wireless router; unplugging/replugging from wall to fix HELP

Micho

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
Hi everyone,

been having a problem with my wireless router (Linksys BEFW11S4v.4 and with latest firmware). Up until a month or so ago my internet connection gets interrupted and can only be fixed by unplugging and replugging the router from the wall; it then works for as much as 6 hours or so and then the same. My neighbor says he has the same problem. Apparently is related to my ISP. Now, before you ask, their customer support is close to none existent. Please advice. I can post the screens from my router's user interfase if that's any help.

Thanks a lot.
Micho

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
Try plugging your internet connection directly into the PC.
Is that stable ?

Are you using cable ? If yes then you can sometimes get more info by viewing then logs of your cable modem (how depends on manufacturer/model).

Micho

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes...I'm using a cable modem attached to the router. When connected directly to my PC, the connection never drops. Apparently the problem is in a setting within my router pertaining my type of internet connection. Anything else you could suggest that I try? Thanks in advance.

PS. Can post my screens too if it serves any purpose.

CrunchyFerrett

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I see this problem a lot with cable modems and wireless routers.

When you have the modem plugged into the router, you say the connection lasts approx 6 hours? Is this a consistant time period, or does it last 4 hours sometimes and 16 hours the next time.

If the time in between connection drops is consistant, then what might be happening is DHCP cycling. Some broadband ISP's, in order to prevent customers from running servers on their connection, will cycle the IP address of a modem. Typically, they will cycle the IP on a consistant basis... every 6 hours, every 24 hours, etc etc.

For some reason, Ive found that a lot of wireless routers tend to only accept IP designations from a broadband modem during the bootup phase. If your ISP changes your IP address, your router (most often it tends to be Belkins or Linksys) often won't realize it for hours, unless you manually reboot it.

Hope the info helped, and of course I could be completely off my rocker.

Good Luck

Micho

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks for the comments...I finally solved my problem. Turns out my router’s latest firmware is flawed (version 1.52). On the advice of another fellow poster I reverted to the older version (1.50). Router working back like a charm.