Asus Onboard lan problem

wescrock

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
so... The back of my ethernet is showing orange and red lights... im pretty sure thats bad... no packets are being sent and none are recieving... I know the network is working because my room mates are on it. I have tried reinstalling the drivers but they just stop installing about half way through... its wierd... i did a system restore... no good... im going to reformat an hope that that may fix it... other than that... any sudjestions? RMA? thanks
wes

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Try deleting card from Device Manager and then booting into Safe Mode with Networking.

Windows should redetect the card. If not try the driver installation again from Safe Mode.

What is the model of your mobo ?

Regards,

wescrock

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
ok... its an asus A8n-SLI... now.... this is a dumb question... how do i boot into safe mode with this mobo... i havnt been able to figure it out...

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
You can get into safemode by rebooting your PC and hitting F8 before the Windows logo appears.

Try rebooting the PC and then press the F8 key every second or so (after the CPU and memory posts have come up)

wescrock

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
f8 brings me to boot menu correct? (at least thats what mine does...) and it just asks what drive i want it to boot to (HD1,HD2,CD1,DVD1, and so on) i never have seen a boot to safe mode option

hawkstar

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Yes it is annoying that while for years F8 has been the key to select a Windows boot menu that includes the option of safe mode, many mobo manufacturers have since chosen F8 to be a drive boot menu.

TIP

After pressing F8 and getting the drive boot menu, select your Hard Drive press Return and immediately press F8 again, that should give you the Windows boot menu you need.