 PM

You might have a corrupted BIOS or in your case the wrong BIOS. I had to deal with this on several occasions. Here's a suggestion...go to http://www.biosman.com/biosrecovery.html first and read about the recovery process.

On my system, I had to get a PCI video card and a DOS boot disk that had an autoexec.bat file that would launch the BIOS update program to load the original BIOS file. You might be able to do without the PCI card but you won't see anything. This is because it doesn't understand AGP/PCI-Ex in its current condition. So make sure there's absolutely no activity before rebooting. Once that was done the computer's BIOS was restored with the original bios and it booted again.

Give it a try, but read the link first because of the different BIOS companies.
October 4, 2006 8:23:38 PM

sounds like my life with Asus...

Why do you think I bad mouth them at every chance I get... People have to stop buying their crappy products, and until they do, you will get screwed.

My old giga-byte had 2 Bios chips on it... One for the original version of the bios. It was a ROM, and 1 was a PROM.. There was no problems then.

Sounds like 509 "memory fixes", seemed to fix your PC making it into a great doorstop.

Now, your job my young apprentice, is to share your JOY over the Asus products to every thread and every post possible. Save people from a company that has some major quality control issues.

BTW, Asus SELLS replacement BIOS chips for $20 plus shipping... They screw it, and then they make you pay for it... over and over again...

Or you could take out your MoBo, ship it back to Asus ($10+ for shipping) then wait the 2 weeks for a replacement to arive back...

Enjoy your brand new ASUS MoBo...
October 4, 2006 8:33:09 PM

Master, the past 3 or 4 Asus mobos I had served me well, and since I read about memory issues like this one here with Gigabyte, who I also like, I thought "Nahh better the devil you know".
I'd love to badmouth ASUS on their forum, but of course you can't even log into their forums "due to high access numbers". So let's just forget about them and move on. I'll send it back, hopefully get my money back, and if not at least a new board. Which will go on sale on eBay.

So to the shop tomorrow then. Abit or Gigabyte, that's the question? Oh yeah, i dont want to pay much more than £100.

Quote:
sounds like my life with Asus...

Why do you think I bad mouth them at every chance I get... People have to stop buying their crappy products, and until they do, you will get screwed.

My old giga-byte had 2 Bios chips on it... One for the original version of the bios. It was a ROM, and 1 was a PROM.. There was no problems then.

Sounds like 509 "memory fixes", seemed to fix your PC making it into a great doorstop.

Now, your job my young apprentice, is to share your JOY over the Asus products to every thread and every post possible. Save people from a company that has some major quality control issues.

BTW, Asus SELLS replacement BIOS chips for $20 plus shipping... They screw it, and then they make you pay for it... over and over again...

Or you could take out your MoBo, ship it back to Asus ($10+ for shipping) then wait the 2 weeks for a replacement to arive back...

Enjoy your brand new ASUS MoBo...
October 4, 2006 8:41:48 PM

Does your ram require 2.4v or some other uncommon value? It could be the new bios defaults to some voltage or timing setting that your ram can't handle. In which you might need to get/borrow any cheap dimm with more mainstream characteristics in order to get into bios and set it to something your ram can live with.

You might want to list your exact components (cpu, mobo, ram, vid, psu).
October 4, 2006 8:49:46 PM

That might well be, but that info is not provided on the card that came with the RAM. But since I don't know anyone who could borrow me any RAM I'm stuffed anyway.

Here's my stuff:
E6400
Asus P5B
2GB (2x 1GB) OCZ 800MHz DDR2
7900GTX
480W Tagan

Quote:
Does your ram require 2.4v or some other uncommon value? It could be the new bios defaults to some voltage or timing setting that your ram can't handle. In which you might need to get/borrow any cheap dimm with more mainstream characteristics in order to get into bios and set it to something your ram can live with.

You might want to list your exact components (cpu, mobo, ram, vid, psu).
October 4, 2006 8:51:21 PM

I just found out the OCZ DDR2 RAM needs 2.0 volts.
October 4, 2006 9:00:45 PM

it has been well known and stated that OCZ has compatibility issues with Asus motherboards, regardless of whether your stock voltage is off
October 4, 2006 9:11:08 PM

Not that I would have known about this. I DID check the forums for suitable motherboards, but of course people always write in with their problems, so it's virtually impossible to tell which motherboard has the least compatability issues.

