Ps3 video card = what in pc video card?

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
Hey guys, need help. Doing a compare and contrast paper for expository writting class in college, and im comparing the Xbox 360 to the ps3. I need to know what the video card in the ps3 comes closes to in the PC world. That way i can use it for $ info on my essay. Thanks guys.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
The console is a little different in comparison to a standard GPU you find in a PC.

However if you wanted me to give you the equivalent of a Xeno....a slightly overclock X1800XT would do it. As for the RSX - nobody honestly has a clear cut definition on its capabilities, unless you feel like consulting an excecutive at sony.....we can only speculate and hopefully come up with something close.

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
okay i did some researching and find were they say the video card in the ps3 matches close to that of the nvidia 7800 gtx. Now i need the video card comparison to the xbox 360 video card.

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
thanks man the for the xbox equivelent. IM buying a xbox 360 for my brothers this christmas. I keep upgrading the Pc every year or so they can play games on it, I've decided its less expensive to buy a 360 then upgrading the pc every year. We are normaly playstation fans, but im not spending $500 on a ps3. Thats enought to feed a small country, lol. Anyway thanks again for the info, this will help on my essay.

narhic_fd

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2005
Wow, a x1800xt video card alone is almost as much as a ps3 alone. That amazing, a $299 xbox 360 that has a dual core processor, x1800xt equivelent , vs. a $400 x1800xt card stand alone.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Well, the X1800XT might be overpriced, but for around $230 you can get an X1900XT which usually carries a pretty large difference.

Tbh, whatever floats your boat. I choose not to buy consoles because its my feeling that I like PC's functionality and flexibility more. Then again its always nice to be able to just hit "power" and start a game up - which is where the console fits in = simplicity.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Tbh, whatever floats your boat. I choose not to buy consoles because its my feeling that I like PC's functionality and flexibility more. Then again its always nice to be able to just hit "power" and start a game up - which is where the console fits in = simplicity.
Why do I have to agree with this? :lol: :twisted:

IMO, consoles are for n00bs, who can't use a computer. PCs are for true people. It also seems to be PC games are better quality in graphics, and gameplay.

TSIllusion

Distinguished
May 13, 2006
just some info... a ps3 3 graphic box has been said to perform as a 7800GTX, but since it is not out NOR sony has released more information about it, you should not speculate that.

ie... you should find xbox 360 COD3 screenies vs PS3 COD3 screenies vs Wii COD3 screenies.

buckiller

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006

IMO, consoles are for n00bs, who can't use a computer. PCs are for true people. It also seems to be PC games are better quality in graphics, and gameplay.

Consoles are not for n00bs... Im usre it has is share of noobs just as PC does... but dont generalize like that...

I know ill have a wii just for all the old school SNS games!!!

And everyone knows im no noob :)

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
The PC besides being capable of being more advanced and, due to price drops and new technologies, relatively cheaper is made for REAL gaming.
Consoles are for simple ppl and 7yr olds.

mandraque

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
The PC besides being capable of being more advanced and, due to price drops and new technologies, relatively cheaper is made for REAL gaming.
Consoles are for simple ppl and 7yr olds.

FFXII....<----That is the shitznit! only 26 more days!...any other game is strictly on the pc though.

crualtortus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I dissagree with the fact that you guys think that consols are just for noobs. And that PC's are for "true people". Seriously, why is it that basically all pc gamers act like pricks on these forums. That may change once I get my artic silver 5... its the last piece i need for my conroe system, but still. You guys need to lay off. 8O

FLA94FD

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I dissagree with the fact that you guys think that consols are just for noobs. And that PC's are for "true people". Seriously, why is it that basically all pc gamers act like pricks on these forums. That may change once I get my artic silver 5... its the last piece i need for my conroe system, but still. You guys need to lay off. 8O

No not noob's just simple minded people, that for the most part live aimless lives as players rarely holding positions of significance to society. Us computer gamer are more likely to be those who make a difference. :D

mrmez

Splendid
This can be a difficult and possibly meaningless queston.

Are you comparing the hardware of these, or their actual real life performance?

If u are looking at h/ware, then xbx/ps will come up WAY short of decent PC components, however, because of the way these 2 actually use these components, makes them light years apart.
Eg: Remember the 33Mhz PS1? That will still have better looking gfx than many 1Ghz systems. Even a 733Mhz xbx doesnt look much worse than my 3.5Ghz CD with 6800. Hell, the gfx card alone cost more than an xbx.
The technical details (if u can find them for ps3) should easily show what is better, but u may have to do subjective benchmarking to show @ what point a PC will out-perform a console.

As for your paper... debate the pros and cons of firstly hardware differences, then real life performance. Finally come to the conclusion we all know.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

Consoles are not for n00bs... Im usre it has is share of noobs just as PC does... but dont generalize like that...

The only fact you have illuminated is the fact that PCs are obviously for people who don't know jack about grammar.

I think that anybody that denies the fact that consoles are a better deal for gaming performance to price is a moron. The manufacturers usually lose money on the console hardware (such as XBOX). Where they really make the money is in the services that go along with the console (such as games that are now in the $60 range + xbox live).

