Sign in with
Your question

Ps3 video card = what in pc video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 5, 2006 12:21:23 AM

Hey guys, need help. Doing a compare and contrast paper for expository writting class in college, and im comparing the Xbox 360 to the ps3. I need to know what the video card in the ps3 comes closes to in the PC world. That way i can use it for $ info on my essay. Thanks guys.
October 5, 2006 12:26:39 AM

The console is a little different in comparison to a standard GPU you find in a PC.

However if you wanted me to give you the equivalent of a Xeno....a slightly overclock X1800XT would do it. As for the RSX - nobody honestly has a clear cut definition on its capabilities, unless you feel like consulting an excecutive at sony.....we can only speculate and hopefully come up with something close.
October 5, 2006 12:28:31 AM

okay i did some researching and find were they say the video card in the ps3 matches close to that of the nvidia 7800 gtx. Now i need the video card comparison to the xbox 360 video card.
Related resources
October 5, 2006 12:34:27 AM

thanks man the for the xbox equivelent. IM buying a xbox 360 for my brothers this christmas. I keep upgrading the Pc every year or so they can play games on it, I've decided its less expensive to buy a 360 then upgrading the pc every year. We are normaly playstation fans, but im not spending $500 on a ps3. Thats enought to feed a small country, lol. Anyway thanks again for the info, this will help on my essay.
October 5, 2006 12:39:13 AM

Wow, a x1800xt video card alone is almost as much as a ps3 alone. That amazing, a $299 xbox 360 that has a dual core processor, x1800xt equivelent , vs. a $400 x1800xt card stand alone.
October 5, 2006 12:53:16 AM

Well, the X1800XT might be overpriced, but for around $230 you can get an X1900XT which usually carries a pretty large difference.

Tbh, whatever floats your boat. I choose not to buy consoles because its my feeling that I like PC's functionality and flexibility more. Then again its always nice to be able to just hit "power" and start a game up - which is where the console fits in = simplicity.
October 5, 2006 12:58:43 AM

Quote:
Tbh, whatever floats your boat. I choose not to buy consoles because its my feeling that I like PC's functionality and flexibility more. Then again its always nice to be able to just hit "power" and start a game up - which is where the console fits in = simplicity.

Why do I have to agree with this? :lol:  :twisted:

IMO, consoles are for n00bs, who can't use a computer. PCs are for true people. It also seems to be PC games are better quality in graphics, and gameplay.
October 5, 2006 12:59:13 AM

just some info... a ps3 3 graphic box has been said to perform as a 7800GTX, but since it is not out NOR sony has released more information about it, you should not speculate that.

ie... you should find xbox 360 COD3 screenies vs PS3 COD3 screenies vs Wii COD3 screenies.
October 5, 2006 1:27:37 AM

Quote:

IMO, consoles are for n00bs, who can't use a computer. PCs are for true people. It also seems to be PC games are better quality in graphics, and gameplay.

Consoles are not for n00bs... Im usre it has is share of noobs just as PC does... but dont generalize like that...

I know ill have a wii just for all the old school SNS games!!!

And everyone knows im no noob :) 
October 5, 2006 1:37:09 AM

The PC besides being capable of being more advanced and, due to price drops and new technologies, relatively cheaper is made for REAL gaming.
Consoles are for simple ppl and 7yr olds.
October 5, 2006 1:52:47 AM

Quote:
The PC besides being capable of being more advanced and, due to price drops and new technologies, relatively cheaper is made for REAL gaming.
Consoles are for simple ppl and 7yr olds.

FFXII....<----That is the shitznit! only 26 more days!...any other game is strictly on the pc though.
October 5, 2006 2:18:04 AM

I dissagree with the fact that you guys think that consols are just for noobs. And that PC's are for "true people". Seriously, why is it that basically all pc gamers act like pricks on these forums. That may change once I get my artic silver 5... its the last piece i need for my conroe system, but still. You guys need to lay off. 8O
October 5, 2006 2:25:03 AM

Quote:
I dissagree with the fact that you guys think that consols are just for noobs. And that PC's are for "true people". Seriously, why is it that basically all pc gamers act like pricks on these forums. That may change once I get my artic silver 5... its the last piece i need for my conroe system, but still. You guys need to lay off. 8O

No not noob's just simple minded people, that for the most part live aimless lives as players rarely holding positions of significance to society. Us computer gamer are more likely to be those who make a difference. :D 
October 5, 2006 2:43:02 AM

From what we know so far, the PS3's GPU is a G71 based core with only 8 ROPs enabled, clocked at 550MHz.
October 5, 2006 3:20:20 AM

This can be a difficult and possibly meaningless queston.

