e6600 system requirements

magikale

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I'm thinking about getting this processor and I'm not sure if i have to get a new mobo and RAM please help me out. I have 266mhz ram (2 1 gig sticks) DDR2. Keep in mind it would help me to get more ram, but i want to know if my current ram is enough. THANKS

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I'm thinking about getting this processor and I'm not sure if i have to get a new mobo and RAM please help me out. I have 266mhz ram (2 1 gig sticks) DDR2. Keep in mind it would help me to get more ram, but i want to know if my current ram is enough. THANKS
Assuming that you do have 2 GB's of DDR2-533, that will be very sufficient in a C2D system.

magikale

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
according to CPU-Z it states that my ram is pc2 4300 type is DDR2 and the frequency is 233 mhz does this help?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
according to CPU-Z it states that my ram is pc2 4300 type is DDR2 and the frequency is 233 mhz does this help?
PC4300 is 266MHz(DDR2-533). Good, that's all that is needed for a Core2Duo system, unless you plan on overclocking. Now, we have to decide if your motherboard is C2D compatable. In CPU-Z, under the mainboard tab, beside model...it should tell your motherboard model name and revision #. Also, beside chipset...it should tell your chipset model, and revision # also.

example.. Chipset Intel i875P Rev A2. :wink:

magikale

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Im about to make you laugh :( its a dell mobo, it is PCI express 16x but i don't think that matters the model number is 0RD203 but im sure your typing i need a new one right now :D lol but remember if i can simply run this processor with my current mobo then thats all i need :D

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Im about to make you laugh :( its a dell mobo, it is PCI express 16x but i don't think that matters the model number is 0RD203 but im sure your typing i need a new one right now :D lol but remember if i can simply run this processor with my current mobo then thats all i need :D
Yeah, it doesn't look too promising for you. Some i945x chipsets will support Core2Duo processors, but a Dell motherboard is highly unlikely. Dell is known for not being very upgradable. :( Dell machines can offer a whole range of problems in regard to replacing components. Some of them(mostly older) have proprietary power supplies, the motherboards are their own, and even the front panel hook-ups can be in Dells own "plug", which makes hooking up power/reset switch's and HDD/power LED's a pain. You can chance it , and try the C2D in your mobo(not advisable) as your RAM is fine, and if it won't support the CPU, then buy a cheaper mobo...like the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA, and hope that everything hooks up okay. Risky though. GL :)

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA: $55.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092

magikale

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Yeah, it doesn't look too promising for you. Some i945x chipsets will support Core2Duo processors, but a Dell motherboard is highly unlikely. Dell is known for not being very upgradable. :( Dell machines can offer a whole range of problems in regard to replacing components. Some of them(mostly older) have proprietary power supplies, the motherboards are their own, and even the front panel hook-ups can be in Dells own "plug", which makes hooking up power/reset switch's and HDD/power LED's a pain. You can chance it , and try the C2D in your mobo(not advisable) as your RAM is fine, and if it won't support the CPU, then buy a cheaper mobo...like the ASRock 775Dual-VSTA, and hope that everything hooks up okay. Risky though. GL :)

Ok i just want to make sure i got all this, even though im fairly certain that i will get a new mobo. If i chanced it and i got the cpu w/o the mobo, is there any major damage that could happen? Also i dont think this changes anything at all but i do have a 7900gt xfx extreme and a 550 watt antec psu so the cpu and possible mobo are pretty much the finishing touches. When i get the cpu and mobo i have been looking at a lower line lian-li case tell me what you think of this case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112022

keeping in mind you know pretty much everything in my system that i would need to OC anything, i would like your opinion on this issue. Pretty much if i OC i am getting a new mobo. If i got that mobo could i OC at all or would i have to get new ram? or would i even need a better mobo and ram?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP, YOU HAVE BEEN A HUGE RESOURCE TO ME.

magikale

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
Im going to bed now i have been working on a paper for a class tomorrow so ill check your response in the morning (830 central) thanks again.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Ok i just want to make sure i got all this, even though im fairly certain that i will get a new mobo. If i chanced it and i got the cpu w/o the mobo, is there any major damage that could happen? Also i dont think this changes anything at all but i do have a 7900gt xfx extreme and a 550 watt antec psu so the cpu and possible mobo are pretty much the finishing touches. When i get the cpu and mobo i have been looking at a lower line lian-li case tell me what you think of this case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112022

keeping in mind you know pretty much everything in my system that i would need to OC anything, i would like your opinion on this issue. Pretty much if i OC i am getting a new mobo. If i got that mobo could i OC at all or would i have to get new ram? or would i even need a better mobo and ram?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP, YOU HAVE BEEN A HUGE RESOURCE TO ME.No, your motherboard will not damage the CPU. The motherboard probably just won't recognize the CPU. That Lian-Li case looks nice, and will work fine. I figured that you had a whole DELL computer. If you plan on overclocking, than the motherboard i suggested isn't a good option. I suggested it because you sounded like you just wanted a motherboard that would run an E6600. The other components that you have planned for this system, look pretty good. If you plan on overclocking, your current RAM may not go that far. If you need a new motherboard, i don't know how much you're willing to spend, as most are $150+. New RAM is pricey now also, as it has gone up in price lots, in the last 3-4 weeks.