Slow running Core 2 Duo

jw0919

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Hopefully somebody can help with an issue i am having after just upgrading to a Core 2 Duo E6600 and Asus PW5 DH Delux motherboard.

First off the system was running very slow, now i set the PC up with RAID 5 which i have now found out does not work great with the Core 2 however it was way too slow even opening a Word file would take 30 secs.

I found a hotfix on the microsoft web site for ACPI and installed that which has improved things no end however there are still strange things happening.

If i open say outlook and then look in the task manager window there are two Outlooks running instead of one and one will keep hoping up to 50% which i assume is 100% of one core.

About 50% of the programs run which have two entries do the same taking it in turn to goto 50%???

If i close one of the programs in the task manager (the one that goes to 50%) then the program running is unafected but if i dont then every thing slows down as too much procesing power is used up.

Has any body seen anything like this????

If i close one of the programs in the task manager (the one that goes to 50%) then the program running is unafected but if i dont then every thing slows down as too much procesing power is used up.

Has any body seen anything like this????

You can get task manager to show seperate cores...

What temps are you seeing in Thermal analysis tool? / coretemp?

jw0919

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I can easily see the processor load for each core.

My problem is having two of all the programs loaded when i should only have one in task manager.

Core temp goes from 42 - 45 degrees C depending on load.

jw0919

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Fresh installtion and the latest BIOS and drivers.

This really is strange and something that i have searched for on the web, i was just hoping that somebody had seen something like this before.

has anybody else seen Outlook for instance load twice in task manager (except for system) or any other program?

There must be lots of people out there with the same board and processor, could one of you please check.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Fresh installtion and the latest BIOS and drivers.

This really is strange and something that i have searched for on the web, i was just hoping that somebody had seen something like this before.

has anybody else seen Outlook for instance load twice in task manager (except for system) or any other program?

There must be lots of people out there with the same board and processor, could one of you please check.

Is you DDR-2 266MHz or 533MHz?

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I would blow Windows away and start from scratch. You'll probably spend more time trying to fix this than you would by simply starting over. I'd never trust a Windows install that started out badly.

I recommend that you reset your BIOS to optimized defaults before having another go at it. Load the Intel chipset drivers immediately after Windows setup completes, followed by video drivers, sound drivers and so on. If the problem persists after a second install, do away with RAID and start over with just a single drive.

Good luck. If you solve the problem, let us know what worked.

kinda what i was hinting at with the fresh install questions...

Install it all over again, will take 2 hours basic install, vs the 3-4 days you'll spend chasing, i'd question the hotfix too, dual doesn't need it, and I doubt MS would release anything mobo vendor specific... you may have gotten the wrong end of stick installing this.

Forgive dodgy typing, its thursday, have been to pub... :D

just done basic typing check, god there was a lot of gibberish... :D :D

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I would blow Windows away and start from scratch. You'll probably spend more time trying to fix this than you would by simply starting over. I'd never trust a Windows install that started out badly.

I 100% agree with this one... Windows is gay if instlled wrong... And realy gay if installed wrong 5 times in a row like it happend to me! :oops:

jw0919

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
How can you install windows wrong?

I installed XP with SP2 as normal then the latest chipset drivers followed by all the other drivers always with the latest from the web.

Cant think of were it could go wrong unless you need a special switch to be added at the start to make XP do something specific on install.

I could use a linux CD boot disk i guess to double check the hardware.

I dont really want to have to start again, checked HAL and that was looking at dual processors.
:(

How can you install windows wrong?

I installed XP with SP2 as normal then the latest chipset drivers followed by all the other drivers always with the latest from the web.

Cant think of were it could go wrong unless you need a special switch to be added at the start to make XP do something specific on install.

I could use a linux CD boot disk i guess to double check the hardware.

I dont really want to have to start again, checked HAL and that was looking at dual processors.
:(

Just do it, no special switch I am aware of, I just inserted disk and watched TV while it did stuff. If it happens after another install you have a problem.

Have you tried asking microsoft, you are entitled to support given that you have a license, they should know what is causing it.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Or simply, you have a faulty component, usually your motherboard. My friend with Asus P5NSLI-Deluxe had a problem where it would crash so many times, and he had to attempt to install OS 7-8 times or so. Got a new board, fixed the problem.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
Did you see if SpeedStep is enabled? If so, your processor might be running as slow as 1.86Ghz...

but still I dont think that might give the system a slow down. Check the latencies of your RAM and also the frequencies for your CPU and videocard.