mphelps

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
It depends on what you do. I watch dvds and play games that support widescreen resolutions. I also like running multiple programs at a time, which is helped by added desktop realestate. I bought a dell 2007fpw, and I absolutely love it. But, a 20'' full screen actually has a larger screen area. Bottom line, if you don't have a specific reason why you need wide screen, full screen will probably serve you better. Just my opinion.

xarbon

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I definitely need the desktop space as I do video editing. Currently I have two monitors set up with dual DVI. So what are the characteristics and specifics of a good lcd widescreen? I plan on going to frys today on the way home form work, wanted to look and compare prices and specs.

mphelps

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
With response to beerandcandy's post:

>that panel is analog only you want to find one that is DVI-D they look better. >you will have to get a digital add card that outputs DVI-D also

Firstly, the panel is neither digital or analog. The electronics that control the monitor determine whether the monitor has digital or analog support.

Second, the connection to this particular Sceptre monitor is a DVI-I port. Google DVI-I, and you will see that it carries either a digital or analog signal.

Third, all graphics cards that have a DVI output have a digital out. As far as graphics cards are concerned, VGA means analog, DVI means digital.

Fourth, please don't post things if you don't know what you're talking about. It confuses people unnecessarily.

That being said, are you ever going to want to watch HD-DVD's or BluRay discs on your monitor? If so, this sceptre is not the monitor for you because it is not HDCP compliant. For more information, you can google HDCP or HDCP monitors. To watch the next generation of digital media, you will need to find a monitor and a graphics card that are HDCP compliant. For me, this was a determining factor in my monitor purchase. I didn't want my new monitor to be obsolete as soon as I purchased it. I hope that helps if you choose to go widescreen.

DryOkole

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2006
I definitely need the desktop space as I do video editing. Currently I have two monitors set up with dual DVI. So what are the characteristics and specifics of a good lcd widescreen? I plan on going to frys today on the way home form work, wanted to look and compare prices and specs.

One thing to note, I've noticed that Fry's is not a good place to compare image quality because so many people mess with the settings and Fry's employees don't care and/or don't know enough about their products.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Widescreen is definetly a good choice for a monitor. you will like the extra desktop space that the widescreen offers

Widescreen offers less screen real estate than a normal monitor of the same size.

Unless you have specific applications in mind that you would benifit from the widescreen aspect ratio (excel, dvd's) your better off with the normal aspect ratio.

Personally I wouldn't consider widescreen unless I had no other choice, I simply get very annoyed by it at times (too much additional downward scrolling). The problem being most things are designed to fit into the old aspect ration.

kamel5547

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

One thing to note, I've noticed that Fry's is not a good place to compare image quality because so many people mess with the settings and Fry's employees don't care and/or don't know enough about their products.

Actually thats true of any store. The problem is the sales staff can tweak the settigns to make whatever monitor/TV they want to sell look better. Do not base your purchase on what "looks" good as you may have a difficult time replicating the look. OMO your better off looking for a good set of reviews and working from there.

I would look for:
a) Good response time, make sure they state the testing methodology as different methods return different results
b)Spec'd brightness and contrast ratio
c)Max res, this is determined by the screen size so determine what resolution you want and pick the monitor whose maximum resolution matches that (you don't want ot downgrade the reolution from the max as it looks horrible).

Of course once I narrowed it down on those I'd start lookign for reviews, I've noticed the Acer's seem to do fairly well in user reviews and are very decently priced.

acfou

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
yes, definitely worth it ... here is my setup with 3 widescreens turned in portrait ... incredible to have more than a full page up on each monitor

my setup, plus links to the items I purchased are here
http://www.instructables.com/id/EXLOGYUZR9EUMVDT56/

FACEAV7L55EUMVDT4H.medium.jpg