Sign in with
Your question

nVidia to be acquired by Intel? Holy s#@t!

Last response: in CPUs
October 4, 2006 7:49:31 PM

Now, this isn't an Inquirer article, but I will still take it with a grain of salt.

If this is true, what will happen to dedicated GPUs? And, will this allow nVidia to use Intel's fab capacity and 65 and future 45nm technologies?

Here's the article:
nVidia and Intel

Does this mean I can get a free nVidia card now?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2006 7:53:23 PM

Wow that would be a bomb, I would be quick to say NO way! but then AMd did acquire ATI...

I've read that intel acquired a lot of graphic cards engineer recently and that they might have plan to enter the discreet graphic business, I guess they could just buy nVidia...

Personnaly I dont think it would be good for the market but who knows..
October 4, 2006 7:58:21 PM

I personally think they might form a partnership or something similar, where nVidia could use fab capacity and maybe even help develop a new IGP for mobile computing.

I don't see a real takeover or merger happening, since it wouldn't pass FTC or even any of the overseas fair trade systems, imo.

It's just interesting, cause if nVidia does allow Intel to partner with them, it could be a whole different ballgame again.
Related resources
October 4, 2006 8:34:40 PM

And then we'll have VIA fanboys. This ain't happening. The tech gods simply won't allow it.
October 4, 2006 8:43:21 PM

DONT FORGET SIS!!!! actually i imagine how much longer that company can stay afloat..
October 4, 2006 8:44:11 PM

You'd have the Intel/AMD people and everyone else banding together to fight the common evil.
VIA itself isn't that bad, but.... fanboys of the smaller companies scare the hell outta me.
What would be cool is if we could run AMD CPU's in intel boards and vice versa. But alas, this isn't going to happen either.
Those where the good ol' days. Or so I've been told.
October 4, 2006 8:46:42 PM

ya the days of socket 5 and 7... though i dont remmeber those chips having only 7 pins...
October 4, 2006 8:57:13 PM

Quote:
VIA fanboys are waiting in their hole for this to happen

They'll merge with matrox. Is cyrix or whatever their name was still around?
October 4, 2006 9:00:34 PM

AMD should never have been allowed to buy ATI. Their move made an Intel-nvidia move inevitable.

Consumer choices will be cut from 4 to 2 which means less product development and higher prices :evil: 
October 4, 2006 9:03:05 PM

Wasn't there rumours/'news' of this a few weeks ago? I swear I've read this before.

Meh, regardless of that it's potentially big, but as things haven't really changed (yet) for either AMD or ATi, I really can't predict what'll happen.
October 4, 2006 9:12:32 PM

It might be just Intel and/or nVidia flooding the tech wires with this. Usually, mergers, or news of megers, boost the stock of companies (I'm not an economics major so don't quote me on this).
In any case, I highly doubt that either Intel or nVidia (maybe nVidia, they could gain access to smaller manufacturing processes) would really want a merger.
To me, it would be better for the market if they stayed separate.
a b à CPUs
a c 171 Î Nvidia
October 4, 2006 9:14:23 PM

I think 'speculation' is the key word here, although that was also the key word concerning the unlikely takeover of Ati by AMD and I'm quite sure that's never going to happen so I'm pretty sure that this is just scaremongering by some suit in the stock exchange, next thing is going to be Seagate taking over Maxtor.
October 4, 2006 9:20:33 PM

Quote:
I think 'speculation' is the key word here, although that was also the key word concerning the unlikely takeover of Ati by AMD and I'm quite sure that's never going to happen so I'm pretty sure that this is just scaremongering by some suit in the stock exchange, next thing is going to be Seagate taking over Maxtor.

AMD has takeover ATI. That's not speculation anymore.

As for Intel and nVidia...well, that's something that I just don't believe would make it pass the first set of fair trade commissions.

Anyway, if they do partner up, that could make all those IGP on both desktops and mobile computers better with nVidia technology in them.
October 4, 2006 9:23:48 PM

I am no expert in financial analysis ..... I am just a comp enthusiast and I have been for 10 years now. If we go back to this summer and the ati-amd merger, it started with rumors on the web and it grew to reality in maybe 6 months ..... since we're not insiders, only very well informed comsumers, we can only sit back and wait for more reliable sources.

In the paper this morning (la presse, montreal) there was an article mentionning Intel sold one of its smaller divisions to a Montreal company, EICON. Is Intel sellings assets so as to have more cashflow for a big takeover or merger ?
October 4, 2006 9:29:39 PM

Quote:
I am no expert in financial analysis ..... I am just a comp enthusiast and I have been for 10 years now. If we go back to this summer and the ati-amd merger, it started with rumors on the web and it grew to reality in maybe 6 months ..... since we're not insiders, only very well informed comsumers, we can only sit back and wait for more reliable sources.