Are you comparing the hardware of these, or their actual real life performance?

If u are looking at h/ware, then xbx/ps will come up WAY short of decent PC components, however, because of the way these 2 actually use these components, makes them light years apart.
Eg: Remember the 33Mhz PS1? That will still have better looking gfx than many 1Ghz systems. Even a 733Mhz xbx doesnt look much worse than my 3.5Ghz CD with 6800. Hell, the gfx card alone cost more than an xbx.
The technical details (if u can find them for ps3) should easily show what is better, but u may have to do subjective benchmarking to show @ what point a PC will out-perform a console.

As for your paper... debate the pros and cons of firstly hardware differences, then real life performance. Finally come to the conclusion we all know.
October 5, 2006 4:58:25 AM

Quote:

Consoles are not for n00bs... Im usre it has is share of noobs just as PC does... but dont generalize like that...

The only fact you have illuminated is the fact that PCs are obviously for people who don't know jack about grammar.

I think that anybody that denies the fact that consoles are a better deal for gaming performance to price is a moron. The manufacturers usually lose money on the console hardware (such as XBOX). Where they really make the money is in the services that go along with the console (such as games that are now in the $60 range + xbox live).

Anyway, I am always annoyed by people who are willing to make idiotic statements such as "PCs are for true people". That is one of the stupidest statements I have ever heard. So, if I like consoles I'm not a true person? How, exactly, do you define what a "true person" is? How does buying a console exclude me from this list? How does buying a PC include me?
October 5, 2006 6:43:12 AM

Quote:

The only fact you have illuminated is the fact that PCs are obviously for people who don't know jack about grammar.

I think that anybody that denies the fact that consoles are a better deal for gaming performance to price is a moron. The manufacturers usually lose money on the console hardware (such as XBOX). Where they really make the money is in the services that go along with the console (such as games that are now in the $60 range + xbox live).

Anyway, I am always annoyed by people who are willing to make idiotic statements such as "PCs are for true people". That is one of the stupidest statements I have ever heard. So, if I like consoles I'm not a true person? How, exactly, do you define what a "true person" is? How does buying a console exclude me from this list? How does buying a PC include me?

Buying every part and reseaching alot about it, putting it all together with your own hands, tweaking everything for it work how you want it to, installing the game, tweaking the games settings for it to look how you want it, and last and most importantly having the pride that you have something unique in your hands and that you know exactly how everything works. That is "true" people.

Going to kmart buying the console and a game, poping it in and pushing the ON buttom. Those are "simple" people.
October 5, 2006 7:04:37 AM

I've heard its somewhere between a 7600gt and a 7900gt. Has memory the speed of the 7600gt but 24 pipes.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2006 7:09:57 AM

I dont really like consoles because of the annoying noise they make while constantly accessing the disk. Have you ever listened to an xbox while playing in a quiet part of a game, its really annoying! On the other hand, theres no installation needed so it has its pros and cons. A console is for people who dont want to spend hundreds of $ on a gaming pc but still want a bit of occasional entertainment.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2006 7:16:25 AM

OMFG another console thread! :roll:

Die consolers die.

Anywhoo, the RSX is based on the NV47 (GF7800-512) according to Sony's own presentation;

Now it seems likely that it would match the G71/GF7900 considering the timing of the original presentation and the original release dates (btw delays don't mean better chips as nV already agreed to the design etc, a new chips would mean even more delays).

Anywhoo, abilities wise the R500/Xenos>RSX, however speedwise we don't know yet, the RSX could easily be a far faster chip overall, just not as many options. The only crippling factor is that 128bit memory.

