WinXp Pro and SP2

Does SP2 include all the previous updates
In other words if I were to install XP Pro would I be safe in installing SP2
without installing previous updates.

Regards & TIA
4 answers Last reply
More about winxp

    JRB,

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 includes Service Pack 1 and it's a direct replacement for Windows XP Service Pack 1. Service packs are cumulative. This means that the problems that are fixed in a service pack are also fixed in later service packs.

    For example, Windows XP SP2 contains all the fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). You do not have to install an earlier service pack before you install Windows XP SP2. Similarly, you don't have to uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 1 before installing Service Pack 2.

    List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811113

    Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=835935

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "JRB" <sa3214@eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message news:OtWUXwI0EHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    Does SP2 include all the previous updates
    In other words if I were to install XP Pro would I be safe in installing SP2
    without installing previous updates.

    Regards & TIA

    Thanks for the info

    Do you recommend that that I remove all the previous updates that appear in
    the Add / Remove list prior to installing SP2 ?

    JRB,

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 includes Service Pack 1 and it's a direct
    replacement for Windows XP Service Pack 1. Service packs are cumulative.
    This means that the problems that are fixed in a service pack are also fixed
    in later service packs.

    For example, Windows XP SP2 contains all the fixes that are included in
    Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). You do not have to install an earlier
    service pack before you install Windows XP SP2. Similarly, you don't have to
    uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 1 before installing Service Pack 2.

    List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811113

    Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=835935

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "JRB" <sa3214@eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    Does SP2 include all the previous updates
    In other words if I were to install XP Pro would I be safe in installing SP2
    without installing previous updates.

    Regards & TIA

    No. Just install SP2. But check the info here first

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    | Thanks for the info
    |
    | Do you recommend that that I remove all the previous updates that appear
    in
    | the Add / Remove list prior to installing SP2 ?
    |

    | "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | JRB,
    |
    | Windows XP Service Pack 2 includes Service Pack 1 and it's a direct
    | replacement for Windows XP Service Pack 1. Service packs are cumulative.
    | This means that the problems that are fixed in a service pack are also
    fixed
    | in later service packs.
    |
    | For example, Windows XP SP2 contains all the fixes that are included in
    | Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). You do not have to install an earlier
    | service pack before you install Windows XP SP2. Similarly, you don't have
    | uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 1 before installing Service Pack 2.
    |
    | List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811113
    |
    | Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    | http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=835935
    |
    | --
    | Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    | Windows XP Shell/User
    | http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    |

    | "JRB" <sa3214@eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    | Does SP2 include all the previous updates
    | In other words if I were to install XP Pro would I be safe in installing
    SP2
    | without installing previous updates.
    |
    | Regards & TIA

    JRB,

    You don't need to remove the existing updates. Installing SP2 on top of existing installation would just be enough.

    [Other option]
    If you wish to install XP clean, slipstream SP2 with XP and create a integrated CD. Then perform a clean installation after backing up the data.

    Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2):
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "JRB" <sa3214@eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message news:uJbdNDJ0EHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    Thanks for the info

    Do you recommend that that I remove all the previous updates that appear in
    the Add / Remove list prior to installing SP2 ?

    JRB,

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 includes Service Pack 1 and it's a direct
    replacement for Windows XP Service Pack 1. Service packs are cumulative.
    This means that the problems that are fixed in a service pack are also fixed
    in later service packs.

    For example, Windows XP SP2 contains all the fixes that are included in
    Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). You do not have to install an earlier
    service pack before you install Windows XP SP2. Similarly, you don't have to
    uninstall Windows XP Service Pack 1 before installing Service Pack 2.

    List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811113

    Release notes for Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=835935

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "JRB" <sa3214@eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
    Does SP2 include all the previous updates
    In other words if I were to install XP Pro would I be safe in installing SP2
    without installing previous updates.

    Regards & TIA

Microsoft Windows XP