In the paper this morning (la presse, montreal) there was an article mentionning Intel sold one of its smaller divisions to a Montreal company, EICON. Is Intel sellings assets so as to have more cashflow for a big takeover or merger ?

No, Intel is selling off assests to make up for the loss of quarterly profits, and to streamline the company. They are selling off alot of their "extra project" companies, and are trying to solely go back to enterprise and desktop components. They are keeping some stuff, like communications, but not as much as before.
October 4, 2006 9:38:57 PM

I'm pretty sure Intel doesn't need Nvidia seeing as they're already the world's largest chip manufacturer; Nvidia if anything will be dead weight.
October 4, 2006 9:50:49 PM

Well, I was wondering when you'd show up. You haven't been around in a while.
AMD aquired ATI for chipsets, and to branch out into Centrino like mobile technologies and such.
Not for IG.
October 4, 2006 10:04:01 PM

Quote:
However, they have never been any good at it.

I'm sure they're *terribly* disappointed that a) you hate them, and b) they rank a lowly #1 in terms of GPU sales.
Synergy6
October 4, 2006 10:15:59 PM

HAHAH AMD AND INTEL coming together.. that would be the day.. yes JUST the sweetest day the logo would be
INTEL ATHLON INSIDE LOL
October 4, 2006 10:16:54 PM

This seems unfeasible, but that's what people thought when the rumors of AMD+ATI first started appearing.

I'll take this with a grain of salt, but I won't be surprised if it happens.

I have one question, though: What will happen to 3dfx :lol:  ?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 4, 2006 10:18:45 PM

Lol! thanks Synergy!

They are so bad, they only make IGP!!!

But seriously, since they dont touch ATi anymore, no crossfire support after the 965 chipset that barely made it...

Than SLI never was licensed fom some reason, and apparently they acquired engineer from 3DLabs(if I rember correctly) so rumors are that they would enter the Discrete Graphic segment.

discrete as in non integrated as in never done by intel before... you know
October 4, 2006 10:52:36 PM

Quote:

HEY!!!! Whats wrong with VIA!!!!

Ooops. I popped up to soon, didnt I?
October 4, 2006 11:08:54 PM

Quote:
As for Intel and nVidia...well, that's something that I just don't believe would make it pass the first set of fair trade commissions.

How do you come to this conclusion? I really don't see how an AMD/ATI merger is any different than an Intel/Nvidia merger.
October 4, 2006 11:20:00 PM

If it happens, I hope it doesn't foretell the day when only Nvidia cards will work in Intel boards and only ATI cards will work in AMD boards. That would truely suck.
October 4, 2006 11:20:09 PM

Intel will not hesitate to acquire nVidia if it believes that the AMD+ATI deal will result in a decisive advantage on AMD's side

This is exactly what I said a couple of months ago though it doesn't mean that Intel will most certainly buy nVidia. Keywords here are A DECISIVE ADVANTAGE.

Folding@Home's experimental use of ATI GPU's for floating point calculations might open a few very interesting doors for this game-only otherwise unutilized heavy-weight resource.

If Intel's mighty Conroe is hummiliated by an average AMD K8 beefed up by an avarage ATI GPU chip (or combined which doesn't matter a lot at this point), Intel's newly hired graphics engineers whose job is to manufacture chips that can hardly display a Windows desktop on corporate PC's won't be enough to counter AMD.

Just a thought...
October 4, 2006 11:23:16 PM

Quote:

HEY!!!! Whats wrong with VIA!!!!

Ooops. I popped up to soon, didnt I?
Quote:
I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.

The enemy has shown himself... ATTACK!!
October 4, 2006 11:39:39 PM

ya because monopolies are awsome! maybe we should just let one company control everything because that would be awsome! the less competition the more awsome!

dumbasses ...

Quote:
Wow that would be a bomb, I would be quick to say NO way! but then AMd did acquire ATI...

I've read that intel acquired a lot of graphic cards engineer recently and that they might have plan to enter the discreet graphic business, I guess they could just buy nVidia...

Personnaly I dont think it would be good for the market but who knows..
October 4, 2006 11:56:23 PM

I heard Bill Gates is gonna buy out all of them............he is the anti-christ you know............. :wink: Armagedon is upon us! Repent! and sell yee nasty little godless machines......
October 4, 2006 11:59:09 PM

:roll: evidently, the torch was passed to G Bush...
October 5, 2006 12:00:48 AM

Quote:

Selling off assets does not increase cashflow.
October 5, 2006 12:01:36 AM

Quote:
I heard Bill Gates is gonna buy out all of them............he is the anti-christ you know............. :wink: Armagedon is upon us! Repent! and sell yee nasty little godless machines......

