Sign in with
Your question

Help! $4 via paypal for working solution!

Last response: in Systems
October 4, 2006 8:31:45 PM

The rig i'm currently trying to get to work:

ASROCK 775Dual-VSTA

512mb pc2700 ram

Pentium D 820

tyan tachyon 9600pro 128mb

I connect it all up (correctly) and turn it on. Everything whirs up, but monitor stays blank (no output from gfx card). After about 20 seconds, i start hearing continuous high-low-high-low beeps (infinite). Figuring it's the ram, I try switching it to another 512mb pc2700, as apparently the beeps correspond to that.
Same thing happens.

I remove the graphics card (9600pro), and turn it on. Everything whirs up and there are no beeps after 20 secs, but not much use with no monitor connected up. On putting back the gfx card back, I realise that the beeps are coming from the card itself.

Is this possible? What does it mean? Any incompatibility issues between ASrock boards and 9600pros?

Of note: I know the graphics card works fine - I was using it today in another PC. Also, the same problem has occurred before with another ASRock board, the K7 Upgrade, with different RAM, processor. Same Chassis, same PSU.

Any help, literally ANY, would be a massive help as I am tearing my hair out.

Many thanks in advance.
October 4, 2006 9:21:08 PM

As I remember, that Mobo doesnt supply enough voltage to the 9800, or the 9600. It is a known issue w/no solution. Your only action at this time is to upgrade your mobo.

The high and low tones comming from the Motherboard support this. There is no speakers on the video card.
October 4, 2006 9:46:38 PM

Are you absolutely sure? Why is this

If that is the case, it's not the end of the world, as an XFX Geforce 7600 GS AGP 256mb is on it's way. That'll work fine, right?
Related resources
October 4, 2006 9:51:30 PM

I am absolutly sure about the 9800's because our shop has delt with that mobo and those cards. I remember in my research that this rule also applied to the 9600's too. The beeping would confirm this.

If everything works then there is nothing wrong. If there is nothing wrong, then thats the only thing left, unless your power supply is 150 watts.

Please DONT GET that mobo again. its a HORRIBLE brand. Hope that helps!
October 5, 2006 1:36:14 PM

Well you want to take heed with any advice, but looks like we got a fanboi here. I can only speak from experience and ASRock boards are on the very bottom of the quality list. However, that link does look like they have improved qualty advertising at least a little bit. The ASRock lines I work with are the older models w/agp 1/2/4x, nothing too new.

Advertising is a wonderfull way of convincing people their product is good.
October 5, 2006 2:07:27 PM

The new Asrock mobo got some decent reviews, but that still doesn't mean you don't have a faulty mobo... could you possibly try a different graphic card and see if it works?
October 5, 2006 2:11:45 PM

Im not saying the motherboard is faulty. The older 775 mobos just didnt supply the energy needs of the 96/9800 ATI video cards. It was a known issue. I reread the post and I thought he tried an older video card in the AGP slot.

I would recomend testing an older AGP video card laying around or from a friend. Then you can rule out the AGP slot being fried.
October 5, 2006 2:41:53 PM

Quote:
Well you want to take heed with any advice, but looks like we got a fanboi here. I can only speak from experience and ASRock boards are on the very bottom of the quality list. However, that link does look like they have improved qualty advertising at least a little bit. The ASRock lines I work with are the older models w/agp 1/2/4x, nothing too new.

Advertising is a wonderfull way of convincing people their product is good.

I bought the same mobo as this guy has. Actually mine has been ultra reliable.

The only issue I have ever had with it turned out to be the default and auto bios settings are stupid: Once I borrowed some ram to allow me to boot into bios and explicitly set the right bios values for ram speed and voltage its been perfect, never a problem.

With regard to this guys problem: there is a bios setting for video card voltage. Maybe you should borrow another video card just to get into the bios and crank that up. Then reinstall your problematic GPU and see if that fixes it. Actually you should flash your mobo to the latest bios too. Mine came with like 1.1 when 1.8 was already on the website.

Another thought: Is your PSU working properly, and rated for sufficient power for your video card? If you've got say only a 300w PSU that would also be a problem.
October 5, 2006 3:10:34 PM

Well I dont mean to pick on anyone or their opinion on the board. I have only spoken with my direct experience and research and try to stay away from hearsay and the Enquirer. I have worked at a computer shop for the last 8 years, so I get used to trends of failures. It wasnt uncommon that we would see 4-6 of the same falures at once, from anything from motherboards to hard drives. I have worked with a bunch of the older ASRock mobos and have seen some quality issues with them, including the incompatibility with the 98/9600 vid cards. I can not say anything about the new ones though, it does looked like they have gone to a ways improve their image though... but image isnt everything.

edit: As soon as an older AGP video card is tested... we will know for sure. Also, make sure your not using a 200watt psu. :) 
October 5, 2006 3:51:00 PM

Asrock has had some nice improvements, offering better stability than before, at least their latest mobo, so its not such a bad buy anymore.

