janeku

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Recently (2 days ago) I nought MAXTOR 81 GB HDD (type 6L080L0, PATA133).
As a experienced user I set it master, with auto modes set in bios.
I run XP installation, and after first restart, it shows "Eror loading operating system".
I've tried everything, but nothing works (set in LBA mode, change to work in cable select mode). I suspected in HDD so I tried it on P4,3.0GHz with Soltek Motherboard.
It worked so fine.

Does anyone have problem with big capacity disks (60,80 Gigs) and this type of error ?

Desperadly need help... :oops:

I was having similar probs a while back with some Maxtor drives they were 250GB SATA II not PATA's but same issue i.e would run as secondary/storage drives but unable to be used as boot drives, 4 in a row all RMA'd.

I suspect it is not set up as a bootable dirve in the Bios.
Put it as the first boot drive.
Changing LBA modes can result in corrupted data. Best not to touch those options unless you know what you are doing.

janeku

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I must say I've solved this problem sucessfully :D .

I've used FDISK from Win98 to remove all the partitions made on HDD. Then exit program, restart it, boot with boot cd made with DOS files from win98, and restart FDISK again. Made neccesary partition to HDD and restarted the computer again. After boot up I've formatted HDD with DOS Format, with command format c: /s (system disk). After formatting it, I restarted it again and voila' HDD was OK. In BIOS instead of CHS, ATA 133, it stays LBA, ATA 133, and HDD was recognized correctly.

:!: When installing XP I give it a command just to convert to NTFS not to format. And everything goes well.

Just to mention: I did not change anything in BIOS. Settings were set on AUTO detection of HDD with AUTO modes.
Changing of seeting to LBA, CHS, or LARGE results in message like "..corrupted data...press ctrlalt+delete to restart..".
:!: Leave settings for HDD in BIOS to AUTO always.