Better cooling = what benefits?

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
I'm getting a new cooler, an Arctic Cooling Silencer 5 RV2 (and some Arctic Silver 5) mainly because it's much quieter and it blows the hot air outside the case.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186129

The stock cooler sucks. I have to keep it at 82% during idle or at 100% at load. It keeps the temps fairly low (38C idle, 61C full load) but it's noisy. If I set it blow 82%, there's a high pitched squeel (common problem) but at 82% or above, it sounds like a hair dryer.

So, anyway, besides better cooling with the new cooler, can I expect any other benefits? Will better cooling help me OC a bit more than what I have now?

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Good, that's the answer I wanted to hear.

If it runs cooler, maybe I'll risk running it at a higher voltage too.:eek: Nah, I won't do that... I don't want to fry my card as I probably won't be able to replace it.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
an remember next time, that HiS makes an IceQ3 version which is the best stock design to date...

I know their stock coolers are better than anyone else's but I honestly don't think their cards are worth the money. I got my X850XT for $120. Add in another $20 for the aftermarket cooler and it set me back $140 total.

HIS's best X series offering that I can find at Newegg at the moment is a factory OCed X800XL rated at 432/1000 for $291. My X850XT is exactly the same as the X800XL except that it has a stock speeds of 520/1080. The cheapest, non-factory OCed GPU they have is a X800XL at 400/980 (otherwise similar). Either way, I'd be paying more for less performance.

I don't think I've ever seen an HIS card worth the money... but then again, I'm no GPU expert.:lol: If there are some good HIS cards, point in that direction.

GavinLeigh

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
All parts will wear out over time but they wear out faster if you keep it cooler.

I am sure mp realizes he meant to say things wear out faster if they are hotter... but I thought I should correct this error.

There is only one good reason to run your PC really hot... and that is because it keeps your toes warm in the winter. :)

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
There is only one good reason to run your PC really hot... and that is because it keeps your toes warm in the winter. :)

Yeah, I've done that. It's been getting kinda chilly here (in my dorm room in college) lately and they haven't turn on the raidators yet. One day it was freezing so I had ATI Tool display the 3D to heat up my GPU and ran Prime95 stress test... warmed up my room in 10 minutes.:lol:

czar1020

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
this is true. Theoreticly better cooling can exstend the life of the PC. All parts will wear out over time but they wont wear out as fast if you keep it cooler. Heat is a very damaging thing to a PC. So with a good amount of cooling you can up the vCore on your CPU and start getting a good solid OC without worring about rapidly wearing out your CPU.

ditto

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Well I installed it today, using AS5 instead of the included thermal compound and noticed almost no differences in temps.

Stock cooler: 36C idle/60C load
Silencer 5: 34C idle/58C load

And then I tried to OC my GPU even further and... didn't get anything more out of it.

I was kinda of dissappointed but then I realized that the Silencer 5 makes almost no sound and it was only $20. Definitely worth the money IMO.:)