mouse button - user defined function

I have a standard 3-button, wheel scroll, wired optical mouse. Is there a
way to define the middle button to act as a control-enter function? When
choosing multiple items from a list, it is standard to choose multiple items
with a left click (or enter) while holding down the control key. I'd be
interesed in knowing if this function can be accomplished in a single key
click from my mouse. Looking at the mouse options I see Ctrl-X, Ctrl-Z,
Ctrl-V, etc but I can't figure out a way to do Ctrl-Enter. Is there a trick
to get the mouse to simulate a CTRL-Enter with a single click? Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about mouse button user defined function

    Hi, jch.

    It most likely depends on your mouse driver and by make and model of mouse,
    which you didn't tell us. My MS Cordless Desktop mouse (not optical) came
    with Microsoft IntelliPoint. I can use that to configure the 4 buttons plus
    wheel to respond differently in different applications. For example, here
    in OE6, the left side button equals Ctrl+U, to go to the Next Unread
    Message; in IE6, it's Back, to return to the previous URL.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I have a standard 3-button, wheel scroll, wired optical mouse. Is there a
    >way to define the middle button to act as a control-enter function? When
    >choosing multiple items from a list, it is standard to choose multiple
    >items with a left click (or enter) while holding down the control key. I'd
    >be interesed in knowing if this function can be accomplished in a single
    >key click from my mouse. Looking at the mouse options I see Ctrl-X,
    >Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-V, etc but I can't figure out a way to do Ctrl-Enter. Is
    >there a trick to get the mouse to simulate a CTRL-Enter with a single
    >click? Thanks.

    My current mouse is a Kensington. As I said below, I can choose Ctrl-X, Z,
    or V and other options as well. What I want is Ctrl-Enter. Can you do
    that?

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    > Hi, jch.
    >
    > It most likely depends on your mouse driver and by make and model of
    > mouse, which you didn't tell us. My MS Cordless Desktop mouse (not
    > optical) came with Microsoft IntelliPoint. I can use that to configure
    > the 4 buttons plus wheel to respond differently in different applications.
    > For example, here in OE6, the left side button equals Ctrl+U, to go to the
    > Next Unread Message; in IE6, it's Back, to return to the previous URL.
    >
    > RC
    > --
    > R. C. White, CPA
    > San Marcos, TX
    > rc@corridor.net
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    >
    > "jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a standard 3-button, wheel scroll, wired optical mouse. Is there a
    >>way to define the middle button to act as a control-enter function? When
    >>choosing multiple items from a list, it is standard to choose multiple
    >>items with a left click (or enter) while holding down the control key.
    >>I'd be interesed in knowing if this function can be accomplished in a
    >>single key click from my mouse. Looking at the mouse options I see
    >>Ctrl-X, Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-V, etc but I can't figure out a way to do Ctrl-Enter.
    >>Is there a trick to get the mouse to simulate a CTRL-Enter with a single
    >>click? Thanks.

    I would suggest checking the Kensington web site to see if they have a
    newer driver. What you want is totally controlled by the driver, not
    by windows.

    > My current mouse is a Kensington. As I said below, I can choose
    Ctrl-X, Z,
    > or V and other options as well. What I want is Ctrl-Enter. Can you
    do
    > that?
    >

    > "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi, jch.
    > >
    > > It most likely depends on your mouse driver and by make and model
    of
    > > mouse, which you didn't tell us. My MS Cordless Desktop mouse
    (not
    > > optical) came with Microsoft IntelliPoint. I can use that to
    configure
    > > the 4 buttons plus wheel to respond differently in different
    applications.
    > > For example, here in OE6, the left side button equals Ctrl+U, to
    go to the
    > > Next Unread Message; in IE6, it's Back, to return to the previous
    URL.

    > > RC
    > > --
    > > R. C. White, CPA
    > > San Marcos, TX
    > > rc@corridor.net
    > > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > >
    > > "jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >>I have a standard 3-button, wheel scroll, wired optical mouse. Is
    there a
    > >>way to define the middle button to act as a control-enter
    function? When
    > >>choosing multiple items from a list, it is standard to choose
    multiple
    > >>items with a left click (or enter) while holding down the control
    key.
    > >>I'd be interesed in knowing if this function can be accomplished
    in a
    > >>single key click from my mouse. Looking at the mouse options I
    see
    > >>Ctrl-X, Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-V, etc but I can't figure out a way to do
    Ctrl-Enter.
    > >>Is there a trick to get the mouse to simulate a CTRL-Enter with a
    single
    > >>click? Thanks.

    I'll answer my own post here possibly for those who may want to accomplish
    the same thing and have a Kensington mouse (what are the odds of this?).
    Mine is an Optical PilotMouse.

    I located a most helpful feature in the Kensington MouseWorks software that
    allows much flexibility in assigning custom button functions. I was able to
    assign "Ctrl-Click" to the middle scroll button (which I never used anyway).
    Now when choosing items in a long list, I don't have to simultaneously hold
    down the control key while I make a selection. I can just use the middle
    button on my mouse.

    >> "jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have a standard 3-button, wheel scroll, wired optical mouse. Is there
    >>>way to define the middle button to act as a control-enter function?
    >>>When
    >>>choosing multiple items from a list, it is standard to choose multiple
    >>>items with a left click (or enter) while holding down the control key.
    >>>I'd be interesed in knowing if this function can be accomplished in a
    >>>single key click from my mouse. Looking at the mouse options I see
    >>>Ctrl-X, Ctrl-Z, Ctrl-V, etc but I can't figure out a way to do
    >>>Ctrl-Enter.
    >>>Is there a trick to get the mouse to simulate a CTRL-Enter with a single
    >>>click? Thanks.

Mice Microsoft Windows XP