BTW, I have owned tons of consoles, now currently on the Xbox (and PSP) and will likely move to the X360 or PS3 for their HD-DVD/BR features, but the most attractive console to me is the Wii and it's easy to say it's not because of the raw power/abilities, but the way the features are exploited, plus other stuff.
October 5, 2006 7:21:04 AM

Quote:

I agree. The PC is more of an experience then a console. Consoles are starting to become more PC like in their efforts.
October 5, 2006 9:01:14 AM

Quote:
Going to kmart buying the console and a game, poping it in and pushing the ON buttom. Those are "simple" people.

Oh come on... Really.. Ever thought that some people have better things to do with their time? From what you are saying 'Simple' is anybody that does not choose to roll their own. I used to build my own Hi-Fi, roll my own cables, work out volumes for speaker cabs etc... then in dawned on me... there are LOTS of poeple out there that can do it better than me... Why not stop farting around with sticky back plastic and actually get on with enjoying the music.

Your settings may be twaked, your 3dMark score awsome.. but your console fans have already completed the first two levels and have not need to insert ear plugs to cope with the noise from their hardware.

At the end of the day mate you are still just a consumer..
October 5, 2006 9:28:27 AM

I think most PC gamers game for different reasons...I have a PC, Xbox and Xbox 360. There are certain things that each one does better than the other. U can see this just by looking at what people are playing on their PC. The consoles are definately better in the sports game department, I never see Madden on anyones now playing list. PC's arent as easily capable of accomadating a group of people. I've never went over a friends house and 8 of us sat around playing each other in game on the PC. However in households all over the world this happens daily with games that can't be done on a PC without a super graphics card and large display. A console can easily be moved. How many people with a PC has thrown it in their bookbag and took it to a friends house or on a trip. BTW my Xbox is modded and I wouldnt trade it for anything...250GB hard drive and Xbox Media Center! I can't even tell you the last time I played a game on it.

The bottomline of my opinions is that people that only swear by PC gaming dont have any real friends (people they can actually touch not someone 300 miles away over the internet or someone they dont really know at a LAN party). PC's are great for individual use (gaming over the internet or single player).
October 5, 2006 9:58:16 AM

Quote:

The bottomline of my opinions is that people that only swear by PC gaming dont have any real friends (people they can actually touch not someone 300 miles away over the internet or someone they dont really know at a LAN party). PC's are great for individual use (gaming over the internet or single player).

Right, PC's arent that difficult to move, in fact me and my friends have had mini lan parties on several occasions. Anyway all this console vs pc stuff is bullshit since there are only subjective views on the mater and there is objective view in existance.
I do, however, swear by the PC and see consoles as nothing more than a distraction for games developers giving them less time to develop great pc games, but each to their own.
October 5, 2006 11:03:35 AM

Quote:

Right, PC's arent that difficult to move, in fact me and my friends have had mini lan parties on several occasions. Anyway all this console vs pc stuff is bullshit since there are only subjective views on the mater and there is objective view in existance.
I do, however, swear by the PC and see consoles as nothing more than a distraction for games developers giving them less time to develop great pc games, but each to their own.

Its that simle to take your PC with you on a road trip for entertainment in a hotel? U really cant say its that easy when you need the bigger case and your display keyboard and whatever else.
October 5, 2006 11:30:57 AM

for some reason you just cant compare console with pc. I LOVE PC BUT for some f-ed up reason my ps2 which btw has 4 mb of Vram beats my computer in graphics my computer has a 6200 wich beats that of the ps2 by a lot. and yet the ps2 is better graphic wise but not loading wise.

Also i bet anything that you play some shooting game like BF2 or COD2 a computer versus console the computer guy will win so easy due to the use of the keyboard.
October 5, 2006 12:20:57 PM

The RSX will be lucky to be as fast as the 7800 Gt as they may only have 12 ROP's to acheive higher yeilds. And the clock speed of the gpu is only 550 mhz, with 700 MHZ GDDR 3, with significantly less bandwidth then either the 7800 GT or the 7800 GTX, the rsx does only have around 15-20 gb/s of mem bandwidth compared to 50 gb/s of the 7800GTX 512mb. Also the memory bandwidth is going to be shared with the cell as stated in the sony developer conferences "Don't read from local memory, but write to main memory with RSX(tm) and read it from there instead"-the inq.
October 5, 2006 12:29:28 PM

I will summarize this thread for people that don't want to read:

