Sign in with
Your question

Would like advice and ideas.

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2006 3:34:01 AM

Hi I'm really new to building from scratch. Done a little upgrade but nothing much. I'm wanting to give it a try as i do need a better PC than this old thing P3 700mhz....sad i know. I'm trying to learn and will be doing a small course on upgradeing with in a month. I do use a lot of Photoshop CS2 and try play Counter Strike a little bit but thats the heaviest stuff i do.

Anyway I'm looking at the Asus M2N-E socket Am2 nForce 570 Ultra MCP mother board with a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Am2 so far. I figure about 200 gig harddrive would do me to start off.
I'm lost when it comes to RAM and the Case and power stuff.
I have Monitor, new DVD -RW and those things plus money is very tight so any cheepy sugestions would be great. I'm still saving and hope to get a video card at a later date. (maybe)
I also have a Question will I need to put a dial up modem in as i have ADSL?
Would also like to know if those will work good together for what I'm useing. I'm not a big gaming person just play on the net with my son sometimes. Oh and I'm in Australia if that happens to make any difference.
Thanks. 8)

More about : advice ideas

October 5, 2006 11:53:45 PM

Bumping this as I could really do with some advice here.
October 6, 2006 12:32:05 AM

Photoshop is quite demanding so you might need a more powerful processor. Dual cores are getting pretty cheap (sub $100) so consider that. Just how tight is your budget? Could you ballpark the amount? You might be able to buy a Core 2.

A decent video card will do Counter Strike more justice. Again, budget estimate really helps here.

Sorry, don't know of any Australia stores, but many etailers sell internationally.

Finally, DSL, cable, or any other broadband do NOT need an dial-up modem. The modems for these services are external. All you need in the case is an Ethernet jack (RJ45), provided by a network interface card or integrated with the motherboard.
Related resources
October 6, 2006 3:06:40 AM

Thanks djplanet. yeah my budget is only about $500 - 600Au for now but will get video card and that later if i cant get it now coz i know they are dear. Just sort of want the basic's now then be able to add to it bit by bit if I can. With the case I really dont care what it looks like as long as it does the job.
I dont know much about the core 2's much but will concider it and look into it more.
Yeah the Australian market has the Asus motherboard for $145Au & the Athlon 64 3500 AM2 is about $135 to $150Au. The Athlon 64 3500 AM2 dual core is about $245Au.
I know i have to get the DDR2 RAM but there is that many out there it's very confusing. Any advice would be great. Plus I'm not sure what sort of power supply i will need for this unit or of any brands to stay away from so all advice would really be helpfull and very appreciated.

Yeah i thought i wouldn't need the modem as i dont now with my ADSL but I wasn't sure about it so thought I best ask. The motherboard comes with USB and that is what I use now.
October 6, 2006 3:27:03 AM

That mobo supports DDR2 800 ram, so look for that. I'd go with 2 gigs, but 1 can be sufficient. You might want to get an AMD Athlon X2 3800+, they're cheap and good. And dual core. You shouldn't be dissappointed if you use my suggestions, since you're coming from a very old computer.
October 6, 2006 3:39:48 AM

thanks toasty2,
Just priced the AMD Athol X2 3880+...not bad price about $220 here.
yeah it's a sad old sinker that i have and I'm pushing it to the max too lol
I think I just might go for that combo.
October 6, 2006 3:42:17 AM

I'm not sure of supply and pricing in Australia, but in the US, you can get an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ (2x2.0GHz, 2x256KB L2 cache) for $131. Figure $75 for a decent motherboard, ~100-ish for 1GB of RAM, and $70 for a 200GB HDD. However, all these prices are in US dollars.

If someone could post a link to a Australian online hardware shop, I'll go and make a list of parts, but in the meantime, I can just give some (rough) guidelines, as I don't know about component prices down under.
October 6, 2006 4:06:31 AM

Double post; nothing to see here.
October 6, 2006 4:07:01 AM

Quote:
this place has a lot of different shop and compares the prices in Australia.
http://www.shopbot.com.au/ if this is of any help.