Anyway, I am always annoyed by people who are willing to make idiotic statements such as "PCs are for true people". That is one of the stupidest statements I have ever heard. So, if I like consoles I'm not a true person? How, exactly, do you define what a "true person" is? How does buying a console exclude me from this list? How does buying a PC include me?

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

The only fact you have illuminated is the fact that PCs are obviously for people who don't know jack about grammar.

I think that anybody that denies the fact that consoles are a better deal for gaming performance to price is a moron. The manufacturers usually lose money on the console hardware (such as XBOX). Where they really make the money is in the services that go along with the console (such as games that are now in the $60 range + xbox live).

Anyway, I am always annoyed by people who are willing to make idiotic statements such as "PCs are for true people". That is one of the stupidest statements I have ever heard. So, if I like consoles I'm not a true person? How, exactly, do you define what a "true person" is? How does buying a console exclude me from this list? How does buying a PC include me?

Buying every part and reseaching alot about it, putting it all together with your own hands, tweaking everything for it work how you want it to, installing the game, tweaking the games settings for it to look how you want it, and last and most importantly having the pride that you have something unique in your hands and that you know exactly how everything works. That is "true" people.

Going to kmart buying the console and a game, poping it in and pushing the ON buttom. Those are "simple" people.

randomizer

Champion
I dont really like consoles because of the annoying noise they make while constantly accessing the disk. Have you ever listened to an xbox while playing in a quiet part of a game, its really annoying! On the other hand, theres no installation needed so it has its pros and cons. A console is for people who dont want to spend hundreds of $ on a gaming pc but still want a bit of occasional entertainment.

OMFG another console thread! :roll:

Die consolers die.

Anywhoo, the RSX is based on the NV47 (GF7800-512) according to Sony's own presentation;

3dps309go0.jpg

Now it seems likely that it would match the G71/GF7900 considering the timing of the original presentation and the original release dates (btw delays don't mean better chips as nV already agreed to the design etc, a new chips would mean even more delays).

Anywhoo, abilities wise the R500/Xenos>RSX, however speedwise we don't know yet, the RSX could easily be a far faster chip overall, just not as many options. The only crippling factor is that 128bit memory.

BTW, I have owned tons of consoles, now currently on the Xbox (and PSP) and will likely move to the X360 or PS3 for their HD-DVD/BR features, but the most attractive console to me is the Wii and it's easy to say it's not because of the raw power/abilities, but the way the features are exploited, plus other stuff.

Tyrvidar

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2003

I agree. The PC is more of an experience then a console. Consoles are starting to become more PC like in their efforts.

Going to kmart buying the console and a game, poping it in and pushing the ON buttom. Those are "simple" people.

Oh come on... Really.. Ever thought that some people have better things to do with their time? From what you are saying 'Simple' is anybody that does not choose to roll their own. I used to build my own Hi-Fi, roll my own cables, work out volumes for speaker cabs etc... then in dawned on me... there are LOTS of poeple out there that can do it better than me... Why not stop farting around with sticky back plastic and actually get on with enjoying the music.

Your settings may be twaked, your 3dMark score awsome.. but your console fans have already completed the first two levels and have not need to insert ear plugs to cope with the noise from their hardware.

At the end of the day mate you are still just a consumer..

rquinn19

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I think most PC gamers game for different reasons...I have a PC, Xbox and Xbox 360. There are certain things that each one does better than the other. U can see this just by looking at what people are playing on their PC. The consoles are definately better in the sports game department, I never see Madden on anyones now playing list. PC's arent as easily capable of accomadating a group of people. I've never went over a friends house and 8 of us sat around playing each other in game on the PC. However in households all over the world this happens daily with games that can't be done on a PC without a super graphics card and large display. A console can easily be moved. How many people with a PC has thrown it in their bookbag and took it to a friends house or on a trip. BTW my Xbox is modded and I wouldnt trade it for anything...250GB hard drive and Xbox Media Center! I can't even tell you the last time I played a game on it.

The bottomline of my opinions is that people that only swear by PC gaming dont have any real friends (people they can actually touch not someone 300 miles away over the internet or someone they dont really know at a LAN party). PC's are great for individual use (gaming over the internet or single player).

antikristuseke

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
The bottomline of my opinions is that people that only swear by PC gaming dont have any real friends (people they can actually touch not someone 300 miles away over the internet or someone they dont really know at a LAN party). PC's are great for individual use (gaming over the internet or single player).

Right, PC's arent that difficult to move, in fact me and my friends have had mini lan parties on several occasions. Anyway all this console vs pc stuff is bullshit since there are only subjective views on the mater and there is objective view in existance.
I do, however, swear by the PC and see consoles as nothing more than a distraction for games developers giving them less time to develop great pc games, but each to their own.

rquinn19

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006

Right, PC's arent that difficult to move, in fact me and my friends have had mini lan parties on several occasions. Anyway all this console vs pc stuff is bullshit since there are only subjective views on the mater and there is objective view in existance.
I do, however, swear by the PC and see consoles as nothing more than a distraction for games developers giving them less time to develop great pc games, but each to their own.

Its that simle to take your PC with you on a road trip for entertainment in a hotel? U really cant say its that easy when you need the bigger case and your display keyboard and whatever else.