PC Gamers: Consoles are for newbs

Console Gamers: We're not newbs, we're lazy and want the best for our money

PC Gamers: We are engineers, we build stuff

Console Gamers: We are little kids, we use our parents money to buy shiz cuz we can't afford a computer, or we spend all our money on alcohol (some inferences made here, but prolly not too far from reality)

Yeah, I side with PC Gamers, more so because I don't see PC's just as a gaming platform, but as something I can edit and play movies, record and play music, do work, surf the web, chat with friends, and play kick-ass games. Yes, you pay lots more, but you pay lots more for versatility. Any console game can be played on the computer with no problem. Just buy a controller and your good. Flight simulators, buy a joystick. Racing games, buy a steering wheel. So many damn periphials out there.

The companies are trying to make us buy everything to play games, thus increasing profits, yadda yadda yadda... Before, if you wanted a true gaming PC, you have to go to Alienware or Falcon NW (if you couldn't build it yourself) to buy them, but now that Dell and HP are jumping on the gaming bandwagon, PC gaming is going more mainstream and WILL garner more attention from the game developers and publishers.

Also, with the way console gaming is going, I don't even know if there will be a next-gen console, because it would end up being a full-blown computer. But we'll see I guess. Sony already tried to market their PS3 as a computer replacement.

Damn, I wrote a lot of spiel. I feel sorry for whoever read that whole thing. It's not that I don't like console gamers, but I'm a PC Gamer at heart, who still tries to look subjectively at both camps.
October 5, 2006 12:30:48 PM

Did you buy your current car or did you build it? I'm assuming you went to a car dealer and bought it. Such a simple person you are :lol: 

Having said that, I'm a fan of pc games and not a consoler at all. I just don't agree calling people who buy a console 'simple'. There's more to life than games and building a computer.
October 5, 2006 1:55:53 PM

Quote:
Did you buy your current car or did you build it? I'm assuming you went to a car dealer and bought it. Such a simple person you are :lol: 

Having said that, I'm a fan of pc games and not a consoler at all. I just don't agree calling people who buy a console 'simple'. There's more to life than games and building a computer.

Exactly.

I love my PC for gaming and I love my 360, PS2, Xbox1 and Gamecube for gaming. For games like God of War/Ninety Nine Nights, or sports games, I'd rather use a console. For MMORPGs, RTS and FPS, I'd rather use my PC. I've built my own PCs for well over 12 years now and have owned consoles for much longer.

Both have their pluses and minuses and neither, IMO, is superior when it comes to gaming. It has nothing to do with being simple or being 'l33t', it has to do with what kind of gamer you are and what environment you'd rather game in. lol it has nothing do with being a kid either, considering my 11 year old son can build his own PC, from watching dad over the years.

I will always have a PC in my house, to do other apps besides gaming, so it might as well be a gaming PC. But there will always be exclusives on consoles which won't come to a PC, no reason I'm going to miss out on those as well.
October 5, 2006 3:33:56 PM

Quote:

Buying every part and reseaching alot about it, putting it all together with your own hands, tweaking everything for it work how you want it to, installing the game, tweaking the games settings for it to look how you want it, and last and most importantly having the pride that you have something unique in your hands and that you know exactly how everything works. That is "true" people.

If you take that view, that you are a "simple" people when it comes to buying a car, a house or anything else you did not put together yourself.

To counter your argument, why pay $2000+ for a computer to play games when just as good games are available for a machine that cost $300 ?

Consoles for casual gamers. They don`t want to go through all the trouble of having the right components, right drivers etc just to play games. They just want to plug in, pop in a disk and play. Not having fiddle around with various components and setting.

I would prefer to describe people who build their own machines as "hardcore" or "enthusiast". And those who just wants to play games as "casual" gamers.
October 5, 2006 4:08:58 PM

Quote:
for some reason you just cant compare console with pc. I LOVE PC BUT for some f-ed up reason my ps2 which btw has 4 mb of Vram beats my computer in graphics my computer has a 6200 wich beats that of the ps2 by a lot. and yet the ps2 is better graphic wise but not loading wise.

Also i bet anything that you play some shooting game like BF2 or COD2 a computer versus console the computer guy will win so easy due to the use of the keyboard.