That applies double to Linux. Use to apply to Mac, but they're as proprietary as Microsoft...
October 5, 2006 12:02:58 AM

Quote:

Intel has been in the graphics market for a long time. However, they have never been any good at it. I think thats why AMD has taken a stab at it. Who will make the high end cards if this happens??

Intel is actually very good at the graphics market. Don't mistake the section of the market that they aim at for what is perceived as dedicated graphics performance however.
October 5, 2006 12:05:41 AM

I thought Reagan was the anti-christ?

I lose track as to who the anti-christ is. Apparantly there are several of them.

quote="caamsa"]I heard Bill Gates is gonna buy out all of them............he is the anti-christ you know............. :wink: Armagedon is upon us! Repent! and sell yee nasty little godless machines......[/quote]
October 5, 2006 12:07:07 AM

Dangit. All these merging companies--must be all Bush's fault :roll: :roll: :roll:
October 5, 2006 12:09:15 AM

Quote:
:roll: evidently, the torch was passed to G Bush...

Word.
October 5, 2006 12:16:29 AM

It is his fault. You think his war is cheap that he chose to go in alone with? it effects companies also as well as everyone else despite what the rich millionairs say about the economy it is in pretty bad shape.

Quote:
Dangit. All these merging companies--must be all Bush's fault :roll: :roll: :roll:
October 5, 2006 12:29:31 AM

If Intel and Nvidia merged or partnered they would have to use up time developing the technology AMD/ATI developed that convinced Intel they needed to get on this bandwagon. So even if this were to happen in a year, the benefits wouldnt be seen for a good 8 quarters, since merger's take time to mature. Given this estimate, it would leave Intel/Nvidia 1-2 years behind AMD/ATI, thus dominating the market and virtually squashing Intel as a viable alternative. This is assuming that AMD/ATI actually create something amazing, that would have Intel scared enough to spend billions of dollars to merge/takeover Nvidia. Then this new Intelividia corporation would, like I said before, have to rush production on a more innovating processor all while avoiding patent infringement, work shortages, and plummetting stock prices. All in all I think AMD/ATI have a decided adavantage over Intel and if Intel wants to be viable in 5 years it will have to make drastic changes to innovate and develope new CPU's and possibly CPUnGPU's. Would be nice to have a unified processors that could handle everything we threw at it, wouldnt hurt if somebody started to develope ray-tracing so our games can look incredible withtout wasted clock cylce's used up to redraw the same image several times. As my local telecommunications giant Telus says, "The future is friendly".
October 5, 2006 12:31:55 AM

Quote:
It is his fault. You think his war is cheap that he chose to go in alone with? it effects companies also as well as everyone else despite what the rich millionairs say about the economy it is in pretty bad shape.

I will not engage in political flamewars, I will not engage in political flamewars, I will not engage in political flamewars (must keep repeating to myself).

I'm sorry you took my joke as being an invite to spread political BS. Let's leave this conversation--nobody is going to change their minds from a discussion on a frikin hardware forum anyway.

Peace.
October 5, 2006 12:38:43 AM

Quote:
If Intel and Nvidia merged or partnered they would have to use up time developing the technology AMD/ATI developed that convinced Intel they needed to get on this bandwagon. So even if this were to happen in a year, the benefits wouldnt be seen for a good 8 quarters, since merger's take time to mature. Given this estimate, it would leave Intel/Nvidia 1-2 years behind AMD/ATI, thus dominating the market and virtually squashing Intel as a viable alternative. This is assuming that AMD/ATI actually create something amazing, that would have Intel scared enough to spend billions of dollars to merge/takeover Nvidia. Then this new Intelividia corporation would, like I said before, have to rush production on a more innovating processor all while avoiding patent infringement, work shortages, and plummetting stock prices. All in all I think AMD/ATI have a decided adavantage over Intel and if Intel wants to be viable in 5 years it will have to make drastic changes to innovate and develope new CPU's and possibly CPUnGPU's. Would be nice to have a unified processors that could handle everything we threw at it, wouldnt hurt if somebody started to develope ray-tracing so our games can look incredible withtout wasted clock cylce's used up to redraw the same image several times. As my local telecommunications giant Telus says, "The future is friendly".

>> they would have to use up time developing the technology AMD/ATI developed

Uhhh.. which is what exactly?
October 5, 2006 12:41:13 AM

Quote:
Intel will not hesitate to acquire nVidia if it believes that the AMD+ATI deal will result in a decisive advantage on AMD's side.

