Should We All Get A High End System Between November?

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
As the title says

New nForce motherboard are coming, 680i and 650i. ATI RD600 is coming. Videocards, G80 from NVIDIA and from ATI I dont have that clear yet. New CPUS coming like kentsfield and AMD 5400+ and 5600+ FX-70 etc
There are these new perpendicular drives and raptors, plus RAM memory at 800mhz with low latencies and other stuff, Add to that Vista and DVD burners at 18x

Will november be a good time to upgrade to a high end system?

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I think mpilchfamily is right, you should at least wait until the first service pack for vista is released, this way you can be certain that the prices are settled and that you won't pay the "premium" that new products carry with them.

Patience little grasshopper.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Wait till about mid next year. Give prices a chance to settle in. You will also want to wait till DX10 has it's first revision and the first service pack for Vista is released. Buy then everuthing will have had time to settle in and hopfuly the HD DVD vs. Blue Ray war will be decided.
True enough. If you buy something in November, you will regret it. It's hard to wait, but right now it's your best option.

i8blarg

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Wait till about mid next year. Give prices a chance to settle in. You will also want to wait till DX10 has it's first revision and the first service pack for Vista is released. Buy then everuthing will have had time to settle in and hopfuly the HD DVD vs. Blue Ray war will be decided.

thanks for teh input. between that and this other thread

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Life-Timing-Time-Build-High-End-ftopict203190.html

i feel like waiting is my best option. my old dell 8100 is aging quite badly and i havent really made any upgrades. i read all these reviews about new hardware and want to jump in, but the prospect of next generation hardware is just too tempting to wait for :)

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
No, AMD announced that they were going to release FX-70 72 and 74. I didnt make it up.

Also, Yeah I just some some predicted prices for the G80 and they are crazy. I would recommend upgrade maybe on April 2007 :D

mapex

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2005
there's always new stuff coming, if you need to upgrade now, upgrade now, if you can afford to wait a little bit, wait a little bit, but by the time the first service pack for vista comes out and first revision of dx10, and there's some great hardware out there, there will be rumors of more great hardware with even better performance coming in a month or 2, so why not just wait for that.....

Bigredmeanie

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
Well, I've been trolling these boards for a while and plan on building a C2 Duo machine around the first of the year, I've read that you really should wait for Vista and DX10 to come out before investing in a shiny new rig but I find it hard to believe that hardware you buy today won't be compatible with Vista in 6 months. The worst thing I could see happening is needing new drivers for some of your hardware, but other than that saying "wait 6 monts so everything has a chance to settle down" basically means you'll always be waiting.

There is always something more/better/faster just around the corner, and waiting for it just makes you miserable longer.

Edit: MapX types faster than I do.

ethel

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
YES: It looks like nothing mainstream is going to significantly beat C2D for a while, so that would be a good bet. Might be a good time to buy a new graphics card with the next gen coming out.

NO: You'll pay a price premium for the next gen of gfx cards and DX10 won't be a lot of use for a while. RAM prices are very high as well at present of course.

I spose it depends how much you like shiny new things :)

Then again, I recently set up a P3 1.1GHZ 512MB RAM 20GB HD box for my father and he thinks it's like s**t off a shovel :)

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
....I find it hard to believe that hardware you buy today won't be compatible with Vista in 6 months. .

Any of the GPUs available today only support Directx9.
Vista with a full Aero interface *requires* directx 10 support. The first graphics cards with DX10 are out mid-november.