It doesn't take much to beat a crappy 6200. :roll:
October 5, 2006 4:11:15 PM

Still everyone seems to neglect the fact that everyone needs a computer anyways, so why not just buy a nice computer that does everything well instead of just buying a game console that only plays games...

And I know not everyone pays that much on a computer just to play games. You can't say some of them don't work with audio files, or edit videos? What about also using their gaming computer to stream movies to their entertainment center, or music to other places in the house. I would like to see your puny XBox 360 or PS3 even try anything like that.

Also, there are worlds of difference between building your computer and building a house. There are orders of magnitude of difference, since you need to be a certified engineer before you can even think about building a house. Not to mention you expect people to have electrical, mechanical, piping, and architectural skills? Building a computer is a hobby, building a house is not.

Cars can be argued, but no one builds a car due to economies of scale. Not to mention, what the hell you going to put on your insurance? I never saw the "home-built" option there... 8O
October 5, 2006 4:13:46 PM

does nobody stop to think that people might buy a console so they can play with their friends.

theres a reason console's allow more then one controller

anyone who says consoles are for noobs has there head up there a$$
October 5, 2006 4:25:21 PM

Quote:
What about also using their gaming computer to stream movies to their entertainment center, or music to other places in the house. I would like to see your puny XBox 360 or PS3 even try anything like that.

XBox360's (and probably to a more limited factor PS3) are media centers. ;)  The 360 not too far down the road, will have TiVO option (which will write to it's existing HD), too.

HD/DVD capabilities for a 360 will be under $200, or $500 for a PS3, while that functionality in stand-alone (or PC drive) for HD-DVD is over $500 and Blu-ray around $1000.

I'm still not going to say one is better than another. It's all about your needs and your preferences. I have uses for both consoles and PCs. Neither one is 'better' than the other.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2006 4:44:45 PM

Quote:

Oh come on... Really.. Ever thought that some people have better things to do with their time? From what you are saying 'Simple' is anybody that does not choose to roll their own. I used to build my own Hi-Fi, roll my own cables, work out volumes for speaker cabs etc... then in dawned on me... there are LOTS of poeple out there that can do it better than me... Why not stop farting around with sticky back plastic and actually get on with enjoying the music.

That would almost make sense if there were B&W, KEF, Mission, NAD, Rottel, Quad, Lynk equivalents for consoles. Consoles are the Phillips Magnavox of gaming world, heck Dell is the Phillips, and Alienware the Marantz. Consollers are the Magnetbox users of the gaming world. Mass-market, simple to use, but low on features and quality. The only reason I have a console is due to locked down titles (Halo, Mario), and ease of use for drunken hockey, football or racing get togethers, not for features or power. The technical specs matter less than the titles, because the developers set the most important options, not the consoller.

Quote:
Your settings may be twaked, your 3dMark score awsome.. but your console fans have already completed the first two levels and have not need to insert ear plugs to cope with the noise from their hardware.

Sounds like you actually haven't used a console or a computer. :roll:

The X360 is louder than my laptop and louder than an enthusiasts passive or liquid cooling, and I can return from 'sleep' just as fast from the laptop as the Xbox. Of course you can mod the X360 to make is cooler and quieter, but that's not for performance/tech specs as much as making the MAgnetbox more stable and useable, just like PC modders.

Quote:
At the end of the day mate you are still just a consumer..

Being a consumer isn't bad as long as you're an informed consumer and not some Fanboi.

I play on consoles every other day, even more than my laptop now, but the reality is the limitations are much greater than those on a PC, and often those on a PC can be circumvented.

Reality is that technically speaking there is only one console with 'SOME' superiority to PCs, and that's the Xbox and it's a tech spec adv, not exploited power adv.

This arguments been had 8 ways from Sunday and the reality is each has their strengths but in this forum when talking about graphics hardware, consoles are usually on the bottom of the pile, and that's just going to get worse with the G80/R600's arrivals.
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2006 5:01:48 PM

Quote:
does nobody stop to think that people might buy a console so they can play with their friends.

And this is different than PCs with USB controllers?
I always love the myopic arguments of consollers who've never ever gamed on a PC using the TV out and multiple controllers (which can be had in similar style to those on most consoles).

HTPCs would make consoles pointless if it weren't for the software limits set by console makers to subsidise their systems.

