Looking for Motherboard for 805D

Shlomo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I'm interested in upgrading my old Socket A Thoroughbread to something affordable, possibly upgradeable down the line, but a cheap computer that can give me some bang for the buck.

So after hearing about all the great capabilities the 805D has for OC'in, i'd like to try my hand at it. My father and I have done OC projects before, with water cooling, so we have some experience. Right now i'm looking for an affordable motherboard that can get an 805D to atleast 3.6ghz, hopefully higher, with watercooling, my budget is no higher that 120$, preferably below. I like it to be around 100$.

Also if you think i'd be better off with another processor, go for it, i'm open to all suggestions. Just looking for a pretty affordable system capable of gaming, and i'd like to have some fun and expirement with overclocking again.

Shlomo

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
Also if you can reccomend a good 1g (2x512) set of RAM for the OC i'd appreciate it. I'm looking at some ADATA Vitesta DDR2-667, great reviews.

mrmez

Splendid
805 iz mmkay, i have one on zalman HSF oc to ~3.5 stable, tho it will run @80c!

Mobo... figure out if u want AGP or PCI-E?

If its for games, Nforce chipset is prob the way 2 go. I like Asus boards, most are good OC. Can always go 4 a better mobo which can run C2D later. Again... all depends on what u use it for and budget.

For example my 805 @3.5, 1Gb, 6800GS AGP, Asus(wotevathef*ckAGP) will run BF2 on max plus host LAN with no probs. Then again Oblivion KILLS it :evil:

Bottom line... for ~$150AUD, 805 is still great value especially when OC, however it fails HORRIBLY when compared to C2D