I guess in this case, the past is the past, even if it still lingers a bit.
October 5, 2006 3:56:14 PM

I am to lazy to look this up right now but....

I would bet (Gentelmens bet that is) that the AsRock board AGP slot only supports 1.5v*

And I would further "bet" that the 9600 your using needs more than that.

*I have a dual board also and the AGP slot is 1.5v only.
October 5, 2006 4:42:58 PM

thats what I said. Its causing that particular beeping pattern. But I was suggesting other methods to make sure all reasonal options were discussed.
October 5, 2006 8:39:12 PM

Quote:
thats what I said. Its causing that particular beeping pattern. But I was suggesting other methods to make sure all reasonal options were discussed.

LOL. I didnt see the voltage spec when scanning the text. So being very lazy today I figured it wasnt there.
October 5, 2006 8:44:56 PM

Thanks for filling in the details then! We can share the $4.
October 5, 2006 8:59:39 PM

Ok!

Thanks a bunch to everyone for their replies!

I can confirm i've got a 400w PSU, so that shouldn't be the issue.

I don't have a spare agp card, so i can't test the socket...

I'm waiting on an order for an agp card at the moment, - a xfx 256mb 7600gs AGP, but from a shoddy site who from what i've heard are unlikely to ever deliver it... UK BUYERS.....NEVER EVER USE WESTAVON-SYSTEMS.co.uk, they are a bunch of f***ing crooks.

So I'm thinking about buying another graphics card, probably pci-e. However, is it true that my mobo, the 775dual-vsta has limited PCI-E capability? like it only supports it to 4x or something?

If that is the case, is it worth getting a nice pci-e card like this?:

256Mb ASUS 7600GT, PCI-E (x16), Mem 1400 MHz, GPU 560 MHz, 12 Pipes, Dual DVI-I/S-Video
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...

or will the mobo limit this?

Thanks again, and I will give out the $4 when i'm up and running! Keep posting the seriously helpful messages!

Cheers :) 
October 5, 2006 9:12:15 PM

You dotn have PCIe. You need a new motherboard for that.
October 5, 2006 9:15:56 PM

Uh, what?

I DO!

Shit, you're scaring me now...look it up!

I hope to God you're wrong; it says pci-e on the box - i'm looking at it right now...

I've got an ASROCK LGA775 DUAL-VSTA.
October 5, 2006 9:26:15 PM

Quote:
You dotn have PCIe. You need a new motherboard for that.

Sorry, but that mobo DOES have a PCIe (as well as supports both DDR and DDR2 ram) It IS only 4x but online reviews including the one here at Tom's indicate you cannot even tell the difference in performance.
October 5, 2006 9:31:38 PM

You'll be ok with that card (fingers crossed) you've got that scihtzo board :lol:  AGP/PCIe DDR/DDR2 ,strange very strange :lol:  , should be a nice card though the 7600GT that is.
October 5, 2006 9:52:50 PM

Op,

What Comp is trying to say is that some "not all" of the ATI 9600 derivatives require an over volt of just a measily .1V ie 1.51V to be stable. Most will boot at 1.50 but some have issues.

I had the powercolor 9600 pro with 256mb (actually not a horrible card) and it was not stable at 1.50 though 1.51 works.

It would boot but not be stable...

This was on the Mobo in my Sig...

Now have a <cough>X1300x256mb</cough> which is just OK.... The 9600 died and I needed a quick/cheap replacement "now my wifes computer".

GL with your new card..
October 5, 2006 10:29:38 PM

Sorry bout that! You also dont have a processor slot

::Whacks face with dead fish::

Anyway, Thats an AGP/PCIe mobo. Not supported by many people these days. But either way, the problem is still the same. You can not prove to yourself what I am saying is correct though without an AGP card. If the AGP slot is dead the pci-e will be fine. This is not what im saying is wrong thought.

Good Luck let us know what you do.
October 5, 2006 10:35:51 PM

Quote:
OK, another question.

From this list http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?CatID=15&Ca...

which brand of 7600gt should I get. Cheaper is better, but I don't mind stretching £20 either way...

Thanks!

I'd go with the XFX. Almost the best price and best specs.

BTW...DAMN these are expensive! If my currency decoder ring is working properly, you are looking at $180!!!??? You can find these on sale or with rebates for $110 here!
October 5, 2006 10:41:45 PM

Alot of people seem to like EVGA since they have a good upgrade policy "Step_Up"...

BFG as I have read is not too shabby...

It would appear that all are using the same or similar cooling solution...

I would stick with EVGA for the support and the possible upgrade path if you are not satisfied.