But not everyone want's an HTPC, so consoles are for 'the lowest common demnominator' user, not enthusiasts.

Quote:
anyone who says consoles are for noobs has there head up there a$$

No more so than people like yourself who use red herrings to defend their position.
October 5, 2006 5:04:48 PM

Quote:
Still everyone seems to neglect the fact that everyone needs a computer anyways, so why not just buy a nice computer that does everything well instead of just buying a game console that only plays games... 8O

On the flip side, many people would like to own a HD DVD or Blu Ray player so why not pick up a PS 3 or X-box(once HDMI becomes available on X-box) for a lesser price than the current Blu ray players and geta gaming console included. I'm still with most of you that PC gaming is by far a superior product but just making a point that the 'other side' has their advantages as well.

Also, regarding building a car or a home: yes they were extreme examples. However, we can tone that down to building your own bicycle. Why aren't we all building our own instead of buying prebuilt?
October 5, 2006 5:06:08 PM

Quote:

Its that simle to take your PC with you on a road trip for entertainment in a hotel? U really cant say its that easy when you need the bigger case and your display keyboard and whatever else.

The case can be really small if you wish it to be and an lcd monitor isnt that bulky either, besides if there is a tv in the hotel room you dont need a monitor at since you can plug straight into the tv. The keyboard and mouse wont take up any more space than a few games or other dvd's besides i rarely use discs like that sincei prefer to keep cd images on my hard drive.
Ohyeah, ever heard of a laptop? :roll:
October 5, 2006 5:07:16 PM

Atari > any $3000 rig...
Atari FTW!!!!
October 5, 2006 5:23:10 PM

Quote:

And this is different than PCs with USB controllers?
I always love the myopic arguments of consollers who've never ever gamed on a PC using the TV out and multiple controllers (which can be had in similar style to those on most consoles).
HTPCs would make consoles pointless if it weren't for the software limits set by console makers to subsidise their systems.

But not everyone want's an HTPC, so consoles are for 'the lowest common demnominator' user, not enthusiasts.

first of all yer assuming i havent...which i have....but call me crazy but not everyone has a HTPC and if ya wanna play some games at their house its a hell of alot easier to bring over a console then a pc.

Dont get me wrong i love pc gaming to but people have reasons for buying consoles be it money, ease of use, specific games
October 5, 2006 5:35:27 PM

Quote:

I ordered my lift kit, fiberglass tub, 360 v8, it crawls at 4:1 and has Dana 60s on front and rear. My 1986 CJ7 is a killer! Does that mean that I'm a true person compared to the guy who went to the Jeep dealer and bought his Rubicon?

That's a lame definition.
October 5, 2006 5:36:15 PM

Quote:

The case can be really small if you wish it to be and an lcd monitor isnt that bulky either, besides if there is a tv in the hotel room you dont need a monitor at since you can plug straight into the tv. The keyboard and mouse wont take up any more space than a few games or other dvd's besides i rarely use discs like that sincei prefer to keep cd images on my hard drive.
Ohyeah, ever heard of a laptop? :roll:

Youve gotta be kidding...LCD is small but to protect it its not easy to carry around cant just throw it in your bag.

How much do you have to pay for a laptop that will even remotely game like a console...Gaming on a laptop isnt much fun with friends. Hook up the TV out and its not gonna look good on any laptops that arent TOP TOP end. TV out doesnt look that good anyways without a top of the line graphics card which will cost as much as if not more than the console.
October 5, 2006 6:08:51 PM

Quote:
just some info... a ps3 3 graphic box has been said to perform as a 7800GTX, but since it is not out NOR sony has released more information about it, you should not speculate that.

ie... you should find xbox 360 COD3 screenies vs PS3 COD3 screenies vs Wii COD3 screenies.

Can someone give me a link to some COD3 pics .. for PS3 x360 AND Wii?
October 5, 2006 6:24:27 PM

Quote:

so i just went to the butcher and got a steak....i guess im not a "true person" cause i didnt find the cow and make sure he was the right one then cut the meat off myself

or even better....i didnt spend 2 years programming my own game i just went out and bought one....i must really be "simple"
a b U Graphics card
October 5, 2006 6:38:37 PM

Quote:

first of all yer assuming i havent...which i have....