Quote:
it has been well known and stated that OCZ has compatibility issues with Asus motherboards, regardless of whether your stock voltage is off
October 4, 2006 9:33:05 PM

OK saw you mentioned £100 so assume you are in UK.

If you can stand the humiliation ASUS have a place in Milton Keynes. Their fabulous Windows BIOS updater killed my A7V8X and I know I'll never trust a windows flash utility again.

I rang up and they emailed me a form for a replacement BIOS chip for a fiver, which was pretty cheap. The humiliation comes down to the fact that the tech support chap was really narky and had a right old moan at me. Fact is their 'friendly' utility is dodgy and shouldn't be installed.

Address: Unit 5 Vermont Place, Michigan Drive, Tongwell, Milton Keynes. MK15 8JA
Tel #: 0870-120-8340

Worth a try, hope it helps, let us know how you get on.
Karl
October 4, 2006 10:37:04 PM

I think it's a memory issue now more than a BIOS issue. And really I would want to run the latest BIOS. Even IF I get memory to make the board run I still don't know if the USB issues I have described in another post on here would have gone away or not. I think I'll be better off with a different board altogether and accept this episode as a lesson. Although I'm not sure what I've learnt apart from DON'T BUY ASUS BOARDS.
October 5, 2006 12:39:28 AM

Yeah, Asus's Windows and auto bios updater is a bad idea. I always do mine from a dos booted floppy to insure no problems.

Other than that, Asus has treated me fine.
October 5, 2006 9:22:32 AM

In my opinion it's not the BIOS flash that went wrong but that my memory is incompatible with the newer ROM version, when it did work alright with the old ROM. But I can't be ar*sed to get yet another pair of RAM (it would the the third I'll try out) only to probably still have the USB problems I had earlier yesterday. The board's a goner! Good riddance to it, I say!

Quote:
Yeah, Asus's Windows and auto bios updater is a bad idea. I always do mine from a dos booted floppy to insure no problems.

October 5, 2006 2:11:02 PM

Sorry, last time I didn't have enough time to finish out properly.

Yes in this case, it does sound very much like memory issues. Though I work for a computer company that deals a lot with Asus brand parts and the consensus is to not use the automatic bios updater. It tends to frell things up still.

Other than that, we've had little trouble with the boards apart from the odd one being dead or flakey in the box, but you get that with all brands really.
October 5, 2006 2:41:47 PM

Thru the years I had a few Asus Boards
A8N5X
A8R32-MVP
P5N32-SLI
P5W DH Board,

I had no problems whatsoever with them, memory issues is what Im seeing a lot lately, guess i miss the good ol days of PC133 memory. Now we have so many speeds, timings, voltages that i can't keep the pace.
March 6, 2009 2:59:42 AM

i had the USB problem as well but i called there support line on there site and they told me how to fix the usb problem this is how you do it

start / settings / control panel / system / hardware(tab) / device manager / look at the bottom for universal serial bus controllers click the [+] box then
delete the (host controller) and all (USB root Hubs)

note you will lose all USB function when you do this so if you have a USB mouse lol it will stop working

but fear not! lol just restart your computer it will figure out that the drivers are missing it will auto update them (this may take a few min for it to complete) and then it will start to recognize your devices then they will all work again!

this is simple easy and it works for most USB problems
hope this helps ^^
March 20, 2009 8:58:54 PM

Naujoks said:
In my opinion it's not the BIOS flash that went wrong but that my memory is incompatible with the newer ROM version, when it did work alright with the old ROM. But I can't be ar*sed to get yet another pair of RAM (it would the the third I'll try out) only to probably still have the USB problems I had earlier yesterday. The board's a goner! Good riddance to it, I say!

Quote:

I would think with all the time and effort spent dealing with your issue, You would see it to a conclusion. I, too have had very good luck with many asus boards, even to consider them amongst the best. Their tech support leaves a lot to be desired. Please, finish up and send us a happy ending.
!