I'll make a list later, as its 12:00 AM, and I have to get up at 6:00 AM.
October 6, 2006 4:40:35 AM

Wow thanks Ozzy. I have looked around Umart too. thanks for all that. I'm out on Bribie Is just down the road from you lol 8)
October 6, 2006 4:43:35 AM

Hey all, Im in he same boat, and Ozzy im from brissy as well, and am going through umart.

Like the op. im unsure of a lot of things, could use some help. I came up with this so far.

AMD Athlon™ 64 4600+AM2 Processor Retail Dual Core AM2
ASUS M2-CROSSHAIR nForce590-SLI AM2
DDR2 2048MB(2x1G)PC6400 800Mhz Kingmax
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200RPM(8Mb Cache)
Galaxy GeForce 7900GT Premium 512M DDR3 PCI-E with Zalman cooling solution
LG DVD16X+- Super Multi DVD Rewriter with Software(DUAL LAYER Black )H10BBK
Antec \'TITAN550\' Server Case -BLACK, 550W PSU, Front USB/IEEE1394 & Audio ports, Ext ATX

Any advice on this? Are there better options, or am I on the right path?
October 6, 2006 5:55:55 AM

Quote:
Hey all, Im in he same boat, and Ozzy im from brissy as well, and am going through umart.

Like the op. im unsure of a lot of things, could use some help. I came up with this so far.

AMD Athlon™ 64 4600+AM2 Processor Retail Dual Core AM2
ASUS M2-CROSSHAIR nForce590-SLI AM2
DDR2 2048MB(2x1G)PC6400 800Mhz Kingmax
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200RPM(8Mb Cache)
Galaxy GeForce 7900GT Premium 512M DDR3 PCI-E with Zalman cooling solution
LG DVD16X+- Super Multi DVD Rewriter with Software(DUAL LAYER Black )H10BBK
Antec \'TITAN550\' Server Case -BLACK, 550W PSU, Front USB/IEEE1394 & Audio ports, Ext ATX

Any advice on this? Are there better options, or am I on the right path?

Replace the AMD x2 AM2 4600+ with Intel E6400. E6400 is much much faster and its cheaper too.

Replace the mobo with ASUS P5N32-SLI-SE-DELUXE Intel Dual Core 2 nFORCE4-SLI

Also u might wanna get another case fan to keep things cool. Or u can get a case that has atleast a couple of fans already in it.

Rest looks good.
October 7, 2006 2:21:19 AM

Quote:
Another good price compare site is www.staticice.com.au.

Anyway, i live in Brisbane and usually buy stuff at www.Umart.com.au

Here are some prices

Asus M2N E Mobo - $140

AMD AM2 3600+ Dual Core - $174

Seagate SATA II 200gb - $95

DDR2 RAM 1GB - $175

Coolermaster Case with PSU - $109

You can browse the website to find some cheaper cases and memory.

Hope this helps.

That looks good, but I have a couple suggestions:

Change the case/PSU to this: http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...

Change the RAM to this: http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=1...

As for the video card, you should get this:
http://www.tekcorp.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPat...
October 7, 2006 2:37:24 AM

thanks Flopmouth_Fish,
I've taken all advice on board and got it all down to ponder over. Main decision now just over which case and Ram pice/performance wise.

Thank you all for the help and advice. I really do appreciated a lot.
Thank you all. :D  :D  :D 
October 7, 2006 2:52:38 AM

Quote:
thanks Flopmouth_Fish,
I've taken all advice on board and got it all down to ponder over. Main decision now just over which case and Ram pice/performance wise.

Thank you all for the help and advice. I really do appreciated a lot.
Thank you all. :D  :D  :D 

I'd go for the case that I mentioned, because it comes with a better PSU than the Cooler Master case. I'd go with the RAM that I mentioned because it's lower latency (better performance), and it's a better brand.
October 7, 2006 3:57:07 AM

Cool thanks 8) All taken on board. :D  :D  :D 
!