Then why make the comment about "theres a reason console's allow more then one controller"

Both 'allow' more than one controller, and I've always been able to have 2 since my original IBM PC and Apple][ days.

Quote:
but call me crazy but not everyone has a HTPC and if ya wanna play some games at their house its a hell of alot easier to bring over a console then a pc.

My laptop is easier to take than the PS2 and the XboXs, and most HTPc in a shuttle case are only a little bigger than a Gamecube. Even the new slim PS2 is bigger than my laptop which is more powerful.

Even my PSP is challeneged by the Mylo, and new VAIO.

Quote:
Dont get me wrong i love pc gaming to but people have reasons for buying consoles be it money, ease of use, specific games

People do have reasons, but most of the reasons you provide are artificially controlled;

Money: Artificially low because of the back-end (rear-end) financing of consoles with over-priced games.

Ease of use: Granted that is a plus, but also limited use. This is an enthusiast forum, as mentioned for n00bs and simpletons if it's their only device.

Specific games: Game content is controlled by th econsole makers to help that rear-end financing. IF developers made them PC and console then that wouldn't be an issue now would it. And while there are Consoles only titles the same is true in reverse, and the features for games are usually higher on PC version due to publisher mods, or community mods.

So the reasons you give are artificially controlled by the console makers, and are not to the benefit of the ned-user.

Quote:
so i just went to the butcher and got a steak....i guess im not a "true person" cause i didnt find the cow and make sure he was the right one then cut the meat off myself

Actually that's not the argument, going to the butcher is like building a PC, going to MCDonalds and getting what they prepackage for you is a console. The difference is you can make a PC better, the options to making a console better are limited. Like taking your own BBQ sauce to Micky-D's, it's small upgrade, but it's still a crummy Burger. The PC let's you add spices, etc before the patty is made, that's a PC.

Quote:
or even better....i didnt spend 2 years programming my own game i just went out and bought one....i must really be "simple"

Well, considering many of the older crowd like myself here made their own games (my biggest effort was a skiing game, no surprise to many) then compared to many people you're talking to , then yes you would be simpler, maybe not the simplest of the simple, but definitely at a lower level of understanding of what's involved.

My knowledge of current techniques is nowhere near what it was, but then again I've got other distractions now. Not everyone is at the same level, but at least when discussing it, don't embue the consoles with any badge of honour that most of us are willing to give to people who did a good job with their own PCs, heck parting out a DELL properly/well is more of an accomplishment than simply buying the Bue and Blakc or Green and Black/White box at the Wally-Murt. :roll:
October 5, 2006 6:45:12 PM

If you choose one platform over the other based on ego then you are just limiting yourself to all the awesome games out there. There are just tons of games on console that are not made for PC and vice versa. Most people just like to start retarded shit. Forums are just places where people can hide and insult and trash people for absoloutely 0 reason.
October 5, 2006 7:17:03 PM

Quote:

I am way more of a PC guy than a console guy... played just about every major FPS (single player or multi) that has come out in the past few years, a few RTS's, and Oblivion... only games i dont play at all are the MMORPGs...

I am also a freshman majoring in Electrical/Computer Engineering. In high school ive built many PCs...

In no way does my grammer/typing skills reflect the type of person i am/ what i do... If you want to generalize how about lets say people that type alot (PC people) dont care about their grammar/ typing in frums?>
October 5, 2006 7:30:16 PM

the XBOX 360 gfx card is like a modified X1900XT it has the 48 pixel shaders and 16 pipes. the difference is that it has a 500mhz core, with an integrated 10mb cache on the processor itself. im not sure about the memory speed though i do know it is 512mb sharded through the whole system.

the PS3 is similar to the overclocked 512mb nVidia 7800gtx with a 550mhz core and minor changes here and there. also not sure about memory speed.

Both cards are I believe direct x 10 reading cards and vary slightly from there (Desktop counterparts). and the mem is also 512mb shared through the system.

Best I can give ya!

Best,

3Ball
October 5, 2006 7:32:53 PM

Quote:
Forums are just places where people can hide and insult and trash people for absoloutely 0 reason.

And that's why you're here? :roll:

Die Console VS PC Thread, Die! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Click...(sounds of reloading) Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!
!