Check out www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp

Not sure if it applies to the UK though!!
October 5, 2006 10:46:04 PM

As far as specs go you would then be led to the Leadtek... It has the best specs listed. I would not let this be the lead on my decision since most of these cards ca OC to the same if not better levels than listed on the specs.

Have to ask yourself how far can the Leadtek go vs. the others. I would dare to say that MOSTLY they will all end @ or near the same OC..
October 5, 2006 11:01:22 PM

Quote:

Now have a <cough>X1300x256mb</cough> which is just OK.... The 9600 died and I needed a quick/cheap replacement "now my wifes computer".

Strangely enough, the benchies I've compared show that the X1300 is about as good as a 9700 pro (which is what I have- I was trying to get an idea of how powerful it is in today's context).

So the 1300 should be "better" than the 9600, but still slow by today's standards.
October 5, 2006 11:06:32 PM

OP,

I would truly ask this question in the graphics section.

You might get some better/more educated guesses "I mean answers" in that section. :D 

I am only going off of the threads I have read but they may have a little more info or direct advice from using these specific cards.

Might want to check on support too... Evga just started offering a Lifetime ($$$) warranty on thier products as well.
October 5, 2006 11:09:05 PM

I put it in last weekend as an emergency install and once it was running the machine went back in place and I have not even touched it since.

Just got it working and newest drivers loaded and that was all..

You know the THG video card comparo is not too shabby you might want to try that for a little more accurate info..
October 5, 2006 11:17:50 PM

To be honest many of the X800s and X850s will completely wipe the floor with the X1300.. I would put my X1300 256mb (from what limited time I have played with it) just above the 9600 pro 256mb.

It surely is not known as a performance card.. That is why it was purchased for what is now my wifes computer :) 

I am somewhat patiently waiting for my next build time to come (January/February).. Kentsfield if available..
October 5, 2006 11:24:06 PM

LOL. welcome to rip-off Britain - you should see the price of houses over here :) 

Dabs have got an inno3d 7600GT 256MB for £89.95, so a bit cheaper.

If you are prepared to spend slightly more, you could move up to the 7900GS, which is a stunning card for the money, and can be had for £118 at dabs here:

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=48JM&Sea...

Check out this toms review of the card, it is virtually a top range card and can be overclocked very nicely:

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/09/14/the_geforce_7900gs...

And no, I don't have one so I'm not biased -:) 
October 5, 2006 11:30:54 PM

The siren sound "bee-doe bee-doe" means a power issue. It always means a power issue. Either you have a power cable not connected right, a short in the case, a dead motherboard, or a defective power supply.

Done.
October 5, 2006 11:44:02 PM

Hey Crashman,

I could not find beep codes at all in the downloadable manual for his mobo???

Do you have a reference for those codes?? Would like to see em/provide them for the OP... Would be good info to have.
October 5, 2006 11:51:00 PM

a few years ago i tried to upgrade my mx440 to a 9600,i got the hi lo hi lo noise.tried many things but in the end i sold the 9600,i got a 4600ti to work in it tho seemed the mobo would only take agp 4x
October 5, 2006 11:59:09 PM

My God, this is stressful.

I've bought the BFG 7600GT 256mb pci-e.

I really hope sex_monkey's right.

I really hope Crashman's wrong.

Contenders for the $4

blancj
Comptia_Rep
Crashman
ches111

Remember, noone gets anything until it boots into xp. :|
October 6, 2006 12:01:34 AM

Quote:
Alot of people seem to like EVGA since they have a good upgrade policy "Step_Up"...

BFG as I have read is not too shabby...

It would appear that all are using the same or similar cooling solution...

I would stick with EVGA for the support and the possible upgrade path if you are not satisfied.

Check out www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp

Not sure if it applies to the UK though!!

The EVGA card they show in stock works out to $257 USD! Crikey! The same card (similar) from Newegg EVGA is $112 AR
October 6, 2006 12:09:02 AM

Steve, Steve is that you??

Sorry sounded like you were channeling "The Croc Hunter" for a minute :) 
October 6, 2006 12:36:33 AM

Quote:
The siren sound "bee-doe bee-doe" means a power issue. It always means a power issue. Either you have a power cable not connected right, a short in the case, a dead motherboard, or a defective power supply.

Done.

...and the last time I heard that sound was when the power channel connecting to my 9500 Pro's secondary was being drained too much by another device to supply enough voltage to the card. I switched to a naked power cord, and it worked wonderfully.
October 6, 2006 12:47:20 AM

I forgot most of the beep codes, you can find sites that have them if you google something like "BIOS beep codes" The one completely unique beepcode is the power siren.
October 6, 2006 12:57:49 AM

Have they recently standardized? Just curious (not trying to be an a$$).

Are you talking about a beep code from the PSU itself? Or are you talking about a beep code for the MB reporting the PSU issue?

Again just curious which?
October 6, 2006 12:59:43 AM

Only reason I ask is that I have yet to see (have not been looking too much recently) MB manufacturers using the same/similar beep codes..
October 6, 2006 1:00:35 AM

Award and Pheonix are now the same company, these and AMI all use the siren for a power fault.

Not all beep codes are the same, but the siren is fairly universal. I'm sure you could find a custom OEM system that didn't use it if you looked hard enough...or maybe a Mac :p 
October 6, 2006 1:19:14 AM

Did you take a gander at the Manual for that board? Kinda sparce....

No troubleshooting section at all!!
October 6, 2006 7:15:13 AM

Quote:

Done.

...and the last time I heard that sound was when the power channel connecting to my 9500 Pro's secondary was being drained too much by another device to supply enough voltage to the card. I switched to a naked power cord, and it worked wonderfully.

what do you mean by your 9500 Pro's 'secondary'? And what's a naked power cord? the kettle cord but stripped? yes, I am apparently retarded...
October 6, 2006 7:32:04 AM

Quote:

ASROCK 775Dual-VSTA

512mb pc2700 ram

Pentium D 820

I connect it all up (correctly) and turn it on. Everything whirs up, but monitor stays blank (no output from gfx card). After about 20 seconds, i start hearing continuous high-low-high-low beeps (infinite). Figuring it's the ram, I try switching it to another 512mb pc2700, as apparently the beeps correspond to that.
Same thing happens.

I remove the graphics card (9600pro), and turn it on. Everything whirs up and there are no beeps after 20 secs, but not much use with no monitor connected up. On putting back the gfx card back, I realise that the beeps are coming from the card itself.

Is this possible? What does it mean? Any incompatibility issues between ASrock boards and 9600pros?

Of note: I know the graphics card works fine - I was using it today in another PC. Also, the same problem has occurred before with another ASRock board, the K7 Upgrade, with different RAM, processor. Same Chassis, same PSU.

Any help, literally ANY, would be a massive help as I am tearing my hair out.

Many thanks in advance.

I dont wana be mr obivous but, i would have never bought those brands even if it would have cost me 90$ more
October 6, 2006 8:10:22 AM

in wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASRock

it mentioned it does not support
* ATi Radeon 9600 series
* ATi Radeon 9700 series
* All Matrox videocards (Millennium, Parhelia)
October 6, 2006 8:59:22 AM

Quote:

ASROCK 775Dual-VSTA

512mb pc2700 ram

Pentium D 820

... On putting back the gfx card back, I realise that the beeps are coming from the card itself.

Many thanks in advance.

I dont wana be mr obivous but, i would have never bought those brands even if it would have cost me 90$ more

OMG I just realized he said the POWER FAULT BEEP CODE was comming from the CARD, not the MOBO! This is easy: The MOTHERBOARD IS NOT AGP 2.0 COMPLIANT!

I reviewed an ECS board with this problem: It uses the PCI bus for the "AGP-Express" slot. Because the PCI bus uses a 3.3v signal, it requires an AGP 2x compatible card. This includes 2x/4x/8x cards like the 9700 Pro and 5800 Ultra, but does NOT include the 9600 Pro, which is 4x/8x ONLY. 2x/4x/8x cards support all three voltages (3.3v/1.5v/0.8v), but 4x/8x cards only support 1.5v and 0.8v

So a brand new board only works with cards that are backwards compatable to the original AGP standard of the LAST CENTURY! Go figure.

I haven't tested HIS board yet. But this was EXACTLY the case with the LGA775 board I tested from ECS!
a b B Homebuilt system
October 6, 2006 9:45:10 AM

I suggest more reading.

http://www.asrock.com/support/VGA/show.asp?Model=775Dua...

I don't see how they can support the 9800 (R360) and not support the 9600. (RV360) By the same token, how/why support the R360, but not the R350? Must be more differneces then I relised. I suspect it has more to do with how Asrock implented the AGP slot and less with the cards chip.

I had a reason for looking this up, can't remember what it was however. If anyone wants to make your head hurt, read this.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

Someone at one point in this thread might have said something about power draw and .8V. This is a peeve of mine as the card doesn't draw .8V but uses that number to transfer data. Can you imagine the amps needed for a 100W card that only pulls .8V? (oh wait, don't have to, 125A.) Love to see a powersupply do that....
October 6, 2006 11:32:57 AM

Is it too late to turn your 820D into an 805D?

now how about them 4 smackers?!?!!
October 6, 2006 11:58:51 AM

Quote:
I suggest more reading.
I don't see how they can support the 9800 (R360) and not support the 9600. (RV360)

The 9800 has an 4 pin power connector on the card - does not need power from the AGP socket - but the 9600 has to get ALL it's power from the socket... It would seem the AGP slot on that mobo just can't supply the juce...
!