It is an AMD advantage; but, as you said, "decisive" is the word as, in the current context, it implies "strategic".

I'm not that good in economy so, I'll take another [speculative] approach:

1. The AMD/ATi merger granted AMD with a top-to-bottom platform, from chipsets to GPUs, from embedded graphics & comms (ATi had previously aquired the finnish Bit Boys Oy), from multimedia to IGPs (not yet a reality; but, it makes sense); ATi gained [more] projection, market-wise, and a CPU division, only second to Intel's (forget not IBM/AMD); moreover, ATi's manufacturing outsourcing might shift to AMD, in the coming years;

2. As already mentioned, Intel has a streamlined platform profile, from mobile to server & to graphics; some 3D Labs engineers were hired; Intel is second to none in consumer-driven IGPs, profit & market share-wise; although ubiquitous, its GPUs are average, at best; Intel sales cheap, not cheaper; Wouldn't it make sense to strenghten its GPU division?

Down to here, the keyword has been 'platform'.

3. nVidia was left with a strong chipset/GPU market, with high quality/performance products; but, it doesn't have a 'platform'. So, if at one end of the spectrum, AMD/ATi tightens the rope & leverages a highly competitive platform (from mobile to server), in order to face Intel's dominance (in quantity) and, at the other hand, Intel strenghtens & diversifies its IGP division and starts a discrete one, where does this leaves nVidia?

Disclaimer: All the above said is utter speculation.

(...)

Quote:
If Intel's mighty Conroe is hummiliated by an average AMD K8 beefed up by an avarage ATI GPU chip (or combined which doesn't matter a lot at this point), Intel's newly hired graphics engineers whose job is to manufacture chips that can hardly display a Windows desktop on corporate PC's won't be enough to counter AMD.

Just a thought...

Now, this is an entirely different matter. It's very unlikely that, even in conjunction with ATi's [magnificent] assets, AMD will be able to threaten Intel's Core Microarchitecture, either the current one or the upcoming (mind that I said "very unlikely"; and, as for upcoming microarchitectures, neither has it up & running, yet; hence, mere probabilities); and, Intel hired 3D Labs engineers, not cookies; last but not least (not indeed!), fabs are aplenty; no outsourcing.
If Intel starts producing discrete GPUs alone while going through a drastic re-arragement (which I doubt; the costs' overhead at this point would be a severe blow & Intel isn't financially stellar, actually), that would be ill management, in my opinion ; on the other hand, the aquisition of nVidia would only imply an investment... a big - in all dimensions - but unique & without much overhead, initially.

Cheers!
October 5, 2006 12:44:47 AM

I always thought that if someday processor and gpu companys had to become one I always thought of Intel and ATI and AMD w/ NVIDIA.

There has been always a preference on Intel board with Crossfire and for AMD board with SLI but everything changed when AMD bought ATI...
October 5, 2006 12:46:12 AM

Quote:
>> they would have to use up time developing the technology AMD/ATI developed

Uhhh.. which is what exactly?

Exactly. (no pun intended).

Cheers!
October 5, 2006 1:02:21 AM

It would be the technology that gives AMD/ATI a decisive advantage. Who knows what they are up to! I say they will make awesomeness on a chip. Intel wants to be awesome, which is exactly why they'd be far behind AMD/ATI in awesome chips that are awesometastic. It's that simple, anything beyond that is redundant as what I've just said is the derivative of all speculation about this topic ever. Period.
October 5, 2006 1:17:11 AM

Learn to use synonyms.
October 5, 2006 1:17:41 AM

Hey RichPLS,

Long time no hear...

Good to see ya back!!

Or have I just not been on the same threads :) 
October 5, 2006 1:21:44 AM

xxsksskksxxskxsx,

Do you actually beleive the drivel coming from your mouth?

GW is responsible for global warming too right?

and

Alien probes,

and

Crop circles (oh the crop circles)..

PS... I have seen his weather machine and he is the one who caused Katrina ;) 

Foil beanie for xxskcssskjxxsaasxs
October 5, 2006 1:34:51 AM

I beleive we will see STILL a parasitic maybe even symbiotic relationship no matter what happens.

What do I mean by this? I find it difficult to beleive that one company or the other would restrict their business so much as to not support the other.

If for even a little while ATI takes the lead on performance on both AMD and Intel offerings then there markets are much greater.. If Nvidia were to stop making devices that work with AMD then they would effectively reduce their market...

I think not matter what we will see offerings similar to what we see now..

Lets not forget the Apple in the equation.. Here you have a proprietary vendor supporting both GPU platforms (see Mac Pro). This is a smaller market segment but still will